Author Topic: Glass man, Ruprecht or any other molder and caster HELP  (Read 3939 times)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
So today I decided I was gonna mold some head sculpts. I haven't done that since my Verpine custom sculpt a couple months back.

I have only used 1/3 of my molding material in both parts of course.
Well I open my smooth on Oommoo part B the really really thick stuff(green colored),and I dip my spoon in, and thud right against it. It leaves a mark or an impression when I push the spoon in but it is way to thick to scoop. And it definitely won't pour.

I never used the spoon that I used in part A in the Part B bottle when I did my last mold or any other time. (I use plastic spoons and toss 'em when I'm done.)

I store this Gunk in my Basement workshop. And Colorado has been pretty chilly( my basement has been anywhere from 45 degrees to 65 this winter). Could this have effected my part B(part A only separated and had to be shaken up and stirred, Kinda like organic peanut butter, how the oils rise to the top)

If I heat it up(like bring it upstairs and let it sit) will it become pourable again??

I would really like to mold my advozec and my Selkath sculpts. Maybe even get one or two customs of those done to put them in the UGP

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Adam
« Last Edit: April 9, 2007, 10:02 PM by Smartypants1635 »

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
Re: Glass man, Ruprecht or any other molder and caster HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 12:01 AM »
I haven't used Oommoo, but I'd recommend letting it warm upstairs.  If that doesn't do the trick, then see how deep the hardness goes.  Try to poke through it, as maybe only some of the stuff at the top has hardened.  If that works, then toss out the hardened part and strain the rest into a new container.

I had a similar thing happen with Polytek Easyflo 60.  Both part A and B were in the same "ketchup squirter" type containers, but part A got cloudy and hardened a bit.  I just strained it with some pantyhose I borrowed from myself, into a new container.  Either something contaminated it, or it had some sort of photosensitive reaction...

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 12:05 AM »
Ok thanks Ruprecht I moved it upstairs and I'll check on it in the morning if i have time

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:14 AM »
I have had the same thing happen to Hydroshrink. It solidified. I keep it in my basment in the cold too.
I never thought about warming it.  Hummm....

I think it may have something to do with air reaching it. Like the cap isnt on tight. But Photosensitive reaction is a good guess too.
Dont know for sure.
I too had some Easy flo 60 thicken cause i put it in a baby food jar so i wouldnt have to keep mixing my flesh tones.
The casts were not the same when i tried to use it.

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 06:03 PM »
Alot of this stuff says to store at room temperature (at the moment I use mainly TAP and Smooth-On stuff).
Just guessing with this next statement, but lower temperatures may cause some components to crystalize. Also was the container air tight sealed? Any leaks or cracks in container lid could have caused degredation of product. Also how long had it been since you used it last? Alot of molding/casting products warn that the shelf life decreases drasticaly after opening.
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 09:44 PM »
Hmm the cap was not on all the way It was tight but not down all the way. Im not at home so I wont be able to check it until tomorrow. Hopefully it will liquify again. but if It doesn't I'm gonna have to order some more. ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 03:51 AM »
You'll find a lot of casting materials (mold rubbers, resins and other products) will harden over time.  My first smooth-on kit I used rather gradually as I practiced with it (this was back in the early 90's) getting used to casting...  It simply goes bad if it's not sealed in a REALLY tightly sealed container.  I've had it happen with various resins, yet at the same time I've had other resins from a variety of sources and not ALL had this happen to them.

I've had it happen with some mold rubbers too...  I cannot see a rhyme or reason to it other than it just depends on the material type.

It's a big reason I tend to not order resins in much bulk, especially during times like I'm in now where I don't do much of any customizing for lack of time/cash/desire to work on anything.   :-\  I've got some right now I have a feeling has gone bad but I don't have the energy to check it (plus I don't like the thoughts of wasting the stuff I have so I figure if I don't look I won't be depressed, haha).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Well I did get the smallest size they had. hahah I just don't do much molding and casting. Really messy and its a pain sometimes.
Well the rubber hasnt un solidified. Looks like Im gonna have to order more haha :P

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 06:06 PM »
So far the stuff that has lasted the longest for me that has not spoiled is my liquid latex from TAP for layered mold building. I have had the same can of it for almost a year now (I find it hard to beleive that I started customizing 11 months ago...where did that time go?)

Sorry to hear about loss of product Smartypants... I have had that happen a few times and it sucks. Especially when funds for customizing are always limited...
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...