Author Topic: Has technology passed you by?  (Read 2777 times)

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Has technology passed you by?
« on: November 21, 2007, 02:27 PM »
My wife just bought a new laptop and left it on one day before dashing to work. I attempted to shut it down but couldn't figure out where the Shut Down command was in Vista (she had to show me later...ugh). I realized that technology had passed me by. I'm now a bit intimidated by all this stuff. My cell phone is a base model that probably does stuff I have no idea how to access or use. I've heard of an ipod (and actually want one...I've been looking to put all my Foghat tapes on digital!), but even my work computer is running on Win2000, so it's behind the times, too, and the newer ipods require XP. My last gaming system was a SuperNintendo bought back in '93, and I haven't a clue regarding any of the new systems (do they have Kaboom! and Pitfall!?). When the hell did I get so old and out of date with technology? Sure, having kids probably had something to do with this, but still, I feel I'm like my dad was back when he got his first computer (spending hours playing solitaire, lifting the mouse up and saying "crap!" all the time). Next thing you know I'll be chasing kids off my lawn at home.

Anyone else behind the times? Post anonymously, if needed.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Has technology passed you by?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 02:48 PM »
I'm strenuously clinging to being up to date (in my mind, if not in reality).  Not knowing how to do something with Vista is probably a positive aspect in reality however. 

I'm a bit behind but not too bad.  I can and do still hook up and install all my electronics stuff.  I'm ok with computers which is all I've ever been.  We're up to a PS2 at home and will probably have a Wii within a year.  I'm hoping to get an LCD TV in the next few weeks (Boxing Day) and I'm ok programming stuff on the DVD recorder. 

I'll confess to being left behind to a degree with respect to all the hookup options for games/tvs/recording devices, but that's easy enough to rectify.  So far. 

I don't use all the aspects of my cell phone, that much is certain.  Largely because my boss is a big fan of text messaging, I don't have it enabled.  I could do it, but just phone me for pity's sake if you want to tell me something, we're not paying for minutes.  Because that aspect isn't enabled, neither is my web surfing ability on a phone, but honestly I don't really care. 

I still like gadgets, but no, I don't use all of the capabilities.  I like to think it's because I have no use for it. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 05:18 PM »
We're up to a PS2 at home and will probably have a Wii within a year.  I'm hoping to get an LCD TV in the next few weeks (Boxing Day) and I'm ok programming stuff on the DVD recorder. 

Since I don't know what the hell all those letters stand for, I assume technology has passed me by (and what is Boxing Day??- Is that a Canadian holiday??)

Bob-I'm jealous, I want a Super Nintendo but don't want to give up Asteroids on my Atari....I am soooo close to conquering it!!
Beth

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 05:46 PM »
Yeah, the proliferation of text messaging is really starting to get on my nerves, too. I think my cell does texting, but I haven't a clue how to do it, or even if I could understand a text message anyway.

Beth, I wish I actually knew where the heck my SuperNintendo is! When I click on some of these gaming threads here, it's like reading a foreign language. Wii? Sure that's spelled right?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 06:01 PM »
Wii? Sure that's spelled right?

Oui.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 08:09 PM »
I'm OK now that I've got my 360 and PS3@1080p but I was struggling with downscaled 1080i for a while  ;)

I have to work with computers all day long and Vista/Office 2007 is really doing my head in.  Everything’s in a different place or called something else.  I think I’m going to have to retrain to do something else.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 08:10 PM by Rob L »
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 11:07 PM »
hey whats so bad about WIN2000 ? My computer runs on it...heck the stupid $#!+ wont even run on XP lol.

and yes Boxing day is a CDN holiday...think Black friday only its after christmas lol...kinda.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 08:00 AM »
I wouldn't say technology has passed me by, but I just can't afford it anymore. I can't justify $400 on a Playstation 3. I'd love one, but that money is needed elsewhere.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 09:08 AM »
Since I haven't had cable or satellite television for the past 7 years, I definitely don't have a clue about Tivo or DVR's.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 12:30 PM »
I like to keep up on some stuff.  I've got the fancy satellite/DVR subscription.  I can't justify the expense for the Ipod, Iphone, nex gen game consoles, or super duper cell phone.  Hell, I haven't even bought my LCD TV yet.  I know how to work the stuff on my cell, at least most of it, and I do text but often prefer a call.

Windows Vista...installed on my new laptop when I bought it.  I hate the Word program because you have to download some sort of patch to make old documents load up on the new version.  Total pain in the ass.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 02:14 PM »
Working in Space Command, I deal with all of the most modern technologies.  I think the equipment we used in the Minuteman III weapon system was designed in the '70's!   ;D

Actually, the satellite systems I'm learning now are some of the most advanced items in the inventory, which is kind of cool.  My wife has a new computer which uses vista, and I occasionally poke around on it to fix some sort of issue.  My big birthday gift this past year was an X-box 360, but I still have the Super Nintendo set up in the house so I can play Mario Kart with my dad when he comes to visit....Madden 07 is a bit rough for him.  :D

So I guess I'm doing ok in the technology department for now.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 02:15 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 07:41 PM »
I'm a bid intimidated by it all.  I would consider an iPod, but I've no idea how to download music, or where you get it from :-[.  We did finally catch up somewhat -- I sent my husband out for an flat panel LCD TV at Best Buy early Black Friday and he also came home with and X-Box 360 -- so I feel sorta cool now 8)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 10:21 PM »
I'm a bid intimidated by it all. 

do you have a cold?
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 06:48 AM »
I'm a bid intimidated by it all. 

do you have a cold?

no -- but I could cold-**** you upside your head with my cast if you'd like :P
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 10:01 AM »
Tech hasn't passed me by yet, at least not from the standpoint that I understand what's out there and available.  But, I gave up trying to keep up with the neighbors when it comes to owning the latest tech.

I don't have any gaming systems, don't have my own cell phone (carry one for work), no iPod, no Tivo or digital cable (still using basic and a VCR), no flat panel TV, I don't text message on-line, only log onto MySpace about twice a month and my stereo system is 15+ years old.

I do run Vista on my home computer (installed it on release), carry a handheld (Dell Axim) which is WiFi capable, and do computer and network technical support for a living. 

I used to be able to name the entire Intel and AMD family of processors, could tell you the name of three top video card brands and models, and quote chipset versions from both Intel and nVidia off the top of my head.  I decided a long time ago that I just don't care anymore.

I got to a point with a lot of things like cable, Tivo, iTunes, etc that I just was getting nickel and dimed for everything.  Everything needs a separate subscription, every service you add to your phone service or cable costs more than it's worth and because of that I've decided to opt out.  The indifference to the knowledge of some aspects of tech is because it all ended up being useless when you could start buying computers at Wal-Mart for $200.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"