Author Topic: 2007 USPS Star Wars Collectibles  (Read 21877 times)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2007 USPS Star Wars Collectibles
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 01:56 PM »
I asked about it in Chillicothe, OH on Friday and no one knew a thing about it.  I also asked if they were making stamps.  I thought I read somewhere that they were but again, no one knew a thing about it.  They are really nice there and told me if I stop back in this week, they will let me know if they can find out if one will be close by (because we all know little Chillicothe will NOT be getting one).  ;)

Beth

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 12:02 PM »
I see that Star Wars.com has an article up saying that the special commemmorative Star Wars stamp (stamp, not stamps) will be unveiled next Wednesday.  More details at the linky, but from the sounds of this article anyways, there will just be one stamp - instead of the sheet/set that we've seen with other releases like the Marvel and DC stamps.  I guess it should make picking one (or some) up a little bit easier.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 12:37 PM »
It wouldn't suprise me if it's the first stamp in a series throughout the year.  Why should anything in this hobby be easy?  ::)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 12:43 PM »
Yeah, that was my initial thinking as well.  You would think they'd milk us "Star Wars folk" for more than one stamp ;).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 09:34 AM »
With the first stamp officially announced, it looks like there are more on the way later this year as well.  Nothing official yet, but this pic (a little blurry) shows at least 15 stamps - most OT-based.  They do look spiffy though, from what I can see.  Hopefully they aren't too difficult to pick up.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 12:18 PM »
I ended up getting the stamps when they came out for the OT Special Editions, so I'm sure I'll be picking these up too...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 02:54 PM »
The Official Site now has news/pics of all of the stamps (15 in total).

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 04:06 PM »
The one in Columbus is going to be near the post office on East Broad Street if I remember correctly. It seems a long time for this stamp sheet to come out considering they announced it today. Then there's the express mailers that are only available online. I have all those silver foil stamp sheets, first day release and other various stamp sheets for OT that came out back in the late nineties. Did anyone else pick those up? I forget what the deal was with them but they weren't US stamps. I wonder what's going to happen to these mail boxes when this is over. I think the site said they were only going to be out for a few weeks. That seems stupid to me. They should just leave them out or at least they could auction them off to collectors. I only say that because I'll bet they just repaint them blue and put them out as regular boxes.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 04:10 PM »
I thought that I had heard somewhere that the R2 boxes are basically regular boxes with "decals" put over them.  I'm not sure though, as I haven't gone to see one in person.  Maybe they'll just rip the decals off when they are done with them, who knows.

As far as these stamps, I'm kind of excited for them.  I haven't ever bought any kind of "special" stamps before, so does anyone know how to do it/how difficult it is?  I'm actually hoping to pick up these and the Marvel stamps this year, but I'm not sure how you go about doing it.  Hopefully they'll be available online or something, they do look pretty nice.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 04:20 PM »
I have all those silver foil stamp sheets, first day release and other various stamp sheets for OT that came out back in the late nineties. Did anyone else pick those up?

Yes, the silver foil ones are the ones I was refering to in my post.  They are definitely not US stamps and I recall a relative ordering them for me as a gift.

I haven't ever bought any kind of "special" stamps before, so does anyone know how to do it/how difficult it is?

I have a few limited edition release sheets of stamps (James Dean and Marilyn Monroe) that I picked up the day they were supposed to be released.  I just went to the local post office and bought them.  Nothing too fancy.  I also recall something about a pre-order for those, but that was a long time ago.  I'm not sure that the post office still does that.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 12:53 AM »
These stamps are very appealing - they look good, they're inexpensive, and there's a finite number of them to complete the collection (15).  I definitely hope to get my hands on a set.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 01:35 AM »
Jesse, let me know if you need help getting a set.  I'm going to get a set myself I think...  assuming they won't be hard to get ahold of or some such.  I'm thinking a set framed would be nice.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 01:49 AM »
I'm thinking a set framed would be nice.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  8)

Jesse, let me know if you need help getting a set.  I'm going to get a set myself I think...  assuming they won't be hard to get ahold of or some such. 

I went back and read about their release date - it sounds like these are to be released on May 25th, the same weekend as CIV (and obviously to coincide with the 30th anniversary).  So maybe I'll luck out and find a set when I'm in the US that weekend.  If not, I'll definitely take you up on that offer.  :)

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2007, 09:04 PM »
Anyone try the challenge/sweepstakes?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 07:22 PM »
Nice little download over at starwarskids.

R2-D2 Mailbox Papercraft