Author Topic: Episode 3 running time...  (Read 6217 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Episode 3 running time...
« on: July 2, 2003, 04:43 PM »
As mentioned by dustrho right here...

Rick McCallum basically said they're planning on EP3 to be the shortest of the previous two movies.

All I have to say is that this is absolute CRAP!  I've been ranting for quite a while about both of the prior Star Wars prequels not being long enough as it is, and now this?!?  Ridiculous.  With the blockbusters nowadays often running for a solid 2.5 - 3+ hours long, I think this is an absolute rip-off by Uncle George.  McCallum had already mentioned over at the Official Site not long ago that Ep. 3 would fall into the 2.25 hour time frame like all the rest - nothing more, so I already knew I was going to be fairly disappointed.  But for it to be the shortest of them all, when there's so much to cover, characters to develop, so many questions to answer and loose ends to tie up for the entire Saga...  That's just pathetic!   >:(

Hopefully once they really get into the filming of Episode 3, which started just last week I think, they'll realize they're going to have to step up to the plate and pack in some more time to make the movie and Saga flow (and end) better and just to be a better movie.

Here's a link to one of my prior rants on the matter over at RS after the AOTC release...
AOTC running time... I feel a bit cheated!!!

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 3 running time...
« Reply #1 on: July 2, 2003, 04:57 PM »
This might be a good thing. Considering how much suck was crammed into the first two prequels, maybe they're finally trimming the fat.

I always felt Episode I was two hours too long. It could have been a five-minute prologue ala The Hobbit in The Fellowship of the Ring. "See Anakin. See Anakin fly. Fly, Anakin, fly! See Anakin become a Jedi! Anakin, meet Padme." Seriously, unless Episode III is one twisted pretzel, most of what happened in Episode I will end up being nothing but eye candy, if that.

Wanting a three-hour finale is one thing. George actually paying for it is another. And don't get me started on his inability to hold my interest through yet another painfully dull love scene. (Popcorn, anyone?)
Post sober.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: July 3, 2003, 12:24 PM »
Wanting a three-hour finale is one thing. George actually paying for it is another.

George not being able to afford it?  He's one of the richest S-O-B's in this country.  If money was an issue I'd be happy to be $15-20 to see it in theaters, instead of the $9 they charge now.
dustrho

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 3, 2003, 12:56 PM »
If it's a wonderful 2 hours then it will be fine with me.  We'll see if it really is just 2 hours long.  How could they really know?  I mean they just started filming this movie.  

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 3, 2003, 01:38 PM »
I think the movie can easily be accomplished in 2 hours.  

If they leave off the romantic drivel.  How long did AOTC really need to be?  Hack out all that ridiculous cardboard acting in the love scenes and you save what?  30-45 minutes?

If Lucas stops already with the cutesy fartsy crap.  Hello?  Jar-Jar?  You Ewok lovers spawned his desire to include this crap.  The Endor stuff was fine, but do you now see what it encouraged?  Meesa annoyed.  

2 hours with much slayage of Jedi, minimal interaction between Padme and Anakin and the world is a happy place, accomplished in 2 hours.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 3, 2003, 02:44 PM »
George not being able to afford it?  He's one of the richest S-O-B's in this country.

Being able to afford it and actually paying for it are two different things. Hell, if Lucas was ONLY financing the prequels, I'm sure everyone would be happier. You could actually hire talent instead of a crew of Yes Men.

Besides, Lucas is pretty frugal about his spending. He's rich, but he wants to stay that way.

...they just started filming this movie.  

Not "filming," image capturing. George Lucas has finally taken the "film" out of filmmaking.  ;)
Post sober.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 5, 2003, 09:43 PM »
If it is shorter then 2 hours I'm going to be mad.  I didn't mind the love scenes in Ep2 and Ep1 I still liked and thought it was needed (but not the stuipid farting jokes).  Reasons why I say that about Ep1 I feel you need to see Anakin as a innocent person and not a evil twisted person (you need to see the good in him that Luke feels at the end of ROTJ) and we get to see the Republic before the Dark Times (just before, since the Naboo Blockade basically starts everything rolling).  While you could do this in a five minute prolouge it would not be Lucas' style in doing things (just like flashbacks).  

Hopefully they decide to make it as  long as 2.25 hours or more since it is the last one (supposely).  THere is so much we need to see in this movie, Anakin/Vader, Birth of the Emprie, Forming of the ALliance, Jedi purge and the Empire causing serting things to show how evil there are.   If they don't I guess its good for those who read EU since EU writers would have a lot of stuff to write about.  

Once Lucas dies and if I have money I would buy the rights to the Star Wars story and remake the whole PT but since I will never have that money hopefully someone who has money could, that would be kind of cool.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 7, 2003, 09:22 AM »
While you could do this in a five minute prolouge it would not be Lucas' style in doing things (just like flashbacks).

Rumors have been running around since the production of Episode II that George was shooting scenes for insertion into the third episode as well as the DVD version of the OT. I'd actually be disappointed if we DIDN'T see flashbacks that tie up a couple loose ends.

THere is so much we need to see in this movie, Anakin/Vader, Birth of the Emprie, Forming of the ALliance, Jedi purge and the Empire causing serting things to show how evil there are.

Keep in mind we've already seen the birth of the Empire in Episode IV, and it all took place in three lines of dialogue:

INT. DEATH STAR - CONFERENCE ROOM

TARKIN: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us.  I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.

As much as fans might want or expect to see certain events unfold in Episode III, keep in mind that such events are incidental to the story of Anakin Skywalker. This should be HIS show, not some historical drama. The fall of the Jedi could take place offscreen in fifteen seconds. I fully expect the formation of the rebel alliance to take place at the end of the film with Bail Organa saying something like, "This isn't over, Palpatine." Such events can be alluded to briefly without going into unneccesary detail.

Once Lucas dies and if I have money I would buy the rights to the Star Wars story and remake the whole PT but since I will never have that money hopefully someone who has money could, that would be kind of cool.

I would SOOOO much like to be a part of remaking the entire Saga. If you ever hit the Powerball Jackpot, PM me and I'll start writing.  ;D
Post sober.

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
    • View Profile
    • Son of Bob.homestead.com
« Reply #8 on: July 8, 2003, 05:05 PM »
If they don't I guess its good for those who read EU since EU writers would have a lot of stuff to write about.  

That's probably his idea too!  Lucas needs more spaces and blank spots in the plot so that his family can get royalties off the Star Wars books until his kids are grandparents!  Oh well, if he covers the whole story, we won't have any good SW books to read...
Stressed out?  Poop.  It'll make you feel better.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2003, 12:06 AM »
Oh well, if he covers the whole story, we won't have any good SW books to read...

But I can't read!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2003, 12:41 AM »
But I can't read!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, duh...   ;)
dustrho

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 2, 2003, 09:43 PM »
I don't know how long that EP III is going to be.  I'm hoping that it runs at least two hours...  My main concern is the quality of the film.  Let's face it,  this is scheduled to be the very last SW film and I hope that they send it off with a real big BANG!  Something that we can always remember,  kinda like the OT...  

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 3, 2003, 07:09 PM »

I would SOOOO much like to be a part of remaking the entire Saga.

Why rewrite the reason we are all here? Im not trying to flame, but, why change what is good. I didnt like certain parts of the Prequal Sequals, but, It doesnt make me want to change it.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 4, 2003, 03:17 PM »
...why change what is good.

You could ask Lucas the same question about the Special Editions.

I didn't like a LOT of the Saga. For myself, Star Wars started falling apart right after TESB hit theatres. That was the last good Star Wars movie if only because Lucas was still a nobody who had to prove the first film wasn't a fluke. He surrounded himself by talented people who WEREN'T afraid to speak their mind.

Star Wars at its best is a collaboration of creativity. Lucas lost sight of that when he started work on ROTJ and began remaking his own movies rather than seeking help from others. His "repeating themes" mantra is just an excuse for a dry well of good ideas. His ego has gotten in the way of good storytelling.

Not to go off on a rant, but Lucas claims that everything he puts on screen is there to further the story, otherwise it gets cut. If that were truly the case, The Phantom Menace WOULD have been a five-minute prologue. Unless Qui-Gon shows up in Episode III to do something more wonderful than a lame voiceover, his role in Episode I is pretty much filler material.

I hate to judge a work before it's even completed, but based on what I've seen so far, Lucas has done an exemplary job of taking a once venerable franchise and flushing it down the toilet. If it weren't for the Star Wars logo in the movie, no one would care about this story.

This Wonderful World of George that brings us together deserves better, and I think someone else can do just that. And yes, even me.
Post sober.

Offline urban fox

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 4, 2003, 04:08 PM »
MisterPl, I have to wonder why someone so enraged and hateful of the last two movies takes the time to vist and talk on a chatroom.  Methinks you're a bigger fan of the last films than you let one, why else would you be here!

Sure they could have been better, ep1 a lot, lot better but you still loved them and you'll watch Ep3 at least a couple of times.
He can't muck this one up! just kill'em all in a really cool way!