Author Topic: 2008/2009 Evolutions Sets  (Read 159358 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Evolutions Sets
« Reply #450 on: April 16, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Yeah, I'm in for at least 2 pilot sets.  The holster thing is weird, but I suppose it was possible since this character was never shown in the scene.  I don't love the idea of female pilots (not sexist or anything, it's just that the OT never suggested that females were pilots, oh, and I hate the idea of female Imperial officers) but I think this figure is androgynous enough to be a teenage boy or even head-swapped with a male head.  The mammaries are small enough to be considered flight suit wrinkles  :P
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #451 on: April 16, 2008, 05:10 PM »
I have a personal gut feeling this figure will see re-use as a Jaina Solo figure for some reason.

Agreed.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #452 on: April 16, 2008, 05:19 PM »
(not sexist or anything, it's just that the OT never suggested that females were pilots, oh, and I hate the idea of female Imperial officers)

One female Rebel Pilot's in Home One's briefing sequence and this pilot may be as well...  There's definitely a female B-Winger (I think it's B-Winger anyway) in the background if you look close though.  This one's sequences just got cut for some reason but she had cockpit footage filmed because there are stills of her.

As for the female Imp's...  I dunno.  I still hold that females in the Empire probably pull support duty and things.  They're not likely to get the higher ranks or front line duty, but I guess it just makes sense to me to see women doing some kind of military work just like in our own Earth militaries throughout history.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 16, 2008, 05:38 PM »
There is a female X-Winger in the Home One briefing scene. She can be seen during Han and Lando's dialogue before the briefing begins.

Scott actually has a picture of her listed as "Dorovio Bold" in his Who Is Left Master List.

Only problem...this Dorovio is a blonde.   :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #454 on: April 16, 2008, 05:47 PM »
Actually I think this is who Scott has listed in the Master Archive as Dorovio Bold   Which I think is right by the helmet markings.

The other X-Winger from Home One with blonde hair is...  Kin Kian or something.

So there's two X-Wingers and I coulda sworn a woman in red flight suit is standing way in the back too with the B-Wingers.  It's so heavily shadowed though it's tough to tell that one.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 16, 2008, 06:01 PM »
Oops, I stand corrected. I didn't even see the other female in there. (Man, Scott really needs to number those pictures or something...) :-[

Anyways, I'd wager they are the same actress judgung by the photos side-by-side like that.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #456 on: April 16, 2008, 06:03 PM »
I can't really tell...  I wonder if the helmets are the same.  Wish I could see below the pic there to see what helmet she has to know if it's to be the same character.

The only thing that makes me think they're different (besides the name listings I guess) is that other than Wedge there isn't an identical character in the Home ONe scene that is at the battle (and filmed) I don't believe.  At least I've never noticed the same actors in the Home ONe scenes as in the cockpit footage scenes.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 16, 2008, 09:02 PM »
Well, other than the extreme die hards who study the films frame by frame, I'm sure most people are going to wonder where female pilots fit into the Rebellion.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #458 on: April 16, 2008, 09:28 PM »
Do people, besides us, really analyze the toys that much?  Not to mention the Evolutions sets aren't seemingly aimed square at the casual audience at $20 a pop...  Seems to make sense then that Hasbro would look for some obscurity from the films for us, like Bultar Swann, a female Rebel Pilot, or perhaps an EU design nobody knows like say the Mandalorian.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 17, 2008, 09:18 AM »
I'm in for two sets as well, but it might be of the second one with the human B-Wing pilot. I'm mainly after the Snowspeeder pilot bodies.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 17, 2008, 11:54 AM »
Do people, besides us, really analyze the toys that much?  Not to mention the Evolutions sets aren't seemingly aimed square at the casual audience at $20 a pop...  Seems to make sense then that Hasbro would look for some obscurity from the films for us, like Bultar Swann, a female Rebel Pilot, or perhaps an EU design nobody knows like say the Mandalorian.

Obscurity can be a good thing for sure.  I just happen to think that this female Rebel is as lame as it gets (Mandalore is a lot more appealing it seems, and maybe Bultar Swan too since we see a fair share of female Jedi in the films).  But this chick?  Nah. 

I'd be in favor of them giving us another alien pilot or something instead; perhaps a Mon Calamari as seen in the X-Wing series.  Or, perhaps a Naboo pilot with jacket... heck, I would have been ok with the female Naboo pilot that we actually see have a line in TPM be made instead... just my two cents.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 17, 2008, 03:32 PM »

Obscurity can be a good thing for sure.  I just happen to think that this female Rebel is as lame as it gets (Mandalore is a lot more appealing it seems, and maybe Bultar Swan too since we see a fair share of female Jedi in the films).  But this chick?  Nah. 

I'd be in favor of them giving us another alien pilot or something instead; perhaps a Mon Calamari as seen in the X-Wing series.  Or, perhaps a Naboo pilot with jacket... heck, I would have been ok with the female Naboo pilot that we actually see have a line in TPM be made instead... just my two cents.

Yeah, I have to agree with Chewie here. I think there were far and away many better choices than a human female X-wing pilot. The only reason I see them doing this is for a future Jaina Solo X-wing pilot. Then maybe some female alien pilots.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 17, 2008, 04:18 PM »
Wow never seen so many guys not wanting to see a woman before  :P
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #463 on: April 17, 2008, 04:28 PM »
I think it's a neat idea, and it's nice to see something original.  The sculpts look pretty good too.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 17, 2008, 04:32 PM »
What sucks is that with the Evolution sets, if there's a figure that you don't like, and you want a few of the others, you kind of get stuck with several of one figure that you don't want. 

This is the second time this has happened to me - the new Sith set has two figures I don't care for - the shirtless Maul and the Bane figure.  That one sells really good though because it's Sith figures it seems (plus I could swear they don't have as many of these per case as the others, but I'm probably wrong).

I have no problem with there being an X-Wing chick though, but I'd rather have seen her in a Comic Pack than in this format.  It seems more suitable in my book.