Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 106337 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2009, 01:23 PM »
Saw this on Sunday and was floored by how awesome it is. I actually wanted to get in line and see it all over again.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2009, 01:40 PM »
My local theatre was actually sold out for the first showing on Saturday.  Haven't seen that happen since ROTS.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2009, 09:17 AM »
I happened to see a commercial for Trek yesterday, and it started with "Star Trek is......" followed by a quick flashing montage of footage from the movie, then says "this generation's Star Wars".  It was from some reviewer (missed the name), but that was the entire commercial.  I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet, but it was interesting to see an ad basically going right at the prequels.  I'm not saying they are wrong (it could be amazing and much better than some of the prequels, as many have said), but technically this generation already has a "Star Wars". :P

Also, IGN has a new feature up discussing how the new Trek owes more than a little to Star Wars.  Again, I haven't had a chance to see the new Trek yet, but there appears to be a lot of similarities (according to this article).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:42 AM by Brian »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2009, 09:19 AM »
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2009, 04:43 PM »
I happened to see a commercial for Trek yesterday, and it started with "Star Trek is......" followed by a quick flashing montage of footage from the movie, then says "this generation's Star Wars".  It was from some reviewer (missed the name), but that was the entire commercial.  I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet, but it was interesting to see an ad basically going right at the prequels.  I'm not saying they are wrong (it could be amazing and much better than some of the prequels, as many have said), but technically this generation already has a "Star Wars". :P

Also, IGN has a new feature up discussing how the new Trek owes more than a little to Star Wars.  Again, I haven't had a chance to see the new Trek yet, but there appears to be a lot of similarities (according to this article).

The funny thing about that is they still act like Star Wars is the thing to beat even with the sub-par prequel trilogy.  I just find it interesting.  The media and fans will be the first to rip Star Wars apart but the marketing mentions them time and time again.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2009, 04:50 PM »
I recall when The Fifth Element was coming out and being billed as Star Wars for a new generation.  Man, that was a sad attempt at marketing.  They should have just said, "Nearly Naked Milla Jovovich" and called it a day.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2009, 05:23 PM »
I still think that LOTR is our generation's Star Wars. Aside from the Academy Awards and astronomical box office, it was a pop-culture juggernaut for 2001-03. And think about how much of its lingo has entered our lexicon--reference a hobbit or Mordor and anyone's turned on a TV or read a magazine in the last 8 years will know what you mean.

It was one of those rare genre movies, like Dark Knight, that basically everyone has seen. I mean, even my then 82-year-old grandmother went to ROTK with my aunt.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:24 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2009, 11:50 PM »
I still think that LOTR is our generation's Star Wars.

"Our" generation?   :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2009, 02:33 AM »
Bah, I hang out with other college kids all day; sometimes I forget I'm not on Facebook. Sorry pops. :P

"This" generation's Star Wars, then.

I kind of hesitate to even call it "my" generation's Star Wars since my Star Wars is, well, Star Wars, but whatev...
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2009, 09:18 AM »
Yeah, we've had that discussion elsewhere here before I think - but - aside from the prequels - I think "this" generation's Star Wars is probably either Lord of the Rings or maybe Harry Potter.  LOTR seems to be that for the older set, but Harry Potter might have that more all-encompassing "family" feel that the LOTR trilogy maybe doesn't.  I love both franchises, but I know that I watched all of the OT movies before I was seven - and I think the orcs/goblins/Uruk Hai would scare the bejeezus out of many seven year olds.

As a bit of a side topic - I know the prequels are definitely not without their weaknesses, but I do get a little tired of the media bashing of Star Wars.  Especially since it all gets lumped together it seems.  ROTS in particular is starting to get a bad rap just due to everyone disliking TPM and AOTC - while ROTS seemed to get pretty good marks not just from fans but critics as well.  Although it may not be happening, it almost seems like the "SW reputation" is starting to drag the OT down more too, which I sure hope doesn't happen.  I'm more than happy to see Star Trek and other franchises get their moment in the sun, and be successful, but it seems like so often it is accompanied by "man this is so much better than Star Wars/the prequels".  I guess it is only natural, I know many of us made the same comparisons when the LOTR movies were hitting theatres.  I know I came out of the theatre after seeing Fellowship of the Ring (and not having read the book yet at that point) and just being awestruck.  "THAT'S how to make a movie" :P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2009, 04:29 PM »
Some kind of contest on, it appears that a cameo was made by R2-D2 in the movie. Only open to the residents of the United States.   >:(

Find ‘Star Wars’ in ‘Star Trek’ To Win A Prop

STAR TREK Easter Egg Sweepstakes

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2009, 10:36 PM »
K, so I went to see this...

Holy ****!

It's easily better than TPM and AOTC...  I'd say it's as good as ROTS in a different kind of way.  That, to me, puts it on-par with the worst (which is still awesome) of the original trilogy.  As Star Trek goes, it's as good to me as TNG, and DS9 were, and I personally found it to be a much better movie than First Contact (it pains me to say it) and far better than Wrath of Kahn (I only ranked that film lower than FC because I prefer the newer crew over the old one).

The acting...

It was amazing I thought.  I felt all the characters were portrayed marvelously.  I would say the Spock character was overall the best, and Bones a very close second.  Scotty and Chekov were a little less spotlighted, as was Sulu and Uhura, but all 4 were marvelous.  The Kirk was not William Shatner, but instead it was what Kirk would've been had Shatner not been a worse actor I think.  That's not really a knock on him, it's more a testament to the way the kid playing him was able to capture the womanizing, "*******" persona that was Kirk, but without the dramatic pausing and such.  Shatner layed the groundwork and this kid refined it IMO.

Everything I heard about Bones was right...  What a portrayal.  He's probably the most true to his original character, but I rreally felt Spock was pulled off just as well or better.  It's just hard to gauge being that he's not emotional and all.

The story...

It was really great to see a movie that the story was almost parallel to the character development.  You got to know the crew, while at the same time the movie's plotline was setting you up for this reboot of the Star Trek franchise...  It fit flawlessly.  It didn't give you enemies you were distracted by or anything.  They had a quick little story to who they are and why they act the way they do, but you didn't get bogged down in them...  They weren't center stage, the Enterprise and her crew are.

There's a lot of little "this is why this is this way" type moments...  I liked, as a ST fan in general, seeing these things.  They tied it pretty well together, everything has a great solid explanation that I could figure, and so as a fan of the original stuff I didn't feel that the old TV show, subsequent movies, or subsequent TV series were "cheated" by this film at all.  They all mesh well.

The Enterprise is made much more realistic I felt...  It's not the same ship inside, but outside's very close.  Inside's updated but still tried to keep that old feel to it too.  I was impressed.

In general this is an A+ to me...  I could watch it again easily too, so I may catch it in IMAX since we've got a screen here for that.

As a testament to the quality this is, my gf HATES Star Trek...  If possible, moreso than anything else I've dragged her to see, or that I watch religiously (ST: TNG reruns, etc.), and she really, really liked this movie.  It's got a lot of good, well-placed humor, it's got a lot of character depth, and it's got a **** TON of potential for sequals.  They basically put down the foundation of a number of movies here with this one.

And Scotty's buddy kicks ass.  How this guy didn't get a figure, I'll never know.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2009, 10:47 AM »
Some kind of contest on, it appears that a cameo was made by R2-D2 in the movie. Only open to the residents of the United States.   >:(

Find ‘Star Wars’ in ‘Star Trek’ To Win A Prop

STAR TREK Easter Egg Sweepstakes

That sounds cool. I wonder were R2 was?
"Maybe J.J. will figure out a way to kill off Jar Jar for his second “Trek” go-round." - Maybe Naboo could go the way of Vulcan?  That would get rid of him.  ;)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2009, 01:06 AM »
Damn those Trekkies... 

http://www.trekyourself.com/?mId=30184220.3

Damn them to hell, and their green blooded, pointy eared, bowl cut friends too!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2009, 01:09 AM »
Damn those Trekkies... 

http://www.trekyourself.com/?mId=30184220.3

Damn them to hell, and their green blooded, pointy eared, bowl cut friends too!

What the hell is that?