Author Topic: Minneapolis Bridge Collapse  (Read 5936 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Minneapolis Bridge Collapse
« on: August 1, 2007, 08:03 PM »
Freeway bridge collapses into river during rush hour in Minneapolis

Two of our local stations broke into their regular programming to air footage from the TV stations up there, and it looks, really, really bad.

Part of a bridge on an interstate collapsed here a few years ago, and fourteen people died as a result, and this looks much, much worse than that.

Hope all you Twin Cities guys and your friends and families are safe. . . 

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Minneapolis Bridge Collapse
« Reply #1 on: August 1, 2007, 08:07 PM »
One in St. Pete collapsed when I was a infant - it was over the water... a huge mess.

« Last Edit: August 1, 2007, 08:16 PM by Rob »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2007, 09:10 PM »
Yeah, we've been watching the coverage here now too - hope all of our Minnesota friends/families are ok.  My brother-in-law is up there on business this week, and was heading to the Twins game with coworkers tonight - and my sister in law hasn't heard from him yet and can't get a hold of him.  We're really praying that things are ok with them as well.  I haven't been to a Twins game, but I'm thinking maybe (hopefully) cell reception isn't the best in the dome and that's why we can't get through to him right now.  Prayers to everyone in Minneapolis now though, most definitely.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #3 on: August 1, 2007, 09:14 PM »
Cell phone lines are pretty clogged right now with people trying to contact family and friends.. not to mention the emergency cell traffic. News and authorities request to keep cell lines clear.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 1, 2007, 09:18 PM »
Hope all of you Minnesota guys are alright.  This appears to be a major catastrophe.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2007, 09:25 PM »
I still have my MN mobile number even though we live out of state now, and my line isn't working for now because of call volume.

I know that bridge and area really well, thoughts with all of those involved.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 1, 2007, 09:46 PM »
The construction on it has been really heavy with 2 lanes out, so I have been taking the other bridge you see in the photos (10th st). I went by about 10 minutes before it went down. It's hard to imagine how terrifying that must have been for those people-
« Last Edit: August 1, 2007, 09:54 PM by Dan »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 1, 2007, 09:52 PM »
Yikes, happening during rush hour -- scary thought to the number of injured.  My thoughts go to those trying to find their families safe and sound.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2007, 09:55 PM »
I haven't been to a Twins game, but I'm thinking maybe (hopefully) cell reception isn't the best in the dome and that's why we can't get through to him right now.

Like Jay said, cell phones are really hit-or-miss at the moment here now due to volume.  The game is still going on as they decided to keep those 20k people in the dome rather than release them to the highways, which are really, really backed up.

I know tons of people who use that bridge everyday, hopes and prayers that they are all right.  They are only reporting 1 fatality at the hospitals so far, but that does not include those who were dead at the scene.    :-\

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2007, 10:27 PM »
My thoughts and prays go out to all of those involve in this tradgey.  Hope all of our Minn. members are okay.  The Gov. had just confirmed 6 dead and listening to the news reports out here on the west (CNN and Fox) there are alot more cars in the river. 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2007, 10:44 PM »
That's scary. I managed to call a friend that works at the U and she's okay, plus hearing from most of you Twin Cities guys, so that puts me at ease a bit. But seeing that bridge... that's scary, especially thinking it could be me on some bridge elsewhere. I guess the news reports said 3 out of 4 lanes were closed down due to construction so it could have been a lot worse.

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 1, 2007, 11:13 PM »
Dan, I am glad to hear you are okay, along with the rest of the MN crew so far. 

This is truly unbelievable.  I have crossed that span hundreds of times and never gave it a second thought. 

I will be amazed if the death total does not increase significantly overnight, with the reports of dozens of cars in the water.  can only pray that it is an overstatement or that folks some managed to get free.

Brian, let us know when you hear from your brother-in-law.   

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 1, 2007, 11:18 PM »
The freaky thing about the day was after this happened, the sky got murky and brown to the north and then the heavy rains... one of my friends commented that the apocolypse was nigh.

And I thought of The Mothman Prophecies, too. Sadly, this isn't a movie.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 1, 2007, 11:20 PM »
Scary ****....  my thoughts and prayers with everyone up there.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 1, 2007, 11:40 PM »
Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts.  So far, we don't know of anyone in the Mpls clan or their friends & family who were injured, which is great news.  Local news said there was a fatality - CNN is reporting at least 3 fatalities, but hopefully they've got their numbers mixed up.  The devastation they're showing on the news is mind boggling - I can't even imagine what those people went thru.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today