Author Topic: Welcome back JD!  (Read 6371 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Welcome back JD!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 02:39 PM »
agreed - in fact, i think the show is a lot more enjoyable now then when i was younger. it's a lot more subtle and nuanced than is commonly believed, especially in regards to, say, Andrea Barber's performance as Kimmy Gibler - a lot of really amazing undertones there. she brought it all together. i'm sure it's a matter of time before she's sitting across the stage from James Lipton. bottom line: it's not as straightforward a program as people assume.

Beautifully put.  Beautifully put.  And you're exactly right:  On the surface, it's still the same show it always was.  But if you really start to dig into it, you'll see that it's got this dark, seedy underbelly thing happening.  It's kind of like those ****** Magic Eye 3D paintings that were all the rage in the mid-90's in that it works on multiple levels.  And once it hits you, it ups the rewatchability factor exponentially.

People always said that this show was a "family-friendly situation-comedy", whatever that means, but to me, it's more of a "family-friendly situation-tragedy," than anything else.  And that's what keeps me coming back for more.

All these years later, and this still hurts.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 02:41 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 03:14 PM »
Beautifully put.  Beautifully put.  And you're exactly right:  On the surface, it's still the same show it always was.  But if you really start to dig into it, you'll see that it's got this dark, seedy underbelly thing happening.  It's kind of like those ****** Magic Eye 3D paintings that were all the rage in the mid-90's in that it works on multiple levels.  And once it hits you, it ups the rewatchability factor exponentially.

People always said that this show was a "family-friendly situation-comedy", whatever that means, but to me, it's more of a "family-friendly situation-tragedy," than anything else.  And that's what keeps me coming back for more.

well yeah, i mean, let's look at the core: the entire premise of the show is predicated by a horrific tragedy: a young, happy couple, parents of three young girls (one an infant, for Christ's sake) is violently TORN apart by a gruesome and horrible accident, killing the mother instantly, leaving behind only memories and apparently one video tape of happier times past. all the good times and tender moments that followed often overshadowed that shocking event that got the show off and running, yet, even though few episodes dealt with the topic specifically, it was always abstractly veiled in each of the plots that the show thereafter. it was a beautiful take on the underbelly of the nuclear family, an exposé on the truth of life. i'm reminded of the words of John Keats: "Beauty is truth, truth beauty, - that is all / Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know." i think the Tanners couldn't have said it any better.

plus there was a woodchuck puppet.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 10:48 PM »
Everywhere You Look

What ever happened to predictibility?
The milkman, the paperboy, evening TV.

Everywhere you look , everywhere you go (there's a heart).
There's a heart
A hand to hold onto.

Everywhere you look , everywhere you go.
There's a face
Of somebody who needs you.

Eveywhere you look,
When you're lost out there and you're all alone,
A light is waiting to carry you home,
Everywhere you look.
Everywhere you look.
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 08:33 AM »
Hey guys, I'm still having issues logging on to JD from my home computer.  Anyone else still having issues?  Any ideas on what I can try.  Right now I'm having to log on using my work computer.  Please help!!!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 09:09 AM »
It's beautiful that we can celebrate both the return of Jedidefender and the life and works of the late Dave Coulier in the same thread.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 09:41 AM »
Everywhere You Look

What ever happened to predictibility?
The milkman, the paperboy, evening TV.

Everywhere you look , everywhere you go (there's a heart).
There's a heart
A hand to hold onto.

Everywhere you look , everywhere you go.
There's a face
Of somebody who needs you.

Eveywhere you look,
When you're lost out there and you're all alone,
A light is waiting to carry you home,
Everywhere you look.
Everywhere you look.

there's actually more lyrics than that, FG; that's just the bastardized rerun version of the theme. you are sharp to point this song out, however: the lyrics as well help to convey that sense of loss that the show epitomizes (what DID ever happen to predictability?) and the questioning insecurity that life incurs upon us all, yet it still manages to be hopeful and grand, a glorious celebration of those lifelong questions and the hopeful optimism that only a true understanding of the waning and waxing that the human experience challenges each and every one of us with each day can provide. it's truly a masterpiece of songwriting and lyricism, and only a show like Full House is worthy of such an anthem. ba-shoopida-ba-ba-dowwww.

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 08:09 AM »
I didn't realize how often I check the front page for news here. I missed it.  :o  I missed lurking on these forums too. I went over to Rebelscum even, like I bet a lot of people did. That sucked.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 11:27 AM »
I went out and bought Full House: The Complete Series Collection on DVD, and went through it, like, twice.

My condolences....

I cannot stand that  show.  To this day, my wife watches whenever it comes on TV, and I simply stand up & walk out of the room.  I used to watch the show from time to time when it was on Primetime on ABC, but as I grew older, I hated the cheese of that show.  It broke down to become the Olsen Show.

The tragedy in the show that you guys speak of peeks my interest, but then I can't remember one episode dealing with that trajedy.  Everyone was so gay (the happy definition) except for the predicatable "noe care about me..." misunderstanding.  Before reading this, I couldn't have even told you what happened to the mother.  All I remember are some of the fakest characters ever on TV.  It was a family-friendly show, but should have come with a warning label for all the cheese layered on top of it.
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 11:47 AM »
It's beautiful that we can celebrate both the return of Jedidefender and the life and works of the late Dave Coulier in the same thread.

Is he dead?  IIRC he was on the Surreal Life a few years back.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 12:27 PM »
He was but couldn't finish the season.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 01:04 PM »
I thought he died like 4 years ago :-[

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 02:00 PM »
Can we please stop talking about Dave Coulier, people?

It may have been over four years now, but it still hurts like it was just yesterday.

Thank you.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 02:02 PM »
I thought he died like 4 years ago :-[

You're close.

He appeared (briefly) on the third season of the Surreal Life (2004).

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 02:44 PM »
Jim Ward killed Dave Coulier
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 03:11 PM »
I cannot stand that  show.  To this day, my wife watches whenever it comes on TV, and I simply stand up & walk out of the room.  I used to watch the show from time to time when it was on Primetime on ABC, but as I grew older, I hated the cheese of that show.  It broke down to become the Olsen Show.

The tragedy in the show that you guys speak of peeks my interest, but then I can't remember one episode dealing with that trajedy.  Everyone was so gay (the happy definition) except for the predicatable "noe care about me..." misunderstanding.  Before reading this, I couldn't have even told you what happened to the mother.  All I remember are some of the fakest characters ever on TV.  It was a family-friendly show, but should have come with a warning label for all the cheese layered on top of it.

you sir, are clearly not a lover of the arts. for shame.