Author Topic: Sideshow 12"- what to do?  (Read 5114 times)

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Sideshow 12"- what to do?
« on: June 13, 2007, 12:57 PM »
Ok.. so you freed them from the boxes, played around with various poses, alternate hands, saber hilts etc... and have them on display.    What are doing in terms of the boxes?   They're too pretty to just trash, and provide the perfect home for those accessories you AREN'T displaying.   I'm an opener mainly cause I like 'em that way, but also for conserving space but I can't just get rid of these great boxes!

/Discuss

Oboewan
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Sideshow 12"- what to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 01:14 PM »
Not really with these but i am in the same situation with the gentle giant maquettes. I have no idea what to do with the boxes. Suggestions would be helpful.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 01:16 PM »
Don't trash them! If you're like me you need to rotate older collectibles out to make room for newer ones, and you'll need these boxes to store them in. If you move you'll be kicking yourself, for tossing them, and if, God forbid, you ever have to sell them, the packaging will add to their value.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 02:13 PM »
Don't trash them! If you're like me you need to rotate older collectibles out to make room for newer ones, and you'll need these boxes to store them in. If you move you'll be kicking yourself, for tossing them, and if, God forbid, you ever have to sell them, the packaging will add to their value.

Trashing them is NOT an option I'm looking into at this time.....I think the only one I ditched was the Jabba box and I'm keeping the Throne room in the mailer box in an tiny outdoor "shed" as an experiment for possible future storage.  It's just not the best place to put things of any value.   I suppose I can use rubbermaid type bins to store stuff in there as well.    I'm just plain running out of room in the condo and have no clue what to do with the boxes at this point.   I guess I'll stick em in one of my closets for the time being- provided I can make some room.

Any other thoughts?
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 03:27 PM »
 ::) I'm in the same boat! :P I got a plastic container for just sideshow boxes.
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 01:35 PM »
Well, I don't keep the boxes in the brown mailing boxes they were shipped in.  I have two TV boxes that I am stacking them in (and then stacking on top of one another).  Another trick I have done is to buy black material and cover the boxes and have a few guys standing in the back of the display case on the boxes and then a row in the front.  It's also how I handle some of the many MR boxes.  It's a tough call....I threw out most of the Hasbro boxes (I kept two to store extra weapons, items and clothes) but I just can't part with the SS or GG boxes.....yet. :-\
Beth

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 02:58 PM »
Currently, most of my collection is packed safely away in large rubbermaid bins.  Those are stored in the unfinished basement of our current house.  When we buy a house at my next assignment, I plan on displaying as much as I can, but I will keep all the bins and store the boxes in them.  I thought about displaying the boxes behind the SS figures if I decide to display them separately from my MR sabers like I have them now.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 05:17 PM »
Wow, you can tell by the activity on the boards that a lot of guys (myself included) who started with 12" Sideshow are no longer collecting.

Their character selection has been weak, to say the least.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 09:04 PM »
Money has been the main issue for me not getting more into the Sideshow stuff. At nearly $60 a pop I can't really justify spending this in addition to the Hasbro line. I've dabbled a little with it. I picked up Maul when he came out. At CIV I bought a Qui-Gon so I'd have someone to display him with. I have Old Ben on pre-order, I really can't wait for that one. And that is as far as I've gotten into the SW line. I actually do like most of the other figures they have come out with. I have to say though, more and more these days I find it harder to get excited about anything PT, even stuff I used to like a lot. I've been becoming more and more of an OT only collector. And since it seems most of Sideshow's stuff has been PT, other than Jabba who I couldn't afford, I just am not as into the line as I would have been a few years ago.
"This is the way."

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 09:34 AM »
I have been very selective... Waiting for deals or getting the one's I like. I have really liked the OT pieces... and they have pulled me in... Old Ben, Leia, Bespin Luke... Very nice...

Though the LOTR pieces have me even more... But I still wait for deals...

Like I am on the fence about getting a Plo-Kloon for about $20 shipped (with my C-IV gift Card)... But that is a deal... so maybe...

Offline Billy Ray

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Alamo City Star Wars Collectors
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 12:12 PM »
I display my boxes behind the respective figure for now...until I run out of space that is.  I'll post a pic later on.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 04:24 PM »
I really wanted to collect this line, and anticipated it for years.  However, the price point, and the "close but not exact" faces made me pass.  However, If they do an Akbar, Greedo or a Weequay, I may pick one of them up just for fun.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 10:25 AM »
I hide mine in any hole I can find. Just in case I hit a dry patch and need to sell.  :-X

God forbid.