Author Topic: Legacy Wave 10 - A New Hope  (Read 75298 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Wave 10 - A New Hope (Fall 2009)
« Reply #195 on: October 19, 2009, 11:34 AM »
It looks like this wave is currently in stock over at HTS (shipping in 8-10 days), if anyone is interested.  I saw the entire wave, minus the Jawa - which is still listed as "coming soon".  I have an order from BBTS on the way today, but I ordered a few extras (like the Scanning Crew) from HTS since the retail situation with Legacy has been pretty poor around here.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #196 on: October 21, 2009, 06:49 PM »
BBTS has sent me my ship notification that my full case of this wave and x3 Scanner Troopers are shipping. They currently have full cases and some singles in stock if anyone is interested.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 22, 2009, 03:15 AM »
Hoping this wave hits soon ... but have that Force-tingle sense that it'll be a peg-warming wave, with the exception of battle-worn Ki-Adi Mundi and maaaybe the Stormtrooper disguise Han Solo.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #198 on: October 22, 2009, 03:21 AM »
Seriously?  The Scanner Tech a pegwarmer?  I'm guessing he'll be the better selling figure of the wave, ultimately...  Hasbro seems to agree since he has the variant repacked and all.  That's one people have been waiting on.  He's the Hoth Rebel Trooper of his wave.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 22, 2009, 04:28 AM »
I don't think the Scanning Trooper has the coolness factor of something like the Spacetrooper.  When it boils down to it, he's a guy in a grey jumpsuit with a big blue box.  It's got fanboy appeal, but not much beyond that.

What the Scanning Trooper has in it's favor is the shortpacking strategy Hasbro is taking with the Legacy Collection.  Almost every case assortment I've seen lists every figure at 1 per case.  But that could also be a problem with some of the fringe character choices.

That being said, I think it's a great figure.  But does it have mass appeal?  That remains to be seen.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 22, 2009, 10:33 AM »
The scanning trooper has sold out quickly on line. I was even going to order some from hasbro, but he was the first to go.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #201 on: October 22, 2009, 11:26 AM »
I bought three extra from BBTS when I preordered back in august and I was only able to order 3, I would have bought a few more. I do agree this wave overall is pretty weak in terms of choices but there are a lot of kid friendly figures. While I am happy to add them all to my collection they do not have that killer wave feeling, this was my least anticipated wave for this year. The pink bubble head broad will be worse than Yarna. (As Nick pointed out thankfully the smaller case ratios will limit the damage). She is pink, no kid will want to go near her, she will be the #1 dud of the wave and repack Padme in the #2 spot. The rest are not really pegwarmers when you take a step back:

1x Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight
1x Boba Fett
1x Commander Deviss
1x Padme Amidala
1x R2-D2 with Restraining Bolt and Jawa Stun Net
1x Han Solo (Stormtrooper Armor Parts)
1x Chewbacca with headset
1x Imperial Scanning Crew Technician
1x Jawa with security droid
1x Cantina Denizen Kal Fas
1x Cantina Denizen Leesub Sirin
1x Concept Art Series Ki-Adi-Mundi
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #202 on: October 22, 2009, 03:51 PM »
The scanning trooper has sold out quickly on line. I was even going to order some from hasbro, but he was the first to go.

That's a good point for early returns on him Anton, and I'd go a step further that Hasbro's repacking him, and have said army builders tend to do well like main characters.  The Spacetrooper is a bonafied pegwarmer in my area, but he's still sold tremendously well up to this point.  I think the Scanner tech has similar appeal.  I think he's more collector-targeted, but so is the Hoth Rebel Trooper...  The HRT has done phenomenally well by all accounts it seems, and I expect the Scanner Tech to be similar.  The army building appeal is fairly vast, especially when the figure's high quality itself.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 22, 2009, 04:20 PM »
That's a good point for early returns on him Anton, and I'd go a step further that Hasbro's repacking him, and have said army builders tend to do well like main characters.  The Spacetrooper is a bonafied pegwarmer in my area, but he's still sold tremendously well up to this point.  I think the Scanner tech has similar appeal.  I think he's more collector-targeted, but so is the Hoth Rebel Trooper...  The HRT has done phenomenally well by all accounts it seems, and I expect the Scanner Tech to be similar.  The army building appeal is fairly vast, especially when the figure's high quality itself.

If they want more army building going on, they need to get prices back down to $6.00 or so.  I'm not buying 12 of something at nearly $9.00 each.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 22, 2009, 09:59 PM »
The price argument is a significant consideration with the army building folks.  For me though, the army building phenomenon hit it's peak when we started to see dozens of Clone Trooper repaints back in about 2006/07.  It just seemed like army builder overload.

My point is that I think we're all eagerly anticipating the Scanning Trooper.  But will it make that jump from fanboy appeal to mass appeal?  That's a consideration that I believe gets glossed over far too often in almost every Star Wars collecting forum.  Will it be an eye-catching enough figure to get mom's & dad's to buy one for little Timmy?  I think those people who outnumber us all vastly will opt more often for the Han Solo, Chewbacca and R2-D2 in this wave.  The Space Trooper made that leap because it was in essence a Stormtrooper.  It's got that iconic Star Wars look.  I still don't see many of them around compared with the TLC BLUE pegwarmers.  And the TLC RED ones have been selling through, too.

As for me?  I'm likely to buy perhaps 6 of each running change of the Scanning Crew.  Because this figure would work not just as a scanning crewman, but as a Star Destroyer bridge tech.  At least it's got that versatility going for it.

My overriding concern with discussion about this wave?  Where are the previous waves?  I could count on one hand the number of stores where I've seen TLC RED basic figures so far.  Clone Wars and Saga Legends in the red packaging are everywhere.  But the Legacy Collection's lack of presence at brick and mortar retail is cause for a lot of concern.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #205 on: October 22, 2009, 11:12 PM »
Got my shipping notice from EE on these today.

I've just opened my ROTJ figs.  This is very reminescent of '07, when we got waves every week it seemed.  On one hand, it's great - new figures are never boring - but on the other, it makes it hard to appreciate any of it. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #206 on: October 23, 2009, 03:07 AM »
In Scanner Techie news, I got one today in the mail...  And it's quite spectacular.  Short of a removable cap, there's really not a thing wrong with it that I can see.  He's a nice average size.  Very detailed sculpting and a lot of paint detailing work.

The patches on the shoulder are a tad goofy in how they protrude, but that doesn't bother me really.

It's the ideal figure for this outfit, finally.  I'd actually be quite happy to see it down the road with the hat redecoed grey, and the hair a different color or some such. 

I also think it'd be an interesting base to see a TIE Fighter Pilot with removable armor/helmet and such.  It'd need a new head and Baron Fel's helmet/chest protector.  New lower arms/wrists too, to be technical, or those from the new TIE Pilot at least.  It's a pretty slick looking figure for sure though.  Very nice sculpting in the wrinkles of the suit...  A lot of depth to it.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 23, 2009, 10:13 AM »

If he didn't have appeal, that'd be great for me since I'm planning on taking out a second mortgage to pick up a bunch.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #208 on: October 27, 2009, 09:37 AM »
My figures shipped this morning from HTS...should be here Friday!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #209 on: October 27, 2009, 09:40 AM »
My figures shipped this morning from HTS...should be here Friday!

Mine too  8)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird