Author Topic: G.I. Joe Pursuit of Cobra (POC)  (Read 91948 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe Pursuit of Cobra (POC)
« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2011, 01:43 AM »
My Wave 4 figures came today from Small Joes.  Only opened Low-Light and Skydive so far.  Skydive is actually an excellent figure and I really like him.  So far I have some mixed feelings on Low-Light but I'll post more on that later.

I'm going to open Shadow Tracker then it's going to be bed time.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 30, 2011, 02:43 PM »
Okay, I've had time now to open Destro and look over all four figures in this wave again.  I'm looking at them from two angles, the first is if they're good toys and the second if they hit the mark as collectibles.  The second is less important to me, but unfortunately where two of them fall.

Low-Light
I was most looking forward to Low-Light and Shadow Tracker.  I've been wanting them since seeing them at the GI Joe con last year.  Low-Light is the one I'm most disappointed in for a couple of reasons.  The first being the fragility of the accessories.  He's an example of what can be accomplished at this scale, with the level of detail and the amount of accessories, but now that it's been proven that it can be done, it doesn't necessarily mean it should. 

The rifle is nice, but the collapsible stock is fragile and trying to pose the figure with it extended puts pressure on it that I’m afraid will cause it to break if I’m not careful with it.  Same with the scope.  The tiny pegs worry me whether it’s putting the scope on the gun or on the holster on his leg.  One wrong move and it’s broken and worthless.  The radio set is the same way, especialy the antenna.  It’s tiny and since it’s a separate piece, I’m thinking that short of storing it in a box, I’m either going to lose the antenna or break it.  To a lesser extent, the spotter scope is the same, with the legs being something I’m afraid I’m going to snap if I’m not extremely careful with it.

Just taking the accessories out of the package I had a momentary lapse and nearly broke the barrel off the UZI.  I was able to bend it back but it’s weakened now and will probably come apart eventually.  The gun case is nice and I like the fact that you can use it as both a backpack or a case.  It was kind of a bitch to get open and, again, I was worried about breaking a tab or something.  The backpack is a decent piece, though, and it’s nice that you can put a couple of the accessories in it.  That’s actually one of the best pieces of the set. 

Overall, Lowlight looks great and he does have some good articulation, but I’m so paranoid about breaking or loosing accessories that I don’t feel that he makes a good toy.  I think to make him really playable, I’d replace some of his equipment with Marauder’s stuff and store his accessories away so that they don’t get lost or damaged.  So while I was most looking forward to Low-Light, ultimately I’m the most disappointed in him.

Shadow Tracker
Shadow Tracker was my second most anticipated figure and he fares better than Low-Light, in my opinion.  My major gripe with him is the amount of accessories he comes with and the complete lack of his ability to carry most of them.  While other figures in the line have working holsters and sheaths, Tracker has only one working sheath and then a hole in his leg for another bayonet.  Why not cut down on the number of accessories and spend that money on a sheath or two?  The other major issue is his hair.  The arrow backpack is actually a decent piece but unless you cut his hair, you can’t put that on him.  I don’t want to buy a toy and the first thing out of the package I have to do to it is cut it up with an X-acto knife.  And I think even if I do that, the hair is still going to get in the way of the backpack.  I may have to look at some photos online to see what others did.

As a toy, though, he fare better than Low-Light.  His accessories aren’t really as fragile and except for the fact that he can’t carry most of them, they work well.  Even the net trap has some possibilities.  He could have easily been better with one leg sheath instead of a hole for a knife and maybe change up his vest so that there was a better way to attach some accessories.  The only other issue I have with him is the lack of ankle articulation.  If they’d sculpted the pants just a little different it would have been greatly improved.

Still, I like Shadow Tracker and I think with the right selection of his accessories, he makes an excellent enemy for the new Spirit figure.

Skydive
I liked Skydive just because of the ridiculous accessories.  Seeing him all together in person, he’s a really cool looking figure.  All of the accessories fit well on the figure and the winged backpack, while kind of weird, works well and looks cool as ****.  Under all the skydiving accessories, Skydive also makes for a decent looking commando figure.  Drop him behind enemy lines, drop his gear and he’s ready to go.  Most of the money on this figure is in the backpack and harness accessories so I can’t blame Hasbro for not giving him more than a pistol, but I think pulling a rifle from another figure and including it with him would add some playability. 

While I thought Skydive looked cool, I wasn’t really in a hurry to get him.  Now, though, he’s one of the top two figures of this wave for me.  The other being Shadow Tracker.

Destro
I was really disappointed to find out that Destro didn’t come with the Aliens style steady-gun but the gatling gun he does come with is pretty cool, although I don’t care for the ammo belt just kind of hanging out into space.  There’s no backpack or anything to attach it to so it’s kind of odd.  The steady-gun part of the rig seems to work okay, but it takes a little doing to get it into a position that looks like it should work as intended.

This is one of the better looking Destro figs, IMO.  He’s huge and looks mean as ****.  The armor pieces work well and the integrated holster works for the pistol that’s included.  I think he’d look equally good with a big grenade launcher or something.  I like the paint scheme even.  It just all works.  Oh, and the brief case of money?  Excellent!  That’s just a cool accessory for a weapons dealer.  It’s a nice touch.  I’m hoping that the rumored Iron Grenadiers that BBTS posted the other day are real and that they complement this version of Destro in some way.  It would be cool to surround the boss with some equally badass looking henchmen.  Of the four figures, I like Destro about equally as well as Shadow Tracker but do think that he makes a somewhat better toy than ST because all his accessories seem to work well.

I’m still glad to have the Low-Light figure and maybe as I spend more time with him my opinion will change.  The figure itself is fine, I found most of the faults with the accessories.  It just feels like kind of a letdown for a figure that I’ve been waiting almost a year for. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 30, 2011, 03:10 PM »
Great review efranks! I definitely feel the same way about Lowlight. His accessories are troublesome. I was in awe when I first opened the figure, and thought the accessories were the best things since sliced bread. But now, after having it for a couple of weeks, I feel that some parts either don't fit together well (scope on the rifle), will get lost too easily (bullet and antennae) or might break with just light posing of the figure (bipod and stock.) I'll probably pick up another Lowlight when the revisions hit, hopefully the accessories will be a bit more durable. At the very least, I can treat them with more care right from opening the toy.

The other three figures are damn-near perfect though. I don't mind the lack of storage options on Shadow Tracker, as I've been switching his inventory based on his "missions." Plus I don't think he would need more than a couple of weapons at any given time.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 31, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Looks inspired by the show but will not be exactly like the animation.  They are saying the figs will fit with the current line. 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 2, 2011, 02:20 PM »
BBTS has preorders up for the next two waves....No pics yet though (other than the Jungle BAT that Ben posted back)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 3, 2011, 12:11 AM »
I'm interested in seeing the army builders from wave 6 the most.  Viper and Iron Grenadier.  I may also be interested in the Cobra figure but we'll see what they do with it.  The Shock Trooper really could be the base for generic blue shirts and, if so, I'd be in for a few.  Otherwise I'll save my cash for more ST and the W6 stuff.

E...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #201 on: February 3, 2011, 12:26 PM »
I'm not too crazy about all these army builders in one wave. But I guess I'll deal with it. Can't wait to see Crazy Legs and Steel Brigade.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 5, 2011, 04:12 PM »
My wave 4 arrived yesterday and I found a new Snake Eyes and two Shock Troopers today, so I'm stocked up.

eFranks is right on.  When i first opened Low Light, I thought, "Aw, these accessories aren't so bad," and then I dropped the bullet and spent the next half hour combing the carpet looking for it.

It's a pretty petty gripe, though, to have too many accessories with too much detail.  The figures are phenomenal, and for my money, I'd say the POC line is the best thing going, action figure wise.  The detail, accessories, and articulation are unbelievable. 

Low Light and Shadow Tracker have a bit of Recondo neck going on, as well.  But again, that's just me being bitchy.  All of these figures are incredible.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 8, 2011, 12:36 PM »
I agree, pretty much all of POC line rocks... the figure quality is outstanding and I've noticed the hips don't get all wobbly like the 25th style figure.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 21, 2011, 11:54 AM »
I picked up Low Light this weekend at a local Wal-Mart, and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed at the level of detail that went into his accessories.  I think it's a great aspect of most of the POC figures that they can carry all their gear either in their packs or on their bodies.  Little things like the ability to have LL either carry his gun satchel, wear it on his back with the backpack, or wear the backpack with the satchel attached to the side make this line the best value, IMO, in the action figure aisle today. 

Is there some weird revision case that doesn't include Shadow Tracker and/or the new Destro?  All this WM had was LL and Skydive (also a neat figure, btw), along with several Cobra Shock Troopers, Duke, and Commando SE from the previous wave that hadn't been there a day earlier.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 21, 2011, 02:48 PM »
There's a wave 4 revision case without Shadow Tracker and Destro.  It has 2x Cobra Commander,, Snake Eyes and Cobra Shock Trooper along with 1 each on Alley Viper, SS, Jungle Viper, Duke, Skydive and Low-Light.

I'm actually hoping to find that because I'd love another shot at some Shock Troopers.

E...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #206 on: February 21, 2011, 05:04 PM »
I maybe saw remnants of this at WM last night, plus are POC figures down to $7 for anyone else?  Was that a price drop at WM or the same?  I thought they were $7.97 and now they're $6.97 -ish at mine.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 21, 2011, 06:13 PM »
They had been in the $6.97/$6.99 range but Target bumped them to $7.99 recently.  I think my Walmart is still under $7, at least it was last time in I was in which was one day last week.  I was planning on stopping at Walmart after work tomorrow and if new cases of POC have been hitting, I'll gladly buy, especially if I can score a couple more Shock Troopers.

E...

Offline NightVyper

• Youngling
  • KAboom!
    • View Profile
    • adamgracia.com
« Reply #208 on: February 21, 2011, 08:55 PM »
the shock trooper are really great. i got eight so far and it is not enough.
Left Blank For Symbolism.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 8, 2011, 10:33 AM »
G.I. JOE Wave 6 12-Pack  - Coming soon at HTS

LOL at Crazy Legs' pose for his packaged figure.

edit with an update:

G.I. JOE Wave 5 12-Pack - Coming Soon at HTS

perhaps we are getting 2 waves at the same time...

even more updates!!!   :P    both of them now up for pre-order with an expected shipping date............    5/23!?!?!?!?    :o
that is a long ways off to have something pre-ordered from HTS.  this may be the longest advanced pre-order I have seen from HTS.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2011, 01:12 PM by shmashwitdaclub »