Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2008  (Read 86166 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: NFL Regular Season 2008
« Reply #240 on: December 11, 2008, 12:20 AM »
Some ****** news for Matt Cassel and the Patriots.

My condolences to the Cassel family, but you have to wonder what this will do to the AFC East with the three way tie.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #241 on: December 11, 2008, 09:19 PM »
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #242 on: December 11, 2008, 09:54 PM »
Owens was on the sidelines Sunday night bitching up a storm after every failed offensive series the Cowboys ran...  He didn't speak to other players, he went right to the o-coordinator.  It was childish, and disgusting to watch.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 11, 2008, 09:56 PM »
The most shocking thing in that article is that Romo's best friend on the team is Bobby Carpenter....that Oxygen thief is taking up a roster spot....

The only thing to be amazed by is that it took this long... as STUPID as receivers have been acting all across the league, I wouldn't mind seeing the forward pass going back to illegal. Give me 60 minutes of the Wishbone or Option....

I will admit that I loves me some TO when he scores a touchdown, but I think I'd be just as happy if it was Roy Williams, Patrick Crayton or Danny Amendola..

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 15, 2008, 09:25 PM »
Wow....last night sure was disappointing.  I don't think the Giants like to do anything the easy way.   ::)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #245 on: December 15, 2008, 10:02 PM »
I think the Ravens kind of got screwed on that TD call at the end of the game. It sure didn't look like Washington (or Homes, I forgot who it was) got in the endzone with possesion.

I'm looking forward to the Panthers grabbing that #1 seed in NY next week. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #246 on: December 15, 2008, 10:34 PM »
Obviously I disagree...  Holmes caught hte ball, he had both feet in the endzone, and he tucked the ball while putting the free arm then down to brace his fall, giving him control.  When he tucked the ball, the goal line camera showed (to me) that the ball was on the line which is breaking the plain...  It was super close, but I believe it was the right call ultimately.  It's one of those things that I think is going to be argued forever though.

Hey, from what I hear Reed got called for Unsportsmanlike after our punter got spit in the face by a Ravens player, and that call went against us when Reed was just tyring to separate the two.  Our punter is 100% pissed today and I didn't even know the guy could speak. :)  Sometimes you get a call, sometimes you don't.  I really feel though that it was a touchdown, but that's me.  The only thing that was close was the ball crossing the plain, and all it has to do is touch it at all, and it did, just like Bettis did the year we won the Super Bowl actually.  That was a big stink too.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #247 on: December 15, 2008, 11:11 PM »
Eh, fact is there wasn't indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field (no TD) so the call never should have been overturned. I don't think the ball ever broke the plane when Holmes had possesion and there wasn't conclusive video evidence showing that it did. In a game that is that close, the right call would have been not overturning the call on the field and bringing up 4th down. Then let the game play out from there. Ultimately the call wasn't the reason for the Steelers win/Ravens loss. It was just one play, they did play 60 minutes of football, not just that one play.

Speaking of upset punters didn't a Raven punter a few years back get into a fight on the field?
"This is the way."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #248 on: December 15, 2008, 11:23 PM »

I'm looking forward to the Panthers grabbing that #1 seed in NY next week. :)
And then the Vikings grabbing the #2 seed the week after that! :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #249 on: December 15, 2008, 11:40 PM »
They're saying today (and I honestly don't know this to be a fact, just repeating what I heard locally) that the NFL ruled it as the "right call" on the field because they watched the video and it's better than you see on TV, and that they saw the ball break the plain...  I honestly don't know if that's true or not, just what I guess the NFL is saying today about it.

We had a weird angle that others didn't have actually, as it was shot by the local NBC affiliate on the field, and it pretty clearly shows the ball break the plain, but that wasn't useable by the officials...  Supposedly though like I said, the NFL claims they had essentially the same shot in HD from another camera and that's what the officials used to make that call.  I dunno.  I tend to believe the NFL will eat a mistake on Monday without shame so I'm not feeling bad about the win at all today.

What they were saying tonight on the one local sports talk show after the 10 o'clock news, was that there's no clear definition that the ball has to break the plain on a pass play, and that's why the official didn't say that at the time during the game.  Basically what I guess they mean is that if you're running it in, by definition, it must break the plain to be a TD, but if it's a pass play the ball is perhaps less a factor than the player being in the endzone and having both feet down and control of the ball before he's down?  I dunno...  Like if they caught it even though their body's out of bounds, but their feet are in the endzone and they have control of the ball even though it's clearly outside the lines of the endzone (if that makes sense).  I don't know if that's the way the rule is interpreted or not though, and really nobody else seems to know that either, and only the NFL can clarify that rule. 

I almost expect this to make a rule change for next season, actually.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 16, 2008, 02:50 AM »
I think it was a bad call to overturn the ruling on the field with the evidence shown.  If cirumstances were different and the call on the field had been touchdown (with the same visual evidence) I would say that the call on the field was correct.

Just going by the "Indesputable evidence" rule when it comes to instant replay.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #251 on: December 16, 2008, 12:21 PM »
True but what we watch is probably "better" for them too...  I can't speak for everyone but I don't have the latest and greatest TV, the ability to zoom, etc.  They do.  So they're seeing more than we probably are too...  That was, according to the local news last night anyway, what the ruling was based upon (a zoomed HD shot that showed the tip of the ball break the plain when it was tucked).

Now like I said, there was a local camera on the sideline that caught it clear as day so I stand by it being the right call simply because we had that benefit of seeing it was the right call, but the NFL didn't have that angle...  They must have had something similar though because they're standing behind the decision this week.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 18, 2008, 10:29 PM »
Nice week to have Rhodes and Clark on my fantasy teams!  Indy is going to win a few people fantasy superbowls this week - nice to see them come back to life even if it had to wait 15 weeks into the season.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #253 on: December 21, 2008, 07:10 PM »
Time to fire Mangini. I hope they lose next week against Miami.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My myspace page
« Reply #254 on: December 21, 2008, 07:22 PM »

garbage :/ well playoffs start next week for my broncos. Chargers/Bronc's for the division. I can't believe we let it come to this. We had this division. How Frustrating.  >:(