Author Topic: Spelling  (Read 7146 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Spelling
« on: June 9, 2003, 03:02 PM »
Who else thinks that spelling should not matter on the internet?Cuz,I'm a very bad speller.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Re: Spelling
« Reply #1 on: June 9, 2003, 03:06 PM »
I personally think if people know what you are talking about its ok. spelling isn't as much of an issue with me as is the point being made.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

obi_robz

« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2003, 03:09 PM »
You MUST copy and paste everything you type into Word BEFORE you post it.

Seriously though, I agree that as long as people can understand what you mean, then that’s all that matters IMHO. This is why grammar is much more important than spelling.

Virex

« Reply #3 on: June 9, 2003, 03:28 PM »
This topic begs the question--has anyone invited Master Pesic yet?

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 9, 2003, 03:42 PM »
I'm big on good spelling, so unfortunately I can't claim to be lax on the subject. I'm no spelling nazi, but I'm no spelling Ghandi either.
Carrie, collector of Tusken-y things.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: June 9, 2003, 03:52 PM »
This topic begs the question--has anyone invited Master Pesic yet?
Heh...

If the thread and/or thread poster himself is already annoying, it just adds to it, for me; but otherwise I really don't care that much about spelling... Personally, everytime I post a typo I feel bad about it and usually go back and edit it. Don't worry, though, you won't find me editing other people's posts with spelling corrections ( ::)).

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: June 9, 2003, 03:57 PM »
I'm pretty much a spelling, grammar, and punctuation freak.  As an obsessive compulsive perfectionist, I like to keep my posts and messages nice and legible.

That doesn't mean that I expect others to do the same though, nor do I frown upon them if they don't - not in the slightest.  To each their own.  I just like my writing to come out properly since it may reflect on me.  It doesn't take any more of my time to make it correct really...

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #7 on: June 9, 2003, 04:00 PM »
Since I'm a writer, I'm a spelling freak.  I know it just doesn't work for some folks, though.  Kind of like me and math.  And since this is the internet, bad spelling has become something of an art form.  Cacography of the highest order.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 9, 2003, 04:12 PM »
As I mentioned in pet peeves, poor spelling is one of my personal pet peeves.  Typos are one thing, but out and out poor spelling irks me.  I even go back and edit my posts because of spelling errors and typos.

In my opinion, good spelling, grammar and general english composition skills are in short supply.  Perhaps it's the result of having a browbeating English composition professor in college, but I think it's essential to write well in order to better communicate with others.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 9, 2003, 04:40 PM »
Count me amongst the anal retentives ;)

I'm big on spelling, largely because it plays such a role in communication for the work I do.  It is also a tool I use to judge a person's competency.  I try not to do it on the internet, but every summer I am responsible for hiring student employees and the schlock that comes in passing as a resume is abhorrent. You may not like that is a judgemental thing, but in the absence of anything else it is indeed what is used.  I wouldn't exclude anyone from an interview, but I damn well would ask why their resume is littered with spelling errors.  It tends to reflect laziness (as it pertains to your resume - if you want a job, make an effort).  

That said, the 'net is a bit of a different beast.  I will use 'cuz' instead of 'because' and other slang of that sort.  I will cringe but I've stopped bothering to make comments as I typically get the it's not a frigging english {sic} classrom comment back.  And to those that would make that comment, they are correct.  But people judge all the time.  I use it as a tool.  If you can't be bothered to try and make an effort to spell something correctly will you make the effort to pack the figures I'm buying/trading with you properly?  Where does your level of effort start and end and how can I be sure.  The point of English class is to teach you something to use in life and get further ahead.  There are no grades once school is done, but there are perks if you do things well.  Spelling is just one.  

That said, I'm not about to crap on anyone, it's not worth the effort.  I'm trying to be a reformed spelling Nazi ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 9, 2003, 05:49 PM »
I'm also pretty big on spelling and grammar. I know that most people mean well when posting, and I can understand when a person misspells a really big word, but it gets annoying when a person keeps spelling the same word wrong over and over and over and over! :o

That's why I think that the forums should add a spell check feature down near the post and preview buttons. FBTB.net has one, and I think that is one thing that makes the forums stand out.

Virex, your statement is both mean and hilarious at the same time. ;D
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #11 on: June 9, 2003, 06:13 PM »
On the internet, where you communicate in a text based world, spelling is key.

If you have a lot of spelling and gramatical errors, it's easy to assume that you might not be that bright (even if that's not really the case). I'm always going back and editing my posts for spelling errors I miss in the preview window.

In real life (especially in the business world) your charm and grace can get you almost anywhere...but here, it's all about your words. They're the only thing you put out there for people to judge you with.

If you don't take the time to realize you spelled misinterpreteded incorrectly, you may be just that.

;)

Got Clones?

Virex

« Reply #12 on: June 9, 2003, 06:19 PM »
I'm big on good spelling, so unfortunately I can't claim to be lax on the subject. I'm no spelling nazi, but I'm no spelling Ghandi either.

Ahem.

(runs away)

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 9, 2003, 06:23 PM »
Okay, was that a bald guy joke, Jugdish?   :-*
Carrie, collector of Tusken-y things.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master