Author Topic: 2008 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 30051 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 4, 2008, 08:54 PM »
I haven't seen the second film.  I've seen a couple clips from it and it didn't look all that good.

It's a pretty safe bet to say that a movie that goes straight to video usually sucks.

As for the 1st film, that one kicked ass.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 4, 2008, 11:37 PM »
I don't always agree with that.  The last two Stargate movies that went straight to DVD were pretty good.  I'd be happy having Fanboys come directly to DVD as long as they use the cancer plot that we previewed at CIV last year.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 4, 2008, 11:53 PM »
Depends on the franchise I guess. You can check this place out & see if it's any good.

Fanboys! Yeah, out next month maybe. 

COMIC CON 2008: "Fanboys" Exclusive Featurette!

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #63 on: August 7, 2008, 07:35 AM »
I see that Starship Troopers 3 is coming out tomorrow.  Has anyone even seen ST2   ???  I heard that movie sucked, but it obvioulsy must have made some dough to warrent another sequel.

Starship Troopers 2 was god awful. There were boobs in it, though, so... but yeah, if you pick it up, don't expect a sequel to Starship Troopers - instead, just think of a movie, filmed in a hotel, using a few Starship Troopers props (guns, helmets) and nothing more. Don't expect bugs, don't expect landscape, don't expect anything at all... because you won't get anything but really, really dark and close quarters shots of people destroying their scripts.

On that note, I can't wait to pick up Starship Troopers 3 for about $5... I love terrible movies, so long as I go into it knowing it's going to super-suck.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 7, 2008, 07:55 AM »
I see that Starship Troopers 3 is coming out tomorrow.  Has anyone even seen ST2   ???  I heard that movie sucked, but it obvioulsy must have made some dough to warrent another sequel.

Starship Troopers 2 was god awful. There were boobs in it, though, so... but yeah, if you pick it up, don't expect a sequel to Starship Troopers - instead, just think of a movie, filmed in a hotel, using a few Starship Troopers props (guns, helmets) and nothing more. Don't expect bugs, don't expect landscape, don't expect anything at all... because you won't get anything but really, really dark and close quarters shots of people destroying their scripts.

On that note, I can't wait to pick up Starship Troopers 3 for about $5... I love terrible movies, so long as I go into it knowing it's going to super-suck.

I completely agree...I picked up Starship Troopers 2 in a 2 for 1 deal with the first one.  I couldn't have been more disappointed.  I am either going to rent the new one, or see if it shows up On Demand.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 7, 2008, 09:45 AM »
There is something really fun about watching a movie that you know is going to suck. It makes it evenmore fun to laugh at it in a MST3K kind of way.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 8, 2008, 07:17 PM »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 8, 2008, 07:36 PM »
Nice.  But didn't they do a huge set like this a few years ago, only it came with a bust or something?  I forget.  This one reminds me of that huge Alien set they did that came in the Alien head as the holder.

That's impressive, though, 24-inches long for the ship?  I'm a sucker for those collector type items but I don't think I'd look to get something like this.  I didn't like the two sequels well enough!

The nicest premium sets I've ever purchased have been the the Fellowship and Return of the King LOTR sets and the Di Vinci Code set with the Codex.  I'm still upset that I never bought the Minas Morgul companion piece to go along with that set.

On the other hand, the most disappointing premium set I bought was Order of the Phoenix with the Death Eater mask...cheap.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 8, 2008, 07:44 PM »
Yep, it came with a bust.

Just to have the Nebuchadnezzar would be cool, yeah it looks like a fair size so around the 24" mark like you said.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 9, 2008, 12:07 AM »
Ah, that's what I was thinking on the Matrix.

You know what other set I just thought of that was insane, but very cool, was the I, Robot set with the Sonny head.  The Japanese market really knows how to do a DVD release right.

E...

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2008, 02:33 PM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2008, 07:38 PM »

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2008, 08:32 PM »
And I now have a couple of reasons to buy a Blu-Ray player.

In other news, I picked up Season 11 of South Park today.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2008, 08:46 PM »
Picked up Season 11 of South Park today too.

Also I noticed Wal-Mart put up a huge mid-aisle display box with all 6 Star Wars movies, with the "Limited Edition: You can only get them from September to December 2006!" versions of the OT. $13 each, I almost snagged the OT discs but remembered that the original versions weren't enhanced for 16x9.

Marking my calendar for 9/30 and 10/14...
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2008, 06:15 PM »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN