Author Topic: MLB 2008  (Read 62828 times)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2008
« Reply #165 on: October 7, 2008, 08:18 AM »
Rays win!
Baseball's never been so exciting (for people from Tampa that is).

Congrats to the Rays.  They definitely deserved to win that series.  Baseball in Chicago has never been so disappointing...

I also like how the Cubs "choked"...

Yes, this is what the Cubs do.  Their business model has been working well for 100 years, why change things now.  Seriously, if there was a company that functioned like this in the 'real' world, they would have gone under decades ago.  However, come opening day next year, Wrigley Field will again be packed to the gills with starry eyed fans hoping that 2009 will be the year!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 7, 2008, 08:26 AM »
I heart me some Jon Lester...

I'm rooting for the Sox (obviously) and the Phils.  I think both series will be great and both could go 7 games.  The Sox-Rays series could potentially rival some of the Sox-Yanks series with the bad blood and two pretty evenly matched teams.

Go Sox and Phillies!!

PS - I like the Angels.  I love the way they play the game and I think Mike Scoscia is a great manager.  And I certainly respect them for giving the Red Sox everything they had that made for 4 spectacular games.  With that said, John Lackey has now joined LT on the list of sorest whiniest bitch losers ever.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 7, 2008, 09:50 AM »

I also like how the Cubs "choked"...

Yes, this is what the Cubs do.  Their business model has been working well for 100 years, why change things now.  Seriously, if there was a company that functioned like this in the 'real' world, they would have gone under decades ago.  However, come opening day next year, Wrigley Field will again be packed to the gills with starry eyed fans hoping that 2009 will be the year!

I am in no way a Cubs fan, but you have to give the fans credit. They are one of the most loyal group of fans around. It doesn't matter if they are tanking like they did in the 80's or championship contending teams in this decade, the fans are aways there in droves and are VERY loyal. I my experiences with baseball fans from both of Chicago's teams are very different.

I was at Wrigley field in 2004 for a Cardinals/Cubs series in July. The night before the benches cleared and a couple of Cub's players were ejected. Cardinals won the game but it was definately an ugly game. The next day I am at the Cardinals/Cubs game; in the midst of taking a leak a guy walks up behind me slaps me on the back and says, "hope your boys don't beat us up too bad today!" I was wearing my Cardinals jersey. All game long the Cubs are taking it to the Cardinals and I am hearing it from everyone around me (going into the 7th inning the Cub's are up 8-1). In the 7th the Card's explode out and end up winning the game 11-8. As I am leaving the park I get a couple pats on the back about how good the game was, and that the Cub's will get them next time. The best game and experience  at an away park I have ever been to.

Earlier that year I had gone to a game at US Cellular to see the Twins face the White Sox. There had been a problem earlier that year with some fans that had jumped onto the field and beat up a coach from KC. Doug Mientkiewicz (who was the Twins 1st Baseman at the time) had made a comment about how bad the fans were. Of course this pissed a lot of Sox fans off. Knowing this I choose not to wear my Twins hat to the game. At some point in the game the pitcher for the Sox beans Mientkiewicz, benches clear and things get ugly (on the field & in the stands). My budy Justin starts shooting his mouth off at the Sox fans around us. I pull him aside and flatly tell him that if they decide to jump us that he better worry about me more than the Sox fans. Game ends and the Sox win. I get back to my car (I have a twins window cling) and I see 2 guys walking away frommy car laughing. I got to my car and they had spit all over my car. Worst experience ever at a ballpark.

After the Twins were elliminated, and the Card's didn't make it to the play offs. I decided that there was no way I could chear for Central Division teams in either league. I can't stand Man-Ram, and I am tired of Boston and NY always winning the AL EAST so that left me chearing for the Rays, Phillies & Angels. Since the Angels are out I am all for a Phillies/Rays World Series.

If BoSox beat the rays I want the Phillies to take the whole thing.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2008, 09:55 AM by knashdx »
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 7, 2008, 10:28 AM »
I wouldn't mind seing a Dodgers v Red Sox series :)

I bet MLB would like the ratings that would come with that series too.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #169 on: October 7, 2008, 10:33 AM »
I wasn't saying the Cubs choked...I was saying the Dodgers got no respect for absolutely destroying them and are a totally different team w/ Manny who they only had for what, 2 months?

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 7, 2008, 08:53 PM »
I wasn't saying the Cubs choked...I was saying the Dodgers got no respect for absolutely destroying them and are a totally different team w/ Manny who they only had for what, 2 months?

Oh I realize Scott, I just like twisting that knife in the side of the Cubs fans any chance I can get...

There had been a problem earlier that year with some fans that had jumped onto the field and beat up a coach from KC.

I got to my car and they had spit all over my car. Worst experience ever at a ballpark.

I remember that KC game.  That was the worst thing I think I've ever seen at a baseball game.  There was something in the air that year, because I think there was another incident where someone went after an ump too.  Under no circumstances should a fan ever go onto the field at a game.  Unless of course the fall over the railing going for a foul ball, but that's another discussion...

As far as your experience at the Twins game, I know what you're talking about.  I'm a Sox fan and I've almost gotten into fights with other Sox fans over their behavior at games.  My wife and I used to make a point of going to the inter-league games every year between the Cubs and Sox.  However, we stopped going to the games at The Cell because of the atmosphere.  When they still played night games at The Cell for that series, I came very close to getting into a fight with 3 guys as we were leaving the stadium because my wife was wearing her Cubs jersey.  It was the game where Carlos Lee hit a walk off Grand Slam for the Sox.  We were in the upper tank and were walking down the stairs to leave.  A guy saw my wife was a Cubs fan and decided it was a good idea to get in her face as she was trying to exit.  As he was yelling at her and pointing in her face I grabbed him by the throat and pushed him back into his row.  His two buddies were going to 'rescue' him but thought better of it for some reason.  I don't know if it was because they saw I was a Sox fan or because they had a moment of clarity and realized it wasn't smart to talk that way to a lady.  Either way, confrontation avoided.  However, my wife decided it was best to put on her coat as we were walking to our car...  I think I counted 5 fights that night...

Needless to say, after that year they no longer play that series at night, and we no longer attend those games.

If you avoid the upper tank, the crowd is usually a little better.  I've never seen any problems when I've been in the lower levels.  Now that we have the kids, we usually try to go on Sundays because those are the 'family' games.  It's a much more friendly atmosphere on Sundays...

I'll tell you what, if you and Justin ever think of going to another Twins series at The Cell, give me a shout.  I think it would be a good time to head down there with some MN fans.  And if you don't enjoy yourselves at the game because of the crowd, I'll pay for your tickets :)
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Sugart

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 10, 2008, 02:52 AM »
Phils win  ;D. Sweet Bay Jesus if Ryan Howard starts to hit sometime this post season, we are going to be a very hard team to beat. I know its only one game, but I still love the fact that no one is talking about Philly. Keep it up media, the us against the world mentality is very powerful

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2008, 09:32 AM »
Ultimate conundrum for me. Grew up a Philies lover living just North of Phily and adopted the Dodgers when I move to LA. Still, Philies haven't won a series since 1980.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Sugart

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 14, 2008, 06:59 PM »
Ultimate conundrum for me. Grew up a Philies lover living just North of Phily and adopted the Dodgers when I move to LA. Still, Philies haven't won a series since 1980.

I could move anywhere on the planet and will never stop being a Philadelphia fan.....its a curse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 14, 2008, 10:51 PM »
The idea that the Rays could win one of the first two games was believable.

That they could march into Boston and beat the crap out of Lester was very far fetched.

That they could do it again the next day is beyond belief.

Still 4 outs to go... but I'm feeling good about the Rays chances of hanging on to a 13-4 lead.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2008, 08:13 AM »
Hats off to the Rays.  After looking flat in game 1, they've been loose ever since and the scoreboard shows it.  If the Rays win game 5 (and I fully expect them to), the least I hope for is the Sox don't play like a bunch of limp dicks and actually make a game of it instead of it being over in the first inning.  The Rays are the better team and have been the entire season.

With that said, I hope the Phillies smoke their asses in the World Series.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2008, 09:14 AM »
As long as Boston isn't in the World Series I don't care who wins. It would be great to see the Rays win as they have had the storybook year and this would be the ultimate finish to the season. Any team that is haveing what is called a "Cinderella" season will for all time be compared to the 2008 Devil Rays.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 15, 2008, 10:20 AM »
As long as Boston isn't in the World Series I don't care who wins. It would be great to see the Rays win as they have had the storybook year and this would be the ultimate finish to the season. Any team that is haveing what is called a "Cinderella" season will for all time be compared to the 2008 Devil Rays.

If you put any money down on them to win the world series at the start of the season, you'd be doing well.  I think they said last night that they were getting 100 to 1.

With that said, I hope the Phillies smoke their asses in the World Series.

Not going to happen (assuming everyone gets there).  The Tampa owns Philadelphia come playoff time.   :D

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #178 on: October 15, 2008, 11:50 PM »
Congrats Philly fans!
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 16, 2008, 09:18 AM »
Yay Phillies!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."