Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 5  (Read 87884 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: "Vintage" Collection Wave 5 (2011 Wave 1)
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2011, 04:21 PM »
Went to WM to get spiral notebooks just now and ended up finding Wave 5. Pics coming later tonight.

Only snagged Luke and Yoda. Luke is much better in person, they trimmed his "skirt" really low. Headsculpt kinda stinks, I'd swap it with the Resurgence Luke but the skin tones are different.

Utapau Clone suffers from the same yellow helmet issue the ROTS Clone does... the helmet was already yellow.

Stormtrooper looks worse than ever in person.

EDIT: They all scanned normally, $7.96. This is in College Station, TX for what its worth.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:22 PM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2011, 11:33 PM »
Went to WM to get spiral notebooks just now and ended up finding Wave 5. Pics coming later tonight.

Only snagged Luke and Yoda. Luke is much better in person, they trimmed his "skirt" really low.

How's Yoda? Is it worth the delay?
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2011, 12:20 AM »
Eh, it's alright... as you can see by the pic he has swivel elbows. Kind of disappointing but it's honestly the best PT Yoda we've ever gotten. The accessories are really cool, they molded the lightning thing so that you can stick it on Yoda's left hand. Still would rather have an accurate OT Yoda though.

Only opened Yoda since he's the only "new" figure. I also snagged ROTJ Luke, which as you can see does not have the changed cardback. Other random things to note: NO Fett stickers or redemption forms. Back of the cards only show Wave 5 figures, nothing new. Let me know if you want more pics/descriptions of anything.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 4 - AotC
« Reply #198 on: January 19, 2011, 12:06 PM »
I'm more concerned about my wallet. Two waves hitting at once? Ouch.

I'm not. Wave 5 is rather blah, so I'll be skipping most of that.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 19, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Wow, Hasbro did a great job putting ball-jointed elbows on the 2nd TCW Yoda release, I don't see why they couldn't do it here. Especially since TVC is about getting the final try right. I guess we'll just have to wait another few years... ::)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:26 PM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #200 on: January 19, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Yoda's a neater looking figure than I thought he'd be.  I really figured we'd get little or no update to him, so I'm actually pleased.  I'll pick one up I believe.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Yeah I'm skipping a lot of Wave 5 too...  I am really on the fence with Luke, Han's a total pass, I'm on the fence with justifying R5-D4 (I keep thinking, "Well I'll just give one of them to Porkins"), The Stormtrooper I probably want more for the gun than the figure, I don't really care about Gree and the Utapau Clone's already reportedly got yellowing going on...  Yoda coming out as a winner?  Yeesh.  He's neat enough but I'm hardly giddy about him.

Wave 4 though, I want all of them and multiples of Zam, Anakin, and the Senate Guard. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2011, 09:50 PM »
Yeah, Wave 5 sucks.  A complete half ass attempt if I've ever seen one.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #203 on: January 21, 2011, 08:19 PM »
Jayson...just looking at your pics and I agree that Luke is definitely alright

http://www.yakface.com/TGuide2004/html/TVC/basicfigures/VC39.html

And its nice they used Resurgance Luke (at least half of him)...I'll probably pick him up.  Although his hair could have used a paint wash to look a little more realistic

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2011, 11:43 PM »
That hair color's going to bug me, however I'm already contemplating how I could hack up a Flashback LUke's belt to replace the Stormie belt...  Resurgence Lukes aren't common so hacking one of him up isn't an option, plus I like the softgoods skirt personally.

I agree on a wash on his tunic.  Something pretty darn subtle though, as if you notice on the cardback photo, there should be a distinction that's more defined, between the belt and the tunic.  The Luke is growing on me though for sure.  I'll get one, and deal with the hair I guess.  It's definitely not the right color though.  Resurgence is still completely superior and it's mind-boggling they didn't just re-use that figure completely aside from the skirt/belt.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #205 on: January 22, 2011, 12:13 AM »
Not that I think it was intentional at all on Hasbro's part, but looking at the two side by side, you could make the case for getting a brown hair and yellow hair ANH Luke
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2011, 12:18 AM »
You mean a vintage homage?  I'm sorta bummed if that actually were the case, as I never liked Luke's almost neon hair, but I thought similarly...  That it was intentional possibly.  It looks like there's some wash to the hair, but not much.  Not enough for me to dig it as-is anyway.   :-\

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2011, 01:55 AM »
I think this Luke would have been an A for me if they'd just painted his face a bit, might have helped offset the hair a bit more as well. For a guy living in a desert with two suns, he sure is pale. Still loads better than the 30AC farmboy Luke though, which has been my farmboy Luke for some time now. Looking forward to picking it up. The rest of the wave? Meh.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 22, 2011, 10:11 AM »
This Death Star escape Luke looks a bit shorter than resurgence Luke, the way he stands give him apparently less than 6 heads tall. I still prefere the 25 th potj mini diorama version with Leia on the bridge.

The r5d4 only corrected the first stripe on chest, from grey to blue.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:18 PM by EpicGon »

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #209 on: January 23, 2011, 11:39 PM »
I cannot believe they sculpted a new head for this Luke when the Resurgence is so much better and in demand. I just compared the two figures and they are indeed different head sculpts. So they wasted tooling on a head that was not needed at all taking a step back but they could not make a new torso for Han??? I would love to ask Hasbro why they felt the need to make another head for Farmboy Luke but no Han's torso. The tooling money would be the same for the part so they cannot spin this. They even tooled a fitted Medal for Han so what gives on that?

I made some mods to the DS Han and the Luke from this wave with the old pop/swap to perfect the figures. For Han I used the belt and put it on the new "Ceremony Han". Since all of the DS Han shirt paint jobs were horrible it made sense. For Luke I switched out the head, hands and legs from the Resurgence pack with the new Luke. The skin tone matches perfectly on mine. Here is a pic of both of my mods, sorry for the flash.

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/