Author Topic: 30AC Sith Infiltrator  (Read 35208 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: 30AC Sith Infiltrator
« Reply #15 on: February 5, 2007, 08:35 PM »
I for one think it's gorgeous. What it lacks in scale is made up for in playability - with the weapons hidden with in the fuselage and the launching rockets from the wing supports, I'd say it's a winner.

Plus, the rehash factor is minimal other than possible packaging/pack-in variants over the next decade. Basically, we won't have to suffer through the Skittles™®© syndrome like the JSF went through.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: February 5, 2007, 10:04 PM »
Come on, guys....we KNEW this ship was going to be small (to fit into the $20 "starfighter" price range) and Hasbro ships are never, ever, ever to scale.

I already said the scale's not a shocker to me...  I knew it was going to be small.  Even I'm a little shocked at HOW small it is though.

That said, you couldn't be more wrong about how Hasbro gets "scale"...  You even cited the TIE Fighter's which actually have been to-scale if you go by models and things.  The Jedi Fighters, the Landspeeder...  Hasbro gets it right some.  It's all about what price point they're focused on for any given vehicle, not that they just underscale everything to save a buck.  The Snowspeeder's substantially oversized actually because it fits the pricepoint they want it to fit and the mold toolings are readily available.  Not everything Hasbro does is underscaled though, and when they actually get it right they do a pretty decent job...  They're not in the league of other companies that do scale toys, but they're good for what they do generally, and the price is usually in the ballpark of what one would be hopeful for.

It seems like if you're complaining about scale, you're in the wrong hobby. 

Or it could just be that you collect substantially differently...  I collect scale toys from the military too...  It's nice when you get that with Star Wars too, especially given Hasbro's afinity towards milking a mold for every penney they invested into it to the point that they're surely reaping near pure profits on many of them at this point...  Scale will always be a complaint of mine, but that doesn't mean I'm not accepting of NOT getting a scaled AT-AT or whatnot.  The Infiltrator to me is a vehicle I think Hasbro should've just done differently...  Or not at all.  Honestly I'd rather seen something else retooled to scale (IE: The Snowspeeder, AT-ST, Y-Wing...  Something).  That's me though...  This ship also didn't mean anything to me.  I'll be just as happy not to buy it really.  It's just not a ship I'm interested in.

Had this been a grossly underscaled Y-Wing resculpt, I think I'd be much more disappointed though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 5, 2007, 11:15 PM »
This listing (280078105859) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: February 5, 2007, 11:18 PM »
Uh oh, Hasbro's pissed.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 5, 2007, 11:24 PM »
I like it, all opened up...

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Resurrection Bob

• Youngling
  • All new likeness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 6, 2007, 02:59 AM »
Count me in with those who understood it would be small, but are still surprised how small it looks.  It would be nice to see it with a figure in the cockpit to get a better idea.

I'm okay with the deploying stuff on the front end, makes me think of the Darth Maul speeder (Invasion Force?) with the deploying wing-gun things.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 6, 2007, 09:41 AM »
The kid in me really likes how they designed the ship to open to reveal missiles for shooting the good guys (at least, I think that's what it's supposed to be for).  ;)

Yeah, me too. Almost makes up for the size.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 6, 2007, 12:58 PM »
The kid in me really likes how they designed the ship to open to reveal missiles for shooting the good guys (at least, I think that's what it's supposed to be for).  ;)

Yeah, me too. Almost makes up for the size.

Almost... but not quite!    The cockpit should be the size of a TIE fighters at the very least.   I remember thinking when I first saw TPM that Maul's ship looked like a TIE with elongated wings and a snout.    We'll be lucky if we can get 1/2 of Maul in there at this rate.  I wonder, given we now have all the faux astromechs on the Jedi Starfighters, if we'll be getting faux pilots we can use in cockpits that are too small for a standard figure....

"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: February 6, 2007, 04:18 PM »
The astromech thing I understand...  the JSF's are actually to-scale, but if you watch ROTS really close you see that scale on the JSF is really iffy because the ship seems to change between the CGI model and the lifesize prop (that's sort of common actually).  In one scene R2's out of the socket real far, and in another he's recessed quite a bit.  The reality is it's like the Destroyer Droid folding in that ILM cheated a bit and full size droids just don't fit.

I'd guess that Maul (Sith Speeder) will fit fine in this ship...  It looks big enough to me by the photo that was there.  It's certainly not going to be roomy forr him though.  You won't be sneaking his droids and speeder along for the ride like the ship's supposed to do.

Offline tonphanan

• Jedi Initiate
  • " Has anyone seen my wits?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 6, 2007, 11:47 PM »
Evolution Maul might fit just because he has more joints than any other Maul. I'll get it on clearence.
Throw an Ewok at him

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: February 7, 2007, 01:03 AM »
The only thing holding that Maul back is the skirt piece...  It's partially cloth, but the longer pieces are plastic and definitely obstruct the sitting pose a bit.  They can bend though, but the back one doesn't bend easily for sitting.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 7, 2007, 06:10 AM »
I understand the disappointment with the scale, but I'm a little relieved too. If they did make this thing the size of the B-wing, it ends up being a $50 TRU or $40 Target exclusive. And for the few seconds of screen time, it will work for me, if I get it. Seeing as how it would be the only TPM ship I own, I'm not sure it fits the collection.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 7, 2007, 09:43 AM »
The only thing holding that Maul back is the skirt piece...  It's partially cloth, but the longer pieces are plastic and definitely obstruct the sitting pose a bit.  They can bend though, but the back one doesn't bend easily for sitting.

Keeping that in mind though, I think the cockpit should have been designed around the skirt.

Has anyone noticed that the auction was pulled?
« Last Edit: February 8, 2007, 09:30 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #28 on: February 7, 2007, 09:58 AM »
I'd guess that Maul (Sith Speeder) will fit fine in this ship...  It looks big enough to me by the photo that was there.  It's certainly not going to be roomy forr him though.  You won't be sneaking his droids and speeder along for the ride like the ship's supposed to do.

That's what i'll use
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: February 7, 2007, 03:24 PM »
I really think this ship was designed and prototyped a long time ago Anton...  Just a hunch, but I think it's a hold-over from a past line.