Author Topic: TRU "Disturbance at Lars Homestead" Battle Pack  (Read 85068 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: TRU "Disturbance at Lars Homestead" Battle Pack
« Reply #210 on: September 1, 2008, 10:10 AM »
Update: Crunchy Nug (a local) said he found a couple and that the price was $50.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 1, 2008, 10:47 PM »
Update: Crunchy Nug (a local) said he found a couple and that the price was $50.

Did he say whether or not that $50 price point included lubricant? 
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #212 on: September 2, 2008, 01:37 AM »
No, but it included a "Mister Fister" attachment, and directions with where/how to insert.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2008, 01:38 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 2, 2008, 09:46 AM »
I held one myself yesterday. $50.

Although I didn't buy it, I was tempted. Despite my moaning and groaning, the dome really does look nice.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 2, 2008, 10:05 AM »
Oh, I'm sure it did - just not $50 nice.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 2, 2008, 10:52 AM »
I'll get it and just brown bag lunch for a week.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 2, 2008, 10:52 AM »
Crappiest battle Pack ever....

Not worth $50.

Why have the Jawa Sandcrawler in the picture?
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 2, 2008, 11:03 AM »
This would have been the perfect time for them to add some cool weapons for Owen and Beru to use to.  We could have had an SA Owen and Beru packing heat against the stormtroopers.  I guess Luke took the only weapon the family owned with that big long rifle with him.  Must have left the Lars defenseless. 

I will still be tempted to get this thing for the dome.  To bad it was not $35.00.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #218 on: September 2, 2008, 11:54 AM »
I still want one. Will try to hit up TRU today after work.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #219 on: September 2, 2008, 02:08 PM »
I like that Owen's best offense is to point his finger and put his other hand on his hip scolding the Stormtroopers, and Beru just pours them a drink and makes them a sammich.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 3, 2008, 10:23 PM »
I just bought this in LA and I can confirm that it does indeed suck and/or blow.  The packaging issues aside, the dealbreaker for me here is that the base is a vacuum-formed thin and flimsy plastic.  The actual Lars igloo element is pretty good-- not super-thick, but it feels like it might make a reasonable toy. There's a table under the igloo that's the same color as Beru's blue milk accessories (which were NOT included) and is made from a similar feeling plastic as those accessories.

I feel like the base desert component will, over time, be one of the most broken items in collections.  It really doesn't feel sturdy at all, and I would say it feels like a Halloween costume mask-- you know the kind, with the crappy piece of elastic on it.

I can safely say-- without exaggeration-- with the exception of MAYBE the metal hilt/plastic blade lightsabers-- this may be the flimsiest feeling toy Kenner or Hasbro produced in the modern line.  I'd say it seemed barely worth the $49.99 on paper, but now that I have it in my hands, I can say if you're on the fence, don't bother.  Although it may be worth it if you don't have the figures or vaporator.

Oh, and the Womp Rat is a single-piece PVC figure with no articulation.  Owen and Beru have paint jobs about a half a notch below their original releases.  The Sandtrooper is really just fine, but is missing his Saga/Saga Legends accessories.

I know a lot of people say "don't wait for clearance," but seriously, wait for clearance.  Or coupons.  I had some bonus store credit and even with a decent discount, I think I'd feel this is-- at best-- a $25-$30 piece.   If they used a better plastic for the base, it'd be a good item at-- maybe-- $40ish.

I am now officially nervous to see how the Pit of Carkoon turns out.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 3, 2008, 10:36 PM »
Hey Adam...can I say "I told you so" now? 
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 3, 2008, 10:50 PM »
Hey Adam...can I say "I told you so" now? 

Are you implying that I would listen to *anyone* before deciding not to purchase a Star Wars action figure toy for my collection? :)

If they ditched the vac-form plastic, I wouldn't complain.  That's basically a dealbreaker.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #223 on: September 3, 2008, 11:24 PM »
the dealbreaker for me here is that the base is a vacuum-formed thin and flimsy plastic.

I have something similar, actually, for a Power Team Elite toy...  PTE is basically a knock-off military line, and they sell various vehicles and stuff, but that aside they sold a Navy SEAL boat last year, which is a quite nice toy in general, and it came with a "water" base for the boat to sit on and look like it's cruising over the waves...  It's the same vacu-formed super thin plastic you're describing Adam.  It can take sitting on a shelf but as a toy it's doomed to crack and break.

Knowing that's what Hasbro did for the base for this, and that vacu-forming is insanely cost-efficient (IE: Cheap), that just makes passing this up that much easier to me.  It sounds like the dome isn't even all that fabulous actually, so yeah this is easily a lame move by Hasbro. 

I've been at this hobby for long before there was even a modern line, and I can safely say I'm fidning it easier and easier to pass stuff up.  The price usually is enough for me...  I'm not nearly as forgiving as some of you guys are on rationalizing it being "quality for the cost", but stuff like this coupled with the cost is making it easier for me to just say no...  I know I'm not biting on that Durge comic pack.  A price hike and no articulation increase despite being told we would get one.  **** that.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 4, 2008, 08:56 AM »
Thanks for taking the bullet for the team Adam! I'm not going to think twice about not picking it up now.