Author Topic: Would You Like to See Direct to DVD Star Wars Animated Movies?  (Read 3025 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
This is something I was just thinking about today when going through some old bookmarks and coming across the "Tales of the Old Republic" fan-made stuff we saw a few years ago.  I've personally been enjoying a lot of DC Comics' direct to DVD animated movies, and I was wondering if that is a route Star Wars could go.  They really have some nice animation showing up not only on TV but in video games, etc., and could probably put out some nice movies.  This would allow them to do something like say, The Thrawn Trilogy, or even something set in the Old Republic era for fans of that.  I would think they could sell just as well as the Marvel and DC movies that are put out now, or maybe even better.  Anyways, it may just be me still hoping for an OT-era animated series (similar to Clone Wars), but it might be something they could look into.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Would You Like to See Direct to DVD Star Wars Animated Movies?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 04:26 PM »
I think it might be an interesting way to continue the Saga.  Just look at the "Deceived" trailer for The Old Republic.  Sure, it's a trailer and will not accurately reflect the gameplay.  But if Lucasfilm Animation can offer up films of that quality once every couple of years, I would be very interested.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 07:28 PM »
Interesting idea.  I would definitely like to see something in the KOTOR era rather than something closer to the movies.  Something that doesn't involve the main characters would be pretty cool.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 08:01 PM »
A faithful recreation of the Thrawn Trilogy would be amazing...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 03:23 AM »
I'd accept stuff from many different eras, actually.  I'd probably like less from the OT, unless they did stuff based on Rogue Squad?  That might be very cool... 

Likewise I would like to see some Clone Commando stories fleshed out in 3D animation as a little movie or some such.  KOTOR again is a good era to go to as well.

I don't know what I'd think about anything OT era that involved main characters though.  If it was stuff expanding the war though, I'd be all for it I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 03:09 PM »
I love the Rogue Squadron idea... the novels were very good, and I bet we could even have Wedge do his own voice.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 04:36 PM »
I think "fighter" action, and actual "Star Wars" would be nice to see more of.  The CW works great as a series so I think direct to DVD movies of various side-EU stuff would compliment it well.  That's why Rogue Squad came to mind immediatley.  I mean, imagine just the adventures of Wedge getting animated?  Some of the best stuff, but equally violent/interesting for adults...  Fighters and Imperials and Rebels and greatness.

KOTOR is cool too but it's obscure for kids.  WOuld kids connect with the key elements like Lightsabers, Jedi, Sith, etc.?  I think it's possible but less recognizeable due to the timeframe.  I'd like to see it for me, but kids have to be interested too, I believe.

I'd like to see movies focused on CLONES too.  Less Jedi, or a secondary Jedi, or a completely new made-up Jedi, and have the Clones be the focus.  Clone Commandoes and ARC Troopers would be great places to start this idea if it's CW focused too.  Commandoes especially have my interest, and kids would know the era, etc.  Add in some random Jedi, and man that would rock.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77