Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2008  (Read 86546 times)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Regular Season 2008
« Reply #315 on: January 3, 2009, 07:47 PM »
I'm surprised how many "experts" picked Atlanta to win today. They were only 4-4 on the road this year, and regardless of how good Matt Ryan was all season, he's still a rookie QB in the playoffs. Arizona isn't any good, but they play well at home and their crowd was really fired up. That's always a bonus.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 3, 2009, 09:50 PM »
I'm surprised how many "experts" picked Atlanta to win today. They were only 4-4 on the road this year, and regardless of how good Matt Ryan was all season, he's still a rookie QB in the playoffs. Arizona isn't any good, but they play well at home and their crowd was really fired up. That's always a bonus.

How do you figure that Arizona "isn't any good?"  They aren't the most complete team I've ever seen, but they are one of only 12 teams to make the playoffs, only a few teams have been able to stop their offense (and most of those were meaningless games at the end of the season), and they swept everyone in their division this year.  I'm not going to bet on them, but I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see them win the NFC. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 3, 2009, 11:58 PM »
Someone had to win that division, I guess.  They were 1-4 against the other playoff teams they played against this year, scored one more point than they gave up all season, and of their 9 wins, only 2 came against teams with winning records.  Yeah, they made the playoffs.  They still stink.  What are they going to do if they have to go into Philadelphia or New York and play in the cold weather?  Lose 47-7 again like they did against the Patriots?
It was nice to see them make the playoffs and host a game for the first time in over 60 years, but I don't see them coming out of the NFC.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 4, 2009, 12:10 AM »
Someone had to win that division, I guess.  They were 1-4 against the other playoff teams they played against this year, scored one more point than they gave up all season, and of their 9 wins, only 2 came against teams with winning records.  Yeah, they made the playoffs.  They still stink.  What are they going to do if they have to go into Philadelphia or New York and play in the cold weather?  Lose 47-7 again like they did against the Patriots?
It was nice to see them make the playoffs and host a game for the first time in over 60 years, but I don't see them coming out of the NFC.

Okay, please name another team that has swept their entire division in recent years and I think you'll find the cards in small, but good company.  My team of choice is in the pathetic NFC North and even there it's pretty difficult for any team to dominate the other three.  The Cards beat Miami (another playoff team) and only lost to the Panthers by 4.  As for the New England game, you are aware that they were coming off a major loss and had absolutely nothing to play for in that game, right? 

Philly has had some nice games, but only scored 7 against Baltimore and 3 against the Skins.  The Giants have been awful without Burress, losing games to Dallas, Philly, and the Vikes over the last month.  I don't see either team as being all that scary for the Cardinals.  I guess we'll see what happens next week - I just don't see how you can consider one of the final 8 teams to be "not good." 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 4, 2009, 12:33 AM »
Okay, please name another team that has swept their entire division in recent years and I think you'll find the cards in small, but good company. 

Who gives a **** when the rest of your division is 13-35?  They should win all of those games. 
OK ... calling them "not any good" was probably a bit harsh, but I'm still not convinced that they're going to light up the NFC playoffs. 
Still ... I knew that they were going to beat Atlanta.
 ;)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #320 on: January 4, 2009, 08:07 PM »
Another typical showing by the Vikings. :( They were simply outplayed and outcoached.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 4, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Another typical showing by the Vikings. :( They were simply outplayed and outcoached.

That was not a pretty game to watch.  Some bad early clock management and Jackson was waaaaaaaaaaay off on some of the throws :o  He wasn't completely awful and I don't think I'd blame the game on him, but that botched snap was pretty bloody awful.   :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 4, 2009, 09:22 PM »
The Eagles/Vikings game was bittersweet for me. They're my two favorite teams and sad to see one go right away... if only it was the NFC championship game. The Eagles didn't look too sharp in what I saw (missed the first half at work) until Westbrook's TD. McNabb was getting sacked or stripped quite a bit....

On to the Giants, I hope that the Eagles can maintain their momentum and take the Giants down. A little surprised by the Colts losing, but the Chargers have been looking good, too.

I believe the Vikings can build on what they have. Things seem to be falling into place and hopefully they can keep the team together. I'm not sure about quarterbacks, but I thought Frerotte did a great job (though some of my coworkers disagree)... Jackson seems to do it or doesn't.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 4, 2009, 10:24 PM »
Jackson seems to do it or doesn't.

Is that lack of sleep talking?  What other options are there?   ;)

Tough loss for all the Viking fans out there (Brent, Scott...did I miss anyone else?), but better to end your misery now the perpetuate false hope.  I guess Adrian Peterson and company can join A-Rodge watching the games from the armchair next week. 

On a bright note, I'm playing the NFL playoff challenge and Adrian Peterson kicked butt for me this week.  My team was almost all top scorers at their positions - the only let down I had was picking B. Berrian instead of someone like A. Gonzales.   :P

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 5, 2009, 08:42 AM »
What in the world are anyone who thinks Tavaris Jackson is a NFL QB wathcing. The guy absolutely can't run a pro team. Why don't the Vikings front office and Childress not see that? He can't throw the ball.

If you were watching the game with someone who never had seen football and had one sentence to say the QB is the guy who...... wouldn't you say who THROWS the ball? He can't. There was zero chance he was going to bring the Vikings down the field for 2 scores in the 4th quarter.

Your down that much with 2 minutes left and all you do is throw 3 yard passes because your "QB" can't throw the ******* ball. There are so many NFL QBs like that nowadays. I don't get it. I can't stand it. I don't want a fake RB as my QB.

And now because he played mediocre in the last few games as opposed to horrendous in the first two game he will be our QB next year and buy the time the idiots finally catch on that he sucks the rest of our team won't be around. I'm so pissed right now.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 5, 2009, 10:27 AM »
So, Nick, would you keep Frerotte over Jackson then when Gus' back gets better? I've heard Vikings fans praise Tavaris, but Frerotte was the one who turned the team around and got them where they did.

Jackson seems to do it or doesn't.

Is that lack of sleep talking?  What other options are there?   ;)

Yes, lack of sleep could be the answer with a one-month newborn. But I guess what I meant to say is, he's either on or off, there is no happy medium.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 5, 2009, 11:09 AM »

Drop Jackson and by all means fire that MORON Childress!
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #327 on: January 5, 2009, 02:45 PM »
I did not see too many Vikings games this year, but I can't believe how bad Childress is with clock management.  I have a similar gripe with the Giants at times, but they are freaking clock management experts compared to Childress!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 5, 2009, 02:55 PM »
Considering how bad Denny Green was back in 1998 with the game on the line with Atlanta for the NFC Championship, I would rather have Denny Green over Childress any day of the week. Hell I would take Mike Tice over Childress. Ziggy needs to drop Childress and grab Shanahan while he can.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 5, 2009, 03:07 PM »
So, Nick, would you keep Frerotte over Jackson then when Gus' back gets better? I've heard Vikings fans praise Tavaris, but Frerotte was the one who turned the team around and got them where they did.

They absolutely should have started Gus instead of Tavaris once his back was ok. You HAVE to be able to throw the ball down field. I'm certainly not saying Gus is a great choice but at least he is an ACTUAL QB. What the Vikes really need to do is go out and get a young real QB. Who I don't know. But if they had seen what I saw the first time I watched TJack play they could have already gotten someone else.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within