Author Topic: The Pirates of the Carribean Thread  (Read 22445 times)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: The Pirates of the Carribean Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2007, 09:06 PM »
I saw this today. Eh. The nine pirates sitting at the table were cool, Id like a set of figures for them!

I didnt get most of it. The first one is still the best of the three. And I was also disappointed in the Kraken loss. The whole Calypso or however you spell it thing was also pretty lame and unenjoyable. So was the wedding/swordfight. It must have sucked to be one of the ugly Flying Dutchman crew that were killed at the wedding, how lame is that! I also didnt like the introduction of Sao Feng and crew, the movie couldve done without it and it wouldve been a little less confusing without them.

Overall, it wasnt all too bad but I was too distracted by the many dumb and lame parts to call it a good movie.

RIP Davy Jones and Kraken.  :'(
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2007, 11:38 AM »
Saw this finally and wasn't impressed.  I knew after the second one that this one would be pretty cheesy, and it definitely was.  It had its moments with some enjoyable scenes, but for the most part it was over the top.

:P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #122 on: December 9, 2007, 11:16 PM »
Anyone rent this now that it is out on DVD?  I did...not too impressed.  Like a lot of others have said in the past, there was just way way too much crap happening in this movie and none of really making a whole hell of a lot of sense.  The whole Calypso plot was lame.  The fights like Bill said were so unreal that they were lame.  The sound editing was HORRIBLE.  I couldn't understand what the **** the people were saying through the entire thing.  I'm glad I didn't waste any time at the theater seeing this.  When POTC4 comes out...I won't even be renting it

Offline tonphanan

• Jedi Initiate
  • " Has anyone seen my wits?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2007, 01:15 AM »
Saw POTC3 today. I was hoping for a good ending but like most have stated it was not a good story.
The first is the best by far. As far as I'm concerned the last two do not exist. The first one ended pretty much without NEEDING the other two. The whole attack of the 50ft woman thing could not have been any lamer. Talk about trying to make a movie just to get our money.

I watched it on my computer so I was hoping the sound problem was beacuse of that. It sounds like that is not the case.
Throw an Ewok at him

Offline tonphanan

• Jedi Initiate
  • " Has anyone seen my wits?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2007, 10:50 PM »
Watched POTC3 again but this time on a big screen instead of on the computer. Sound was not bad this time around. All in all I take back dismissing the last 2 movies. There are just parts in them that make you want to say WTF.
Throw an Ewok at him

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 12, 2009, 10:09 PM »
It looks like Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides was announced by none other than Johnny Depp himself (in Capt. Jack get up) at the D23 expo - hitting summer 2011.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2009, 02:48 AM »
I'm not sure how excited I am about this - these movies started out amazing and have just gotten way too complex to be enjoyable.  I think they're just trying to do too much.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2009, 08:23 AM »
Yeah, I sort of feel the same way.  I've liked each one less and less.  I loved the first one, the second one is ok, and although we have the third one on DVD (as a gift a couple years ago) I don't know that we've ever watched it (saw it in the theater though).  Like you said, just too much going on (and too long).

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2009, 11:52 AM »
I have minimal interest in a POTC movie. The weird fantasy elements of the movies made them rather odd, as I enjoy stories like old Errol Flynn movies much more. If Geoffry Rush is in it, I might see it if I'm bored but I'm sure I'll have a more productive way to spend 2+ hours.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2009, 07:33 PM »
Blah...Let it go.  I enjoyed the first, but lost interest with the sequels.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2009, 12:34 AM »
THe series went downhill with each film...  I like to give the benefit of the doubt, and Sparrow's been a great character in all 3 films, so I'll go see it probably.  The 3rd was worse than the other two by far though, and I just don't know why.  Maybe they painted themselves into a corner and went with lameness to get out?  I don't know.  It just wasn't near as good as the first two films...  And the first one is fantastic on its own. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2009, 01:23 AM »
I loved the first film.  It was kind of a surprise at the time.  I agree with Jesse, though.  Each film after that seemed to go down hill and I really disliked the third film and how they handled the Will Turner character.

I haven't read any more than the announcement for the new title.  I'm assuming no Orlando Bloom or Keira Knightley this time around?  Honestly, as much as I would look forward to seeing Knightley in more corsets, I think they could probably do a better film if they cut loose some of the previous characters and made it a Jack Sparrow adventure.

This would be one time where I think there's a possiblity another sequel could save the franchise for me.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2009, 04:07 PM »
I loved the first and the second was pretty good, but after the third I was like WTF??  It completely lost me and parts of it were just mind blowingly weird.  I have hopes for the next one that it will be at least on par with the second film.

So are we thinking we won't see Bloom and Knightley in this one?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2009, 04:36 PM »
I'm hearing this movie will be based on the Tim Powers book, "On Stranger Tides". This one sounds like a prequal where Jack gets into piratery and meets Blackbeard on the way to finding the Fountain of Youth.

World Fantasy Award–winner Powers (Three Days to Never) demonstrates a precise control of complex narratives in this reprint of his rollicking and enchanting 1987 novel. Puppeteer John Chandagnac, bound for Jamaica to recover stolen money from his uncle, becomes Jack Shandy Sparrow after pirates attack his ship and force him to join their crew. Shandy's Sparrow's  struggle to accept his new life grounds the story for readers, even as Blackbeard and vodun magicians whisk everyone away to dreamlike lands where the Fountain of Youth itself awaits. The chaotic sea battles sing, though at times key events happen so quickly that they get lost in the shuffle as Jack tries to comprehend where he's going and what's at stake. This dark fantasy tale will appeal not just to pirate fans but also to anyone who appreciates Powers's talent for blending the most unlikely elements into a brilliantly cohesive whole.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours