Author Topic: NHL 2009 - 2010  (Read 33654 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2009 - 2010
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2010, 12:05 PM »
A hot goaltender doesn't make the Caps a bad team.  It's happened tons of times historically. 

Didn't say they were a bad team. And I'm not only using this postseason as my sample. I'm a huge Ovechkin fan. But in my mind the best players make their team win when they should.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2010, 03:25 PM »
Crosby also has better back up than Ovi did.

Wow, really that down on the Caps already Ed?  Like I said man, welcome to 1993...  We got dumped by an 8 seed that year too, and had a vastly more dominant team than really anyone in the league that year.  It was sickening, but we still were a great team and should've won but just didn't.

The Caps have maybe the most depth of any NHL team right now for scoring though, even the locals said it, and all the locals felt the Caps were the team to go through in the playoffs this year (myself included), so I wouldn't dump on them so bad...  They lost a series.  If anything I think I saw coaching errors more than player errors.  I don't know the shots-attempted stat, but if the Caps had adjusted their game instead of trying the same stuff I think they could've won it regardless of Halak's play.

The Caps aren't well liked here so nobody was shedding any tears locally, but that doesn't take away from them as a team I think.  They floundered in a series, but how many teams would take at least 50% of them if they had a chance, ya know?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2010, 07:08 AM »
Crosby also has better back up than Ovi did.

Wow, really that down on the Caps already Ed?  Like I said man, welcome to 1993...  We got dumped by an 8 seed that year too, and had a vastly more dominant team than really anyone in the league that year.  It was sickening, but we still were a great team and should've won but just didn't.

The Caps have maybe the most depth of any NHL team right now for scoring though, even the locals said it, and all the locals felt the Caps were the team to go through in the playoffs this year (myself included), so I wouldn't dump on them so bad...  They lost a series.  If anything I think I saw coaching errors more than player errors.  I don't know the shots-attempted stat, but if the Caps had adjusted their game instead of trying the same stuff I think they could've won it regardless of Halak's play.

The Caps aren't well liked here so nobody was shedding any tears locally, but that doesn't take away from them as a team I think.  They floundered in a series, but how many teams would take at least 50% of them if they had a chance, ya know?

The whole problem is that they had a 3-1 lead, and were putting a ton of shots on net, but most of the shots were garbage.  Also quite a bit sad they would limit the shots by the Habs, but they still were able to score.  The Caps had a great season, but completely blew it in the playoffs.  Heck, they had a 2-0 series lead last year on the Pens and did not even show up for game 7 at home.  The Caps only lost 5 non OT games at home this year and went 1-3 against the 8th seed.  It is just extremely tiring to see DC sports teams fail in this manner.  It is easy to get used to the failures of the other major sports teams in DC because they have consistently failed in the past 10+ years, but the Caps were supposed to be one of our bright spots and they just couldn't get it done.

Game 7 did certainly have player errors, namely Green.  Stupid crosscheck penalty lead to the first goal, and he completely missed a check on a guy for the second goal.

Offline STARKILLER

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 4, 2010, 08:00 PM »
all i can say is LET'S GO PENS!!!! ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2010, 10:43 PM »
Damn pesky Canadiens  :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2010, 11:22 PM »
Could always root for the pens ya know.  :p  that's ok tho ill believe for all of us.  ;D. Unfortunately our d is spotty which was my fear from the getgo.  Pens have scored enough to win and d breakdowns have let the habs play their game.  Couple it with halak n a great d collapsing n boxing out and here we are at a game seven. 

Let's go Pens!  They hav to play great to beat a great team like they are facing.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 11, 2010, 10:36 AM »
Interesting vote in Glendale, AZ tonight.  The rollercoaster for the Coyotes continues down there with the presumed buyer backing out earlier in the week and now Ice Edge holdings demanding concessions from Glendale public funds.  The Council votes tonight and the rumor is that if they decline to support the team the team will move. 

Where will it move?  I'm not convinced that the Coyotes will go to Winnipeg, mostly because I think the Thrashers are the more likely team to come here.  I'm just not convinced any announcement will be made this week though as I think it more likely to wait until after the Cup is awarded. 

That aside, some good games coming up.  Halak = Roy = Dryden?  Doubtful. 

Vancouver-Chicago game should be really quite nasty tonight I'd think.  I can see the Canucks winning this one.  And did the Bruins finally wake up and run out of steam? 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2010, 12:57 PM »
You guys should read this page.  I just came across it for the first time today and I think the guy has a really good imagination:

Last week I was informed that not only has Winnipeg been included in the 2010-11 NHL schedule, but we are to be in the NW division while Colorado moves into the Pacific division. This would make our rivals, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and Minnesota. Believe me, it is surreal actually typing this, not as fantasy but as a reality.

Ugh, what a horrid division. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2010, 01:17 PM »
I've read a few other places that were saying sort of the same thing, that two teams are moving and everything is in place for it to happen...  if it happens:

- Nashville moves to Southeast to take the place of Atlanta, which moves to Winnipeg
- Winnipeg moves to Northwest, bumping Colorado
- Colorado moves to Pacific to replace Phoenix, which moves to Kansas City
- Kansas City takes Nashville's spot in the Central

IMO, it's all crazy speculation, but it's always fun to play "what if" games with re-alignment and things...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2010, 01:23 PM »
I'd agree, it's all crazy speculation at this point.  Even Yahoo sports writers are on the topic.  I remain hopeful, but I could see the team going to another American market first given there could be a quiet but ready buyer out there for Kansas City for example. 

Would like to see this image again though with the reverse announcement being made though:

BTW, local sentiment is about 75% of people in favor of the team returning, 25% opposed.  The other interesting aspect is that the Manitoba Moose, our AHL affiliate hasn't made any announcements of where it's playing next year which is rather odd.  Fun times. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2010, 06:45 PM »
I'm hopeful for you Brent, plus for the sport I think another Canadian market's a good thing...  I've read basically the same stuff locally, but it's not been getting as much press because it's a pretty much western-focused thing so it just isn't getting the scrutiny here.

I saw some of that online though like Jeff was mentioning...  That's confusing stuff, but Atlanta's really got no base for hockey at all, even compared with Phoenix.  I can totally see them up and leaving.

I still don't think KC can support a team though, I'm sorry.  I just don't see it.  Nice building, but no real fanbase.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Ow  :-X

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2010, 11:19 PM »
Yeah, I was reading about that another day...  Uhm, yeah. 

I took a puck to the nutz one day.

I have also had kidney stones since I was 18.

To this day they're the only two things that ever put me down.  The stones hurt so bad I was vomiting, an immediate high fever and my poor mother who was going to give me a ride into school was in a panic because she couldn't lug me to the car to take me to the hospital and thought I may have been dying.

The puck...  I was able to limp off, tell everyone to get off the bench so I could lay down, and I lay there for some time.  I went back in during the third period, but holy **** was that an intense pain.  Obviously no "rupture" that day (which that word + testicle really scares any man I would think), but holy **** did it hurt.

That's just insanely painful to hear, much less feel, so I really hope he's ok.  He skated pre-game but I wasn't sure if he played or not.  ???

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2010, 11:39 PM »
How's this for vague?  ::)  Call me when the schedule comes out and tell me if we're on it or not. 

Oh and are the Hawks trying to give away the game?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2010, 11:45 PM »
Or not.   :-[