Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread  (Read 68312 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2010, 08:08 PM »
I actually enjoyed this episode more than I initially thought I would as well, and I liked the character of Master Sinube too.  Like it was mentioned, nice Easter Egg with the Tonnika Sister (mentioned on the Official Site's write up as well...specifically Brea Tonnika).  Like it has been said though, the good stuff looks like it is on the way next week.  I've enjoyed the season quite a bit overall, but I've really been looking forward to the appearances of the Mandalorians (and hopefully, eventually the Bossk/bounty hunter stuff).  Looking forward to next week.

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2010, 09:35 PM »
I enjoyed the episode and glad to see others did as well.  Master Sinube was cool and it was good to see an episode that moved more slowly and which shed more light onto the daily lives of both the Jedi, the common citizens, and the criminal underworld.  There were lots of cool little details in the episode that I liked such as the aforementioned Tonnika sister, the train, and even the Chancellor Palpatine propaganda sign.  The episode seemed to have some elements influenced by scenes from Attack of the Cones, particularly all the chases through the Coruscant cityscape.  My favorite scene, just for laughs, was when Ashoka and Master Sinube commandeered the bike and went polking along while holding up the busy traffic lanes - typical old person driving :P
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2010, 10:39 AM »
A short clip is up for this week's episode, really looking forward to it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2010, 11:33 PM »
I finally got to watch this episode Sunday night, and after seeing people's thoughts before I watched it, I actually liked it.  Maybe I was setting myself up for some disappointment, but as a sort of one-off episode, I really enjoyed it a lot.

I felt that the ancient Jedi, which looked kind of like Yakface for some reason (is that to be the same species?  I couldn't tell), was pretty well played out.  I liked his old-fart driving through coruscant, but that all his patience played out as a major point of the story, then at the end he's got a friggin' sweet saber.  Sure he's old, but he'd probably make one of the more interesting characters as a figure IMO.

I thought Ahsoka's chases with the girl that had the thick thighs were really well done, very suspenseful...  Seeing the commentary on SW.com, I'm glad they covered what Palpatine was saying as I was actually 100% interested in hearing it.  Knowing now that it's a subtle attempt to build upon things we then finally see in ROTS is really great.  That's quality work by the creative team working on Clone Wars I think.

I liked how it all came down to two freakish chick aliens and things.  I still didn't totally understand WHY they did what they did, but I thought it worked well to get us to the point where Ahsoka's found her saber and now needs to get it back.

I liked seeing the scummy side of Coruscant, the coughing (and probably drunk) alien in a stooper on the street, and things...

I know it's a budget issue but it's funny seeing that apparantly the underworld of Coruscant is covered in Twi'Leks, Weequay, Rodians, the odd Ithorian or Aqualish, the one fish guy that stole the thing, and then that's about it...  Oh, of course till you get to the apartment and then there's 2 new aliens (both very cool) that must've eaten up the alien budget this week, and then Gha Nacht appears to have a twin lying there croaked. :P

Creating new characters digitally's part of the cost, so I kid the Clone Wars team, but I still find it funny that Coruscant's got a pretty sparse variety of aliens wandering the streets. :)

As a customizer, I really liked seeing the Speeders and things.  I felt there was some good inspiration there, and among the aliens wandering around. 

The fishy chick was fantastic.  Sideways eyelids?  You gotta love that.

This is one of my more favored Season 2 episodes so far...  Nothing's compared to Landing at Point Rain yet though.  That's just exquisite Clone-Warring to me.  The upcoming Mandalore stuff though, that's an interesting direction to go for the series...  Mandalore and its place in the galaxy?  I'm game for this completely. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 29, 2010, 06:08 PM »
Yeah, I enjoyed Lost Lightsaber for all of the things you mentioned above.  I really liked the old Jedi quite a bit and hope they make a nice figure out of him eventually.  I am definately looking forward to the Mandalorian Warriors and how they portray them.  I also liked the fact that Cassie was not a Dark Jedi, Dathomir Witch, Bounty Hunter, Sidious's daughter, or Count Dooku's, mistress, etc.  Just a bratty crime kid.  Although I guess they could make her into any of those things. 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 29, 2010, 07:21 PM »
I'm terrible with SW names, but that "old Jedi" reminded me of one of those things in The Dark Crystal.

Mandos are on deck tonight - hope I have some time left on my tape that has 5 hours of 24 on there.   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2010, 09:18 PM »
Skeksis
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm not just a member, I'm also the owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2010, 11:52 AM »
Well, I can now see why Karen Traviss didn't bother with another Commando book with this new view of the Mando's...... ::)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2010, 06:35 PM »
I think last night's episode was extremely underwhelming.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2010, 08:27 PM »
I hated that black lightsaber.  I can't believe Lucas actually approved that thing.  Talk about screaming EU.  Even if it was like a thousand years old or something.

I like the idea of "third parties" to the Clone Wars, resisting both Jedi and the Seps, so its kinda too bad the Mandalores will just be another force for the Seps after all.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2010, 09:54 PM »
I don't know if its just because I read about Karen Traviss's vision of Mandalorian culture first, but I'm not enjoying the Clone Wars version.  Of the two the Clone Wars feels more wonky and less authentic.
I am not the Stig

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2010, 10:20 AM »
I don't know if its just because I read about Karen Traviss's vision of Mandalorian culture first, but I'm not enjoying the Clone Wars version.  Of the two the Clone Wars feels more wonky and less authentic.

I think you hit right on why I didn't really like these Mandos.

And I thought that black lightsaber thing was going to be a Beskar sword from the metal they mine, not some weird ass lightsaber
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #162 on: February 1, 2010, 01:24 AM »
I didn't mind this week's episode, but last week's was better.  That says a lot when the Mando-whoring was rolled out and it was bested by a one-off that was heavy on Ahsoka. :)

I liked the Mando's and I've read some (working on the others) of the Rep Commando novels.  I'm sure they'll find some half-assed way to cram it all together in some fashion, as only LFL seems capable of doing, but I thought these guys were ok I guess...  I found it a little strange with how the Mando's are trying to abandon their warrior past and things, but whatever.

I liked Mandalore's cities, and the environments of the episode in general.  I thought the characters were all pretty neat too, but it was an episode very heavy in introduction to characters and places, that's for sure. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 1, 2010, 10:46 AM »
I enjoyed the episode quite a bit, but I have to admit that I've never read any of the Karen Traviss stuff (or any other EU source of Mandalore stuff), so I didn't have that working against it.  It was nice to see Obi-Wan featured again, as it doesn't always seem like he gets a ton of solo episodes (at least so far).  I agree, Mandalore itself was pretty nifty...and I know I'll be picking up the figs of those warriors/Pre Vizla/etc. if/when they are released.  This is another example of where it is too bad Hasbro doesn't have enough lead time to have some of these out on the pegs near the episodes airing time.  I suppose it is a bit hard to coordinate that, but I'm sure kids (and collectors) would like that.  See the "cool" new character of the week, and be able to pick it up shortly later (instead of during the next season, as happened with Cad Bane, etc.)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 4, 2010, 05:26 PM »
I'd just like to say that one episode of this animated series is usually better than any of the first two prequels...combined.