Author Topic: Wal-Mart Droid Factory Sets  (Read 130883 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart Droid Factory Sets
« Reply #315 on: March 29, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Unless he's rich. I know a rich collector who wouldn't bat an eye at dropping $650 for 10 Darktroopers.

And at this point, considering that there are fewer and fewer things that Hasbro doesn't re-release OR improve on at a later date, my statement still stands. I'm not bragging, but I could swing dropping $650 for 10 DarkTroopers my self, but in two years when the figure comes out a different way, I'd feel like a supreme IDIOT for dropping so much money on something that two or more years later would have only cost me $100 (say if the figure is released individually carded). It all comes down to what you're willing to spend and live with, I guess.

I have had a couple of instances over the past 15 years of collecting this line just like this...

I once dropped $400 for a graded set of MOMC WalMart Saga Cantina Wave 2. I have all of the EP1 foreign releases with Battledroids and Pit Droids - I even bought some so I could open up the pit droids. At the time I made both purchases, they seemed like a good idea. In hindsight, after the K-Mart Cantina 3-pack Sets AND the 2007 Saga Legends line, both of those purchases became downright silly and for me the only sollace I found in making them was that a majority of the purchases left me with hard-to-get items in my MOC/MIB collection.

Granted it was almost 10 years, but even the Darktrooper from the first EU wave in the late 90's found it's way out again - and I know a couple of guys who dropped a lot of money on eBay to army build that trooper.

So anyway, my point is that if the history of this line has taught us ANYTHING, it's that a figure that may be hard-to-get (or expensive-to-get) one year, ends up being easy to get the next (or a couple of years later).
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #316 on: March 29, 2009, 02:49 PM »
I'd still wait for the regular release which (as mentioned) we all know is coming eventually.

Just an FYI that in JD's Q&A last week the topic of re-issuing the BaD figures was asked.  Hasbro said "As for the Dark Trooper - it will be far too big to ever put on a Saga Legends card!"

It could still show up in a box set at some point I suppose, but from the answer and what was said about it at Toy Fair, it sure sounds like a "Ephant Mon" ("he's too big for a carded re-release") type of thing.  Never say never and all that jazz, but don't hold your breath waiting for the BaD Dark Trooper to be re-released anytime soon.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 02:51 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 29, 2009, 05:25 PM »
Hasbro would be stupid to say that it will be available later because it would hurt sales for these upcoming BAD sets.

My money is on a change of heart a year or three from now.  Maybe it's a deluxe pack, maybe it's a mail-away, maybe like you said it's in a box set.  Whatever it is, if people want to buy it, it'll be available.

Lucky for me I only want one.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 05:25 PM by Rob »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #318 on: March 30, 2009, 02:35 AM »
I was more curious to fish for the answer we got, which is that it's not fit for a basic card, like Ephant Mon...  It's not likely to happen then, but re-released as part of something?  That's a cool thought, and leaves hope of army building Dark Troopers to some extent, at some point. 

Looks like such a kick butt figure, I'm sad not to get the chance to buy multiples on a card...  That's one figure I can't wait for this year, and it's all just pack-in parts.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 2, 2009, 04:11 PM »
I know at least one person that is looking to build 10 of the Dark Troopers. I don't envy him one bit.

At a total cost of $650, I wouldn't envy him either. And when Hasbro DOES put the completely built Dark Trooper out as a stand-alone figure in two years, you'll pity him.

Unless he's rich. I know a rich collector who wouldn't bat an eye at dropping $650 for 10 Darktroopers.

Jayson - You could just say my name!!!

Pete Fett - It is true that I want 10 of them for my army. Am I willing to pay $650 to get them all? Kinda depends on the ability to get completed versions cheap, or if I can sell off 9 sets of 5 and make most if not all my money back.

Ant - Not rich, not by a long shot.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #320 on: April 2, 2009, 05:18 PM »
Well, if the picture they put up of this guy at TF is not just a total distortion, it looks like he could be almost twice as tall as a regular figure.   :o

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 2, 2009, 10:09 PM »
I know at least one person that is looking to build 10 of the Dark Troopers. I don't envy him one bit.

At a total cost of $650, I wouldn't envy him either. And when Hasbro DOES put the completely built Dark Trooper out as a stand-alone figure in two years, you'll pity him.

Jayson - You could just say my name!!!

Pete Fett - It is true that I want 10 of them for my army. Am I willing to pay $650 to get them all? Kinda depends on the ability to get completed versions cheap, or if I can sell off 9 sets of 5 and make most if not all my money back.

Ant - Not rich, not by a long shot.

WOW. Good luck with that! :D
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 3, 2009, 08:22 AM »
I just don't see a lot of people out there that are going to want the two basic figs and NOT the piece of the Darktrooper.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #323 on: April 3, 2009, 11:30 AM »
I'm getting at least 3 of the 2 packs as I want the droids, but don't know what a darktrooper is and have no interest in getting one, so will be trading away the parts, preferably for astromech BAD parts.  If someone wants to cut a deal, let me know!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #324 on: April 4, 2009, 01:40 AM »
Hobbie, I'd maybe be interested.  Lots of astro parts around my place these days.  I'm currently looking for the dome of the red/black/white/blue astro that's in Wave 5 since I have an almost complete one.  Figures I'd need that one stupid part.  I'm hoping it's what Wioslea comes with as I could use another of her for custom fodder.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 8, 2009, 01:03 PM »
I'm getting at least 3 of the 2 packs as I want the droids, but don't know what a darktrooper is and have no interest in getting one, so will be trading away the parts, preferably for astromech BAD parts.  If someone wants to cut a deal, let me know!

Yo - I have some extra domes from the Spacetrooper that I don't need. if you are willing to trade for the Spacetrooper parts I am all for that.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #326 on: April 8, 2009, 03:06 PM »
I've had a lot of people ask me about these so far, (I guess the Darktrooper is pretty popular!) but I don't want to make any promises until I actually get these.  I'm not sure what parts I'll need by then, or even how many parts I'll have.  I may just pick up some of the droids loose if as many people are going to be getting the sets for the DT parts as I'm starting to believe.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Wal-Mart Exclusive Wave? (Fall 2009)
« Reply #327 on: May 3, 2009, 01:58 PM »
An interesting answer from the Q&A this week at TheJawa:

The shirtless Evolutions Darth Maul looks great but if Hasbro ever re-releases this sculpt again, say... as part of a 2pack with a Sith training droid from the Darth Maul comic, could you use a brighter shade of red paint?  It was disappointing that the Evo Maul had such a muddy red look whereas in previous action figure incarnations, Hasbro used a much more intense red that really made him stand out.  And any chance of including a softgoods outfit with a re-release?

Thanks for the feedback.  We will look at this for any future releases. This Fall's Wal-Mart exclusive Droid Factory wave - which uses this figure and a soft goods robe, might satisfy your needs (although the figure is a little darker than the Evo figure version).  Beyond that, we don't have any plans for the figure but if we did re-release we will take your comments into account. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 3, 2009, 01:58 PM by David »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart Exclusive Wave? (Fall 2009)
« Reply #328 on: May 3, 2009, 02:03 PM »
Droid Factory wave 2 sets. One figure, one droid, and a BAD piece per set. Buy all 5 sets and build the Dark Trooper. Similar to the Order 66 series and there was a line-up of 6 released last year. Ring any bells? I'm too lazy to get you some pics.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart Exclusive Wave? (Fall 2009)
« Reply #329 on: May 3, 2009, 02:35 PM »
See HERE and HERE
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback