Author Topic: G.I. Joe Toys Thread  (Read 104449 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #540 on: September 17, 2009, 09:40 PM »
Are you talking about the SRO sets with the green Sgt. Stone and the "Speed Metal" guy in the accelerator suit?  I want one of those...

I guess so - haven't really pay too much attention to them, but they're the new Joe/Cobra ROC versions so should be.  Want me to snag you one?

I think those are two different things.  The Sgt. Stone set is a 3-pk with two other Joes, and there's a matching Cobra set with Destro and a couple Vipers.  It's a similar fashion to the sets they had last year that had Cutter included in a set with some divers.  I've seen these and they are $14.99 each.

The 5-pk comes with the following:

- Duke (new/kit bash)
- Ripcord (new/kitbash)
- Joe Trooper (Zartan repaint w/ hat)
- Neyo Viper x 2 (one is a commander or something)
- Mole Pod

And it's $24.99 - heck of a price really, though I passed on it too.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #541 on: September 17, 2009, 10:12 PM »
Pretty sure we're talking about the same newer ROC TRU SRO sets - minus my poor grammer.  $14.99 seems right.

3 ROC joes - speed metal or whatever and blah blah
3 ROC cobras - Destro and blah blah

5pack - a different beast, but a big box of suck.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #542 on: September 18, 2009, 07:31 PM »

NEWEST HASBRO QnA.

> 1.  With all of the retail options these days, what is the best place to
> spend my Joe budget to ensure the continued success of the line?  Is it
> Brick and Mortar?  On-line shops?  Hasbrotoyshop.com?  Where do you get
> the
> best feedback to determine if the line is a success.

Hasbro can see sales results from all our retail channels.  Thus, it does
not matter where an item is purchased since we are able to see it - thanks
very much for continuing to support the brand!

>
> 2.  The previews of the coming items from SDCC and the Joe Convention have
> many of our readers eagerly awaiting the next several months.  With the
> "Pursuit of Cobra" theme, will there be changes in the look to cobra
> troopers or will the current Vipers with the skull/zombie helmet be the
> starting point for all incarnations of Cobra Troopers?

The current Vipers are the starting point for future Vipers based on the
movie line.

>
> 3.  I did not see where anyone asked this at the convention, so if it is a
> repeat I apologize for the redundancy, are there any plans for more GI Joe
> Resolute animation or was that one time opportunity?  Are there plans to
> release it to DVD/Blu-Ray or even iTunes?  My sob story here is that I
> recently moved and the show was saved on my DVR and I had to return it to
> the cable company.

The Resolute DVD release is planned for this fall.  We are working on what
the next generation of G.I. Joe entertainment will be, but we are not
ready to share at this time.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #543 on: September 20, 2009, 12:36 AM »
Whatever new cartoon they are working on it will be kid based and somewhat more movie related. They are not going to spend money on us old farts developing a new cartoon for their new channel. They need to gear it towards kids so it will be related to the movie as that's what this generation knows.

Hopefully they will do another Resolute web mini series for us.......
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #544 on: September 20, 2009, 06:46 PM »
Whatever new cartoon they are working on it will be kid based and somewhat more movie related. They are not going to spend money on us old farts developing a new cartoon for their new channel. They need to gear it towards kids so it will be related to the movie as that's what this generation knows.

Good point, but IMO - retail has sold through whatever ROC product they have and this seems like a deadend for ROC type stuff and I'm sure the new animated show will be what drives toy sales..  Resolute would be great, but maybe it will be a happy medium.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #545 on: September 20, 2009, 11:29 PM »
Snagged a Paris Pursuit Baroness...outstanding figure.  I saw those new SRO three packs and passed.  Grunt looked sort of cool, but the other two were lame.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #546 on: September 21, 2009, 01:17 PM »
I just sold about my entire collection of 25th anniversary figures to a local collector.  Looking at them, the quality sucks compared to the ROC stuff.  Most can't even hold a gun in their hands. 

Glad to be rid of them really, and I have a feeling the ROC stuff will go next as the guy I sold these too wanted them as well. 

It's going to take a lot for me to resist parting with those too.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #547 on: September 22, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Outside of the "can't hold my own weapon" on some figs, I'm still happy with the 25th stuff even though it lead me to collect vintage - which I didn't intend on doing, but hey...good times.  I wouldn't bat an eye to let go of what little ROC stuff I have.

Any product moving out there?  WM's and Targets are packed to the gills with ROC stuff in my neck of the woods.  Just PACKED.  TRU sold through a ton of stuff as their pegs are pretty bare, but it doesn't seem like this line has the legs that Hasbro claimed it would have unless I'm missing something here.  

How long did the Indy line last before it got axed?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 11:30 AM by iFett »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #548 on: September 22, 2009, 11:38 PM »
Nothing is moving here, at all. Which is disappointing, as I have yet to see the Arctic Snake Eyes wave. I don't know why the retailers order so much. They have to have figured out the audience for GI Joe by now.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #549 on: September 23, 2009, 02:35 AM »
It looks like the GI Joe figures at Target are moving but they're only moving one or two at a time at this point and Target seems to have some in back that they pop out there as needed.  It's not moving anywhere close to what it was like when the film was first hitting.

Not sure if the DVD will give it a bump around Christmas, but if not, that could be a problem for the line.  Getting anything beyond the first wave or two that shipped with the film opening could also be an issue locally.

Now, I was at a TRU a little over a week ago and saw a guy buying probably 15 - 20 Joe figures all in one shot.  People are buying them, I think there's just a glut of those first waves.  Not surprising since Hasbro did that last year with Star Wars and Indy both.

It's unfortunate there's so much of the first waves out there that it's stagnating because they really are some nice toys.  

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #550 on: September 23, 2009, 04:05 AM »
I think movies are big for one push of a toy line, but I'm convinced after CW3D that a routine TV show is the key to longevity for most boy's toys...  Look at Power Rangers.  Star Wars and GI Joe have the benefit of both having healthy collector-interest.  It's a matter of can they support the line in the lean times.  I think the answer is yes, if the line's lean along with it.

A Resolute Toon I think would really do the line wonders if it were a routine thing like Clone Wars is...  That's my opinion anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #551 on: September 23, 2009, 10:53 AM »
Yeah, I think you are right on there Jesse.  Having an ongoing cartoon certainly is the way to go these days it seems, and I think that would help Joe a lot.  I'm with you in that I'd love to see a regular Resolute toon, although I'm sort of guessing the next "ongoing" Joe cartoon we see would be a little bit lighter fare than that (perhaps in line with Clone Wars or something).  I know there are talks now that Hasbro has that new TV channel coming up that there could be something in the pipeline, so we'll see.  I really think Star Wars is a unique beast where the toyline can survive on movies that are 30+ years old (and got a big boost with the prequels - ROTS in particular).  Other properties can't seem to maintain that unless there is ongoing animation (or comics) to help support it.  I'm wondering if we'll see the ROC stuff (as well as Star Trek) on clearance post-holidays.  Heck, the Star Trek stuff is already on clearance at our local Target.

As far as the movie figures go, they sure seem to just be sitting here as well.  I have to admit, I don't really look at them very closely anymore, but the pegs still seem to be jammed full - particularly at WM and Target.  TRU here is also a little better, and I've actually seen some of the newer stuff there (Arctic Snake Eyes, Paris Pursuit Baroness, etc.) - but I suspect the fact that they've had a few of the "2 for $10" sales has helped that a lot.  Opinions of the movie aside, it really is too bad that the line isn't doing better - it really is a pretty nice and well done line overall.

Getting back to the 25th line talk, although I can see the frustrations with holding weapons and all that, I don't know that I could ever get rid of my collection of those figures.  Much like Star Wars, I have probably 2-3 times as many Joes now than I did as a kid (which is probably a little sad), but that 25th line really had the nostalgia factor working for it with me.  The packaging, the style of the figures all just brought me back to that toyline, comic and cartoon.  I hope we see more in the future, but if we don't, it was a pretty nice run overall and I'm glad I have the ones that I do.

Offline starwarsgeek

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • StarWarsGeek.net
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #552 on: September 23, 2009, 09:20 PM »
Quick question... how did a Star Wars website get added to the Hasbro GI Joe Q&A in the first place?

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #553 on: September 23, 2009, 10:43 PM »
Paul and Jesse like GI Joe. They asked Hasbro if they could submit questions.  Since the Joe Q&A isn't as crowded as the SW Q&A (and it's basically free marketing), Hasbro said OK.

The End.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #554 on: September 23, 2009, 11:17 PM »
I loved the 25th line.  I have a handful of the ROC guys, and might pick up one or two others, but I'm really not that interested in the movie style.

I am interested, however, in having Hasbro sneak out what are essentially 25th Anniversary style updates on figures like Monkeywrench, who are being released in the movie line.  

If the 25th stuff is really dead, I'm a little bummed we didn't get a wider release of Alpine, plus updates of Sci Fi, Airtight, Lowlight, and a few others, but other than that, I'm happy with what did come out.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 12:32 AM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."