Author Topic: What HDTV to buy - LCD, Plasma, DLP  (Read 17852 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: What HDTV to buy - LCD, Plasma, DLP
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2010, 09:22 PM »
I don't have a BR, but I see this from time to time on some of our DVDs.  There are different aspect ratios apparently.  Our Sony Bravia has a "WIDE" button on it that let's you toggle to different size screen views and that usually fixes it, though if the ratio is off you will still end up with a little cut off on each side (that's what happens on ours anyway).
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2010, 10:30 PM »
I wasn't sure exactly where to post this, but figured this was as good a place as any.  Sort of a technical question, since we're new to the HDTV world here.  We just picked up our first HDTV, a 42" LG 1080p, 120 Hz model.  We also previously had a blu ray player (gift for Christmas, with intentions of getting this TV eventually), and I picked up the HDMI cable with the TV today as well.  Anyways, got everything hooked up, and we're very happy with it.  We tried out a few of the blu ray movies we already had just to see them, and the picture looks great.  Here's my question though, it seems that the movies still have the "black bars" on the top and bottom.  I guess I always thought when you had a widescreen TV, those would be gone, but perhaps our settings are wrong.  I have both the player and the TV set on 16:9.  I know we're not "losing any picture" like a lot of fullscreen fans think is happening with those black bars, but I just thought those would be gone with a widescreen television (or closer to it).  Just curious if anyone knew what we're doing wrong, if anything.

It can depend on the movies you're watching on Blu-Ray as well.  Blu-Ray widescreen formats like anamorphic will still leave black bars on the top and bottom.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 1, 2010, 10:29 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Yeah, our has different viewing options as well, but I wasn't sure what the "right" one was for sure.  Some will make it fill the screen, but it seems to look a little different (not as good) as the standard 16:9 setting.  Glad to hear that it isn't just something we were doing wrong, and perhaps that is just how they look.  We don't have a ton of blu ray movies, but tried a few (Spidey/Spidey 2, and my wife tried watching Twilight), and they all seemed to have the bars - but looked great otherwise.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 1, 2010, 11:00 AM »
We just picked up our first HDTV, a 42" LG 1080p, 120 Hz model.

42" LG 1080p 120Hz was my first flatscreen purchase (well at least the first one I kept)   ;)  Very happy with it - so far.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2010, 11:33 PM »
We are talking about mounting our LCD up on the wall.  I'm pretty confident that I can mount the HDTV correctly, but I'm actually more worried about the Bose 3.2.1 system I have and getting the speakers mounted/wired properly.  Does anyone else have a Bose 3.2.1 system and if so, were you able to run the wires through the wall properly and not have gaping holes in the walls.  The reason I ask is because the speaker connections are pretty large and of course are unique to Bose.  I haven't seen any couplers out there where I can use a coupler and faceplate and make a connection in the wall like I can with HDMI or component cables.  The only option I can come up with is to cut a hole in the wall the same size as the speaker connection and then patch it once the wire is through.  The speaker mount bracket will cover up the opening somewhat, but I'm hoping that's not my only option.

Well after some research on the internet and a few phonecalls with Bose, I was able to find the speaker couplers I needed to mount the speakers on the wall.  I was also able to find a site that made custom component face plates for my HDMI and Component cables.  All in all this project took a lot longer than I thought it would (and cost me a lot more money than I thought it would), but I'm very happy with the results.  I have the HDTV on the wall, the speakers mounted, the subwoofer tucked away next to the fireplace and my components completely on the opposite side of the room, also tucked away out of sight.  All the cables were run through the walls with minimal drywall damage and I didn't fry myself running a new outlet in the wall for the TV to plug into.  However, I'll let my fellow forum-mates judge for themselves if I did a good enough job:

The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2010, 11:47 PM »
It looks so clean, nicely done.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2010, 04:10 AM »
Looks great - nice work.  Now come install some speakers for me!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2010, 10:58 PM »
I have a bit of a dilemma... I have a slightly older HDTV. I bought it about 3-4 years ago and it has been a great TV to me. I've never had any problems with it and it works perfectly. I'm moving next week and I'm finally going to be using it in the family room as my entertainment TV. Here's the catch, because the TV is older it only has one HDMI port. This was never a problem before, I've never needed to connect more than one HDMI capable device. Now I have 3, my Xbox, my PS3, and the HD DVR. I don't want to have to ghetto it up and physically switch the cable every time I want to use a different device, and I can't necessarily afford a new TV. So here's my question, does anyone know of any kind of splitter exists so I can can use all three devices at the same time? I found some but they seem to work the other way. They have one input and four outputs, i.e. one Xbox that can be played on four TV screens, not four devices on the one TV. Even that splitter was like $125.

Has anyone one else run into this issue? Does anyone know of any good and reliable HDMI switchers?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:07 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2010, 09:22 AM »
I think this may be what you are looking for

there are more here

Newegg rocks.

Offline hansolo_506

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2010, 10:17 AM »
We sell an HDMI switcher from Phillips at WalMart, with more models found online.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:18 AM by hansolo_506 »
Don't curse in your signature.

-c.berry

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2010, 07:45 PM »
We sell an HDMI switcher from Phillips at WalMart, with more models found online.

But why would I want to buy anything from Wal-Mart?
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2010, 07:51 PM »
I think this may be what you are looking for

there are more here

Newegg rocks.

Thanks smash. I found one a little later last night. I did a little reading on Cnet and decided on this one. We'll see how it works.
"This is the way."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2010, 09:15 PM »

But why would I want to buy anything from Wal-Mart?

That's funny....Seriously   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 1, 2010, 08:40 AM »
this one. We'll see how it works.

the reviewers at the bottom of that page says it doesn't work for 1080p   :-\

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 7, 2011, 08:51 PM »
Was at Best Buy picking up some HDMI cables and came across a Sony 46" LED Internet HDTV for only $599.  When I asked why it was so cheap, the salesperson didn't really know.  When they went back to the desk to check it out, they said that there was actually an error in the price and that it was supposed to be $1000.  He said that it was their error and if I wanted one, he had to sell it to me for the $599 advertised price.  Needless to say, I walked out of there with the TV and a new BD player for good measure!

I love it when you get lucky just on blind **** luck!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!