Author Topic: Wal-Mart 501st Legion Clone Trooper  (Read 14254 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Wal-Mart 501st Legion Clone Trooper
« on: July 5, 2008, 10:57 AM »
Check out the pic at JediInsider.

I guess I'm not sure what makes him a "501st Trooper" since he looks like just a regular blue Clone Lieutenant to me... ???
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart 501st Legion Clone Trooper
« Reply #1 on: July 5, 2008, 12:30 PM »
Sweet Wal-Mart finally gets an exclusive figure! ;D

Though how is this any different from a Lieutenant figure?
« Last Edit: July 5, 2008, 12:32 PM by Rune Haako »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 5, 2008, 12:38 PM »

I guess I'm not sure what makes him a "501st Trooper" since he looks like just a regular blue Clone Lieutenant to me... ???

Clone Wars director Dave Filloni addressed the change in the Clone Troopers in the newest web doc on the Official Site.  The look of these clones is supposed to be a transitional change from the phase I clones of EPISODE II to the more specialized clones with unit markings as seen in EPISODE III.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jedi_Scum

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 5, 2008, 01:49 PM »

Clone Wars director Dave Filloni addressed the change in the Clone Troopers in the newest web doc on the Official Site.  The look of these clones is supposed to be a transitional change from the phase I clones of EPISODE II to the more specialized clones with unit markings as seen in EPISODE III.

So they've decided to retcon everything? Well that's nice and helpful  :P

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 5, 2008, 03:03 PM »
So they've decided to retcon everything? Well that's nice and helpful  :P

"Retcon?"  ???
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 5, 2008, 04:55 PM »
The ID card looks cool. To bad WM Canada almost never gets exclusives. besides the last series of comic packs that is.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2008, 10:27 AM »
Another dreaded Walmart exclusive  ::)
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 6, 2008, 11:27 AM »
"Retcon?"  ???

It's an abbreviation for "retroactive continuity" and refers to making something fit into the canon of a particular fictional universe by altering past continuity.  Another example of this is explaining the non-Jango voices of the Stormtroopers in the OT by saying that other clone sources were used, or introducing Yoda as a teacher to ALL young Jedi as a way of getting around the "If Obi-Wan was trained by Qui-Gon, why did he tell Luke that Yoda trained him" situation in TPM/AOTC/ESB.

And sorry to all you Wal-Mart haters out there, but I'm much less nervous about finding this figure than I am the Commander Fox figure.  Wal-Mart sucks, to be sure, but Target are, by and large, ********.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 6, 2008, 03:49 PM »
Another dreaded Walmart exclusive  ::)

I couldn't agree more. Now it almost seems that the stores are trying to one-up each other in terms of exclusives.

I know I'm probably forgetting some, but here's a list of the exclusives we're getting:

WalMart:
501st Legion Clone Trooper
A-Wing
Clone Wars Gunship (v1)

TRU:
Dagger Squadron B-Wing
Holo Grevious
Clone Wars Gunship (v2)
Clone Wars ARC-170

Target:
Commander Fox

And I'm sure Target's getting more then that, and if not now, then we know there's going to be three Ultra Battle Packs this year instead of just two.

I don't mind the idea of an exclusive figure here or there, or even an exclusive vehicle or battle pack, but is it just me or does it seem like the number of exclusives goes up-and-up each year?

I can't possibly imagine there being more product and/or exclusives in 2009, it just doesn't seem possible. Unless Hasbro wants to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the collapse of the line in addition to celebrating the 10th anniversary of Episode 1.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 6, 2008, 04:36 PM »
These stores are not dumb.  They know us adults will plunk down some mula for their exclusive stuff.  I will refrain from a lot of it but I think others will not and get practically every exclusive item they can...if they can find it of course.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 7, 2008, 09:37 AM »
Yeah, Wal-Mart exclusives are usually a pain to find around here too (except the latest round I guess).  If all of these exclusive figures are part of the July 26th launch (which is probably likely), there's going to be a lot of running around for these things for those who are interested.  I did see a big Clone Wars ad at our local TRU store this weekend, basically saying that it will be "the place to be" to get everything on the 26th - it seems like stores are gearing up.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 7, 2008, 12:16 PM »
I don't mind the idea of an exclusive figure here or there, or even an exclusive vehicle or battle pack, but is it just me or does it seem like the number of exclusives goes up-and-up each year?

I can't possibly imagine there being more product and/or exclusives in 2009, it just doesn't seem possible. Unless Hasbro wants to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the collapse of the line in addition to celebrating the 10th anniversary of Episode 1.

This is exactly why this is the last line I'm collecting from Star Wars.  It's been nothing but more and more product as each year goes by.  It has been a fun ride, but no more for me.  I might have a different mindset if things were like back in the POTJ days, but those days are long gone.

Yeah, Wal-Mart exclusives are usually a pain to find around here too

The majority of the WMs in my area don't even bother with exclusives.....ya filthy bastards!   >:(
« Last Edit: July 7, 2008, 12:50 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #12 on: July 7, 2008, 12:31 PM »
My tolerance is wearing very thin right now with Hasbro and its flood of "new and exclusive" products this year. I will be cutting way, way back on the items I'll be getting this go 'round.

As for the figure, I'm not so keen on the re-assignment of this particular deco to the "501st Legion". The blue flashes were previously attributed to the rank of "lieutenant", now they're captains - WTF? What rank do the red C.O.s hold? Major? Colonel?

::)
« Last Edit: July 8, 2008, 07:59 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 8, 2008, 07:55 PM »
I have to agree with the frustration, but I'm glad to say I learned something really important from ROTS.  Not that I like it, but if I want something, I can and should just wait.  Those insta-sell-through Holo Yodas and Emperors, Lava Vaders, and Target Clones are all practically worthless in 2008, and can be had for under $10 shipped each.  And they were $10 or more in 2005.

I want this Clone, and am fairly confident it will become non-exclusive in the future (as many clones do) or enough fans will buy scores of them and get sick of them down the road.   And like my cockroach ancestors, I'll be waiting.  (Unless I see it at retail, of course, in which case I'll cave immediately.)

I wonder when Hasbro will finally post the list of what exclusives are coming out in three weeks.  I mean, wouldn't it be a good idea to help their promotional partners inform potential customers where to go buy these things?
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 03:34 PM »
According to this info from WM at RS, the 501st Legion Trooper will be available on August 17th.