Author Topic: Legacy Collection Comic Packs  (Read 213598 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Legacy Collection Comic Packs
« Reply #585 on: February 4, 2010, 10:43 AM »
I never much cared about these either, so it's no loss to me.  Sucks for the people looking forward to them, though.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 5, 2010, 10:47 AM »
I can definitely agree that the Shadow trooper set could have been pulled instead.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa...

Let's be rational here.

;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 5, 2010, 11:49 AM »
I can definitely agree that the Shadow trooper set could have been pulled instead.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa...

Let's be rational here.

;)

I am. lol

Heh, if Hasbro can sell you some carp like that Shadow trooper set, I've got some property in Florida I'd like to show you...
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 5, 2010, 02:26 PM »
What pisses me off about the comic packs is if they had to cancel some, why not cancel the Bogey Squad or Utapau Trooper repaints?  Then give us Deliah/Nihl and Jareal/Dyre.  Pack them all 2 per case and sell them.

Target has actually stocked the Krayt/Dare, Vong/Katarn, Luke/Lumiya sets about three times and believe it or not, not only have those three sold but so have the Marvel repaint sets.  The sets not selling, Wedge/Borssk and Luke/Deena.  And we're still left with Leia/Xizor packs.

Walmart had the Krayt/Dare wave at least twice and sold every single pack both times.  What's left?  The Leia/Xizor pack that they've had for 6 months or longer.  Not only that, but Walmart also raised their price from $12.88 to $14.88 because I'm sure that'll get Xizor to move...

I can't understand how the comic packs when from Hasbro Golden Child to Redheaded Step Child in less than 9 months.  Besides the Wedge pack at Target and the Leia/Xizor packs at Wamarts (plural, I've seen multiples of that pack at several WM stores), everything Hasbro put out has sold.  I never saw a slowdown in comic pack sales except the blatant peg warming of the Xizor set.  That problem was fixable by Hasbro if they had just recalled them like they did the Yarna/Breha/Bail figures, which, by the way, were completely responsible for the decline of Legacy sales in my town for 9 months.

Another telling piece of the puzzle as far as I'm concerned is that the Vos/Faie, Clone Emperor/Luke wave showed up on clearance at Marshalls and TJ Maxx but I only ever saw that wave at retail maybe twice.  That's the wave that came after the Leia/Xizor wave... 

I won't try to argue that sales have to be off somewhere, you can't think that they aren't given the economy, but I still blame about 90% of the problems of Fall 2008 through the end of 2009 on Hasbro and how they failed to act on stale product at retail to help the flow new items.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #589 on: February 5, 2010, 02:41 PM »
I never saw a slowdown in comic pack sales except the blatant peg warming of the Xizor set.

Then count yourself lucky that you missed the delays that the Leia/Tobbi Dala and Dengar/Fenn Shysha sets caused.  People gobbled up the Imperial Knights and Talon/Cade from that wave and left these duds to rot.  Every Target around these parts was SWAMPED with them for months and months after they hit.

Which, goes back to the character selection gripe about this line.  All the rich characters in the Marvel Star Wars universe (Crimson Jack, Jaxxon, etc) and we got Fett repaints, a crappy PotF2 Hoth Leia repaint, and blue Dengar.  Thanks.   ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 5, 2010, 02:48 PM »
I am also seeing the Krayt waving hitting target - and they are not sitting long at all.

I saw something strange today when I went to the WM one town over (Elkhart, Indiana - you may have heard about them in the news - one of the hardest hit cities in the nation economically).  All three pegs were jam packed with the WM exclusive Rogue squadron pack and Sunbar/Amanamin.  There were also 4 of the Luke in imperial officer disguise packs marked down to $9 in the clearance aisle.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 5, 2010, 03:39 PM »
Surprisingly enough, Jeff, the Imperial Knights comic pack sat around at Walmart much longer than either of the two Mando sets did.

Between Binghamton, Elmira and Ithaca, NY, the only real loser in the comic packs was the Xizor/Leia set.  The Mando sets were slow sellers, Leia/Dala being the slowest of the two, but they still sold.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 5, 2010, 04:00 PM »
What pisses me off about the comic packs is if they had to cancel some, why not cancel the Bogey Squad or Utapau Trooper repaints?  Then give us Deliah/Nihl and Jareal/Dyre.  Pack them all 2 per case and sell them....
   E...

I have to agree with this. I'm a reformed army builder. A couple of years ago I would have been clamoring for the trooper sets. Now I'd MUCH rather prefer the original sculpt, unique character sets.

The troopers can come out in a battle pack and sell with no problem.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 5, 2010, 04:07 PM »
I'm bummed too. Any new rebel pilot is a good rebel pilot.

And you just know that there are a few stores out there that would love to give the set a home...
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 5, 2010, 04:21 PM »
Pretty much all the Wal-Mart exclusive sets have tanked outside of the Ewok one in recent memory, and I think Hasbro's to blame.  The selection of figures was questionable at best, and they compounded it by repacking pegwarmers into the assortments as well, choking out the distribution of the more desireable sets.  I'm extremely aggravated over what has happened with such promising figures like the KOTOR ones...

On the same topic, why Hasbro felt 2008-2009 would have been the era of Rebel pilot infactuation is beyond me.  There comes a point when using the same body over and over with different head and hand swaps in a short period of time is pure stupidity.  Sure, there's some diehards that will buy any SW figure in a pumpkin flight suit, but most of us will not, and the past year was ridiculous.  They didn't flood the basic figure line with these guys, but they overdid it with Evolution sets big time, and while having one Wal-Mart set of X-Wing pilots might have seemed reasonable (though they are still collecting dust), why on earth would they have even considered pushing a similar set on Wal-Mart again??  I'm glad that set isn't going to be hitting retail, because I already know it would be passed over by most collectors and kids (sorry to all the Rebel pilot fans, but yeesh).
« Last Edit: February 5, 2010, 04:23 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #595 on: February 5, 2010, 04:35 PM »
Pretty much all the Wal-Mart exclusive sets have tanked outside of the Ewok one in recent memory, and I think Hasbro's to blame.  The selection of figures was questionable at best

What, you mean no one was clamoring for comic packs with Marvel Lando/Stormtrooper?  RotS Dooku/Anakin?  They have definitely had some stinkers in the Walmart CP line.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #596 on: February 5, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Lando with the red pimp cape was off da chain and totally made that set worth it's weight in gold teeth.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2010, 04:42 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 5, 2010, 05:29 PM »
Pretty much all the Wal-Mart exclusive sets have tanked outside of the Ewok one in recent memory, and I think Hasbro's to blame.  The selection of figures was questionable at best

What, you mean no one was clamoring for comic packs with Marvel Lando/Stormtrooper?  RotS Dooku/Anakin?  They have definitely had some stinkers in the Walmart CP line.

I agree, and was including those as well, though I don't think the situation was as bad with that wave as the current situation...

Selection back then on the first set was okay, I think...

Wal-Mart Wave One
Bail Organa & Obi-Wan Kenobi
Commander Keller & Galactic Marine
Boba Fett & RA-7 Droid

The second wave had its problems, but I don't recall seeing nearly as much bulk hitting the pegs all at once... seems like the production numbers were lighter on this wave, but who knows.

Wal-Mart Wave Two
Lando Calrissian & Stormtrooper
Count Dooku & Anakin Skywalker
Kaskyyyk Trooper & Wookiee Trooper

I seem to recall with that second wave, Wal-Mart also didn't hesitate to clearance what was left on them to make room for non-exclusive comic packs that were shipping (at least in my area).

I think some of it has to do with price too... now we're even up to $14.88 on these sets at Wal-Mart... anyways, like I was saying, I think the demise of this line sucks and blame mostly Hasbro. 

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 5, 2010, 06:31 PM »
The odd thing about those Walmart exclusives is that they were really hard to find around here.  Of the 6 Walmart stores I searched, I only found them in one and it was by accident, I stopped during my lunch break while I was on the road for work.  I bought all three and was glad I did, because I've only seen them once since then, in PA, and they didn't have the Ewoks.  The Amanin is an excellent figure and even though Sunber is kind of terrible, it was well worth it for the one figure alone.  The two Pilots also, IMO, were great additions to the line but you're right, it was pilot overkill for the last year or more.

There was a pretty vocal minority that wanted more Rebel pilots, unfortunately it's all on Hasbro for overdoing it.  The comic packs were perfect for the Rogue Squadron characters and 1 Battle Pack per year with more would have been fine, maybe 1 here or there in the basic line, but mix it up with A-Wing and B-Wing characters, not all X-Wing pilots.  But the Evo sets really ruined a good thing. 

I've had a problem with the Evo sets for a couple years now anyway, they got away from what I felt was their core and when they did, they became overpriced money grabs on Hasbro's part.  I always felt that the Evo sets should show a true evolution of a character (more so than a theme) and that they should be best-of-the-best as far as sculpt or accessories go.  The Clone to Stormtrooper set, Anakin to Vader, even the Padme set, were excellent.  But three pilots, all Rebels?  That reused bodies and accessories?  How is that an evolution of anything?  Hasbro should have scrapped that line a while ago and put the characters that fit (like Darth Bane or Darth Nihilus) in comic packs where there could be media backstory for the characters.

Anyway, I've already said I blame most of this line's failure on Hasbro and for good or bad, there's not really anything that could change my opinion on that.

E...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 5, 2010, 08:36 PM »
Well, it's probably just the lack of Walmarts near me, but I've only found each of the first two wm comic sets at a single store.  The last set with the Ewoks, I never did see at retail and had to rely on friends to track them down.  Not sure if that's Hasbro or Walmart at fault, but just one more reason why I hate exclusives.  It just stinks for everyone involved when a company makes something you want to buy, but you can't give them your money because of the distribution.  :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today