Author Topic: Problems shipping to Canada?  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Problems shipping to Canada?
« on: June 2, 2008, 04:42 PM »
This thread feels way familiar, so I'm sorry if I started it once before years ago (but the search engine still sucks). 

I'm very curious what kind of problems guys have with shipping stuff to Canada?  I see this a lot on various boards and certainly on ebay, to the point where US sellers have even blocked me from bidding because I reside in Canada (yet have a US address for delivery through a friend).  I'm certainly aware of some horrendous delays in stuff getting here, thanks to our craptastic system but in all my dealings I've never actually had anything go missing going from here to south and only had some dubious incidents of things going missing from there to here (can you say scammed, yeah, me too). 

So what are the huge hassles?  Are they real, or are there a bunch of Canadian scam artists ruining it for the rest of us?  I know of a couple of guys that have done that in the past but I also know of guys in the US scamming as well.  Lack of tracking?  What gives, why you hate on Canada mon? 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Problems shipping to Canada?
« Reply #1 on: June 2, 2008, 05:20 PM »
I've actually had at least 2 packages go missing when people were sending me things from Canada.  Both have been from reputable forum members (one here and one at another non-SW site I visit) so I'm convinced its not scamming.  I never did receive the packages nor did they get returned to sender.  I'm always leary of shipping to and from the Great North but for the most part my shipments have been uneventful.  I certainly would not "block" someone because they are from Canada.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 2, 2008, 07:20 PM »
I've shipped a few things to Jesse and have never had a problem on this end.  Just have to fill out the Custom forms at the post office, but that's pretty painless.  I just try to take extra care in packing it because the box is usually in pretty bad shape by the time it finally arrives.  I've never had any hassles at all - either in shipping stuff or receiving it. 

I don't hate you guys - I just blame you for Celine and Alanis >:(

"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 2, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Hey, we gave you Celine & Alanis & you all can keep them!  :-*   ;D

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 2, 2008, 08:45 PM »
Hey, we gave you Celine & Alanis & you all can keep them!  :-*   ;D

They seem to be the only things we have trouble shipping back to Canada............... ;)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: June 2, 2008, 09:16 PM »
The only thing I run into shipping to Canada is they're a little bitchy about shipping envelopes if they're too thick (moreso than our own country is anyway), and sending in the customs slips can be a bit of a pain.  Depending on the PO you frequent they can give you a hard time or not.  I know my local guy can be a dick some days and nice others.  I just sent some stuff to Jesse, and had it go smoothly, but other times I've had them hastle me about it somewhat...

I don't think much of shipping to Canada though.  I'd probably second-guess a shipment to Alaska or Hawaii first, as I'd think both cost more.  Blocking you guys on Ebay is as pointless as it gets though.  Just shooting yourself in the foot on the number of potential customers you could draw.

Shipping overseas though, I understand reluctance there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 2, 2008, 09:51 PM »
The only thing I run into shipping to Canada is they're a little bitchy about shipping envelopes if they're too thick (moreso than our own country is anyway), and sending in the customs slips can be a bit of a pain.  Depending on the PO you frequent they can give you a hard time or not.  I know my local guy can be a dick some days and nice others.  I just sent some stuff to Jesse, and had it go smoothly, but other times I've had them hastle me about it somewhat...

It just never occurred to me that there was any hassle involved with shipping to Canada.  The paperwork is quick and painless  --  I've never had my local clerk give me a hard time.  Then again, her son is a member of the 501st................

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 2, 2008, 11:49 PM »
I get nervous whenever I send anything outside the US.  I've run a few auctions on eBay where I'd only accept US and Canada bidders, though, and I've never excluded Canadians from anything I've sold on eBay or elsewhere.

I don't think I've ever had a problem with anything I've shipped and only one item that came from Canada to me had an issue with it.  And that was the sellers fault and not really the post office.

And yes, it's cheaper to ship to Canada than Alaska.  I found that out the hard way.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: June 3, 2008, 12:27 AM »
That's what I was guessing...  That's the real EBF out there.

Yeah I don't hesitate to ship to Canada, but I have run into "you didn't....." type problems at the PO over the customs slip.  They can be dicks about it if they want, I think is the point.  I never really ran into one that prevented me from shipping though, just usually meant me refilling out a paper or something. 

They give you the stink eye because the box weighs more than you listed or something...  Just lame junk such as that.  Like I say, the PO I go to the most has a couple clerks and one in particular can give you a hard time if his mood is off.  He's not been bad lately though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 3, 2008, 07:30 AM »
I shipped and received plenty from our neighbors to the North with no problems whatsoever.  Not bad for a third world country.
Common sense isn't so common