Author Topic: NHL 2009 - 2010  (Read 33337 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2009 - 2010
« Reply #60 on: February 1, 2010, 03:15 PM »
So did Calgary give up then?  If they are throwing in the towel and Dale's Oilers are well, I'll be nice and say "struggling", that may make things a bit easier for my squad to sneak into that #8 seed.  :)

Just say the Oliers suck ass, I won't get mad. No really, I won't. They f-u-c-k-i-n-g suck ass! They really do!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: February 1, 2010, 03:19 PM »
The Phaneuf trade surprised me though.  I acknowledge he's having an off year but he still rates pretty highly as a defenseman IMO and he's remarkably young to give up on I'd think.

Yeah, that was a surprise. Like you said, he's still young.  Ah well, I won't miss him when the Flames come to town.

I like Giguere as a goalie, but he's getting long in the tooth so I'd only think of him as a short term investment.

Well, I thought they signed some flashy euro-goaile to be the future so I guess Giguere just have to get them through until he's ready to play every day. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 1, 2010, 03:42 PM »
Yeah, the Swede kid from the World Championship team last year is the future apparently so I guess Giggy is just to get them through to him and to mentor him perhaps. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: February 1, 2010, 09:25 PM »

Miller's Olympic goalie's mask...  That's a crazy paintjob.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 2, 2010, 12:15 PM »
When I was at Twin's Fest (it's a big card show/ getting ready for the start of the baseball season) at the Metrodome they had a booth where a custom paint company was set up and they had a goalie mask with a Cloen Trooper helmet on one side and a Stormtrooper helmet on the other side.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 2, 2010, 12:28 PM »
Hey, check this out... the Oilers won the game last night.  ::)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #66 on: February 2, 2010, 01:33 PM »
So, the Flames traded Jokinen yesterday?  I guess that pretty much confirms they've given up at this point...  makes me wonder how safe Iginla is now.  Trading him would have to be a season ticket killer for them I think.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 2, 2010, 02:16 PM »
Tough call on Iginla's impact locally.  I know some Calgary fans that want him gone now while they can still get something in return.  I've heard suggestions that Phaneuf had some sort of locker room rift going on so that's why he's out.  I think Iggy goes, maybe not this season, but before the start of next season.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: February 5, 2010, 02:32 PM »
Re: Oilers - haha! :)

ps. Havlat-Latendress-Brodziak might be our "#2" line in name, but they sure play like they want to be #1.  Latendress is my new Wild-crush.  ;D

Oh, and Kovalchuk to the Devils:o  Nothing like the rich getting richer there.  I'm guessing Lemaire is just fine with the way things worked out last summer between him and the new Wild management.   :P

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 5, 2010, 09:49 PM »
Kovalchuk passed on $100 million to stay in Atlanta - he must really have wanted out of there.  I can't blame him though, after years of missing the playoffs, I'm sure he's ready to do something more with his career.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 5, 2010, 10:09 PM »
Kovalchuk passed on $100 million to stay in Atlanta - he must really have wanted out of there.  I can't blame him though, after years of missing the playoffs, I'm sure he's ready to do something more with his career.

I don't think he really wanted out of Atlanta.  I think he wanted out of a team that might not be in Atlanta for that long.  I don't really know what's going to happen with the teams like Atlanta, Phoenix and other not so successful southern NHL franchises and I'm far too bitter as a Jets fan to believe they'll make their way back to Canadian cities.  But I'm guessing Kovy didn't like the uncertainty as much as anything else.  Atlanta could have become Winnipeg or Quebec City or Oklahoma or some other equally unpalatable center (Hamilton?).  I think he probably wants a shot at winning a cup and a little more options at the end of the year in choosing where he ends up on a long term deal.  $100 million over 12 years in Atlanta/Hamilton or $85 million to play in Pittsburgh/Detroit/New Jersey?  I'll go with the stability and shot at a cup over the extra 15 million.   

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 6, 2010, 12:31 AM »
The instability of the team wasn't something I had considered.  That's certainly a good point.

I'd like to think that any player would pass on $$ in order to be on a team that has a chance to actually do something in the playoffs.  Besides, what the hell's the difference between $85 and $100 million anyway?  Those numbers are so ridiculously huge they don't even mean anything to me.

I'm working on getting a contract worth $85 million, but it's not going well.  ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: February 7, 2010, 07:46 PM »
That's because I undercut you.  I accepted for $85.

I doubt Pittsburgh can afford him, as nice as it'd be.  NJ's maybe not his style of play, even with their recent move to the contrary.  I don't know.

There's always Philly, Caps and Rangers looking to make themselves better too, though Washington probably has cap issues like we do I'd guess.  Maybe LA is in the hunt as well? 
« Last Edit: February 7, 2010, 07:47 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2010, 10:28 AM »
I can't believe how well the Phx Coyotes are doing this season.  Man Gretzky must have been a crappy coach.  They got rid of him and all of sudden they are 3rd in the Western Conference?  Crazy.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2010, 06:35 PM »
I don't think he really wanted out of Atlanta.  I think he wanted out of a team that might not be in Atlanta for that long. 

March 4th announcement perhaps.  Somewhere that used to have a team perhaps.  I wonder where that might be.  :o