Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 5  (Read 88385 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: "Vintage" Collection Wave 5 (2011 Wave 1)
« Reply #210 on: January 25, 2011, 10:52 AM »
I don't know about that Yoda. To me it looks like every other prequal Yoda we've ever gotten. He reminds me of Arnold from Different Strokes.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #211 on: January 25, 2011, 11:06 AM »
I don't know about that Yoda. To me it looks like every other prequal Yoda we've ever gotten. He reminds me of Arnold from Different Strokes.

He is actually a really nice figure. Do not let the swivel elbows fool you. I put the Target Geo Yoda cloak on him and he looks great! The cloak he came with is OT style and dirty. I also gave him the EP2 Metal Lightsaber with the small handle. All of the Yoda sabers are too think for him to hold.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2011, 12:08 PM »
Perhaps the stormie wolud be teh most intersting figure, if they have updated the paintjob (after seeing rebelscum preview): the stomach area of the armor lacks the buttons painted black or gray, the helmet is from tlc death star escape Han, and the head is from tac stormtrooper. With his two weapons could serve as army builder.

Very small details like the buttons of both side of the jaws in the helmet, painted better (silver with black and not only a black dot) could have made this figure a hit.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Actually, the new stormtrooper is a kit bash of the TAC Stormtrooper (belt, arms, torso, head & helmet) and TVC Sandtrooper (legs, hips, mid-section).

L to R: TAC Stormtrooper / TVC Sandtrooper / TVC Stormtrooper
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:41 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2011, 02:05 PM »
You are better off army building the Sandtrooper as he looks the best of the 3 above. Remove the gear and you have a perfect Stormttrooper. You can even help the pegs clear out. Good eye on the grey circle on the stomach, I did not notice it before.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #215 on: January 27, 2011, 02:37 PM »
You are better off army building the Sandtrooper as he looks the best of the 3 above. Remove the gear and you have a perfect Stormttrooper. You can even help the pegs clear out. Good eye on the grey circle on the stomach, I did not notice it before.

The only thing about army building the Sandtrooper is the lack of the detonator on the belt.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 27, 2011, 02:47 PM »
Thanks guys for your responses

this is a frequent issue on Hasbro about sandtroopers

they rarely spot the black collar of their neck, cause the pauldron closes the articulation at head level
they seldom have working holster

Only tac anh tin multipack spotted both, but lacked the flesh paint application on human neck.

Conclusion: Its desirable the tac anh tin sandtrooper on a repack for tvc, with the above corrections (perhaps they still resist to paint the grey dots on stomach area, but will be closer to perfection).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 02:51 PM by EpicGon »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2011, 03:47 PM »
I love the Vinty Sandtrooper for some reason.  He mixes up the other hundreds of troops I have, so I dig having the variety around.  Plus you get the unique rifle, which is always a plus, and the option of having a trooper with his field gear on or off.  The hip articulation is a bonus.

I didn't care for the 30AC Trooper a lot because the lower legs were often misshapen or one was short, and the helmet obviously isn't as nice, however I still wound up with a number of it in my collection too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2011, 03:58 PM »
I didn't get a single one of the TAC Stormtrooper because of that awful helmet... and I can't figure out why they'd use that piece of crap on this new vintage Stormies... what a joke.  The Spacetrooper helmet from TAC is available and better, why not use that??

Also, I don't know about you guys, but on the Sandtroopers in my area (I've looked at hundreds), almost all of them have either a choppy looking belt or some yellowing on the thighs.  For that reason alone, I haven't bought any until the past couple weeks, when they started shipping in newer assortments and the armor on these is more pristine white, and the belts are better (though still weird looking). 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2011, 11:32 PM »
The yellowing on the thighs I notice a lot...  The belt seemed to have some mold issue because the pack-in with the Dewback was basically the same.  I can live with that.  It doesn't look horrible and can be trimmed off if it's that bad, though I haven't done any modding.

I put a Sandtrooper down tonight because, while I wanted another one, the yellow thighs bugged me and I didn't feel like spending the cash.

I'd have dug seeing the Spacetrooper used for the "kitbash" of the two figures, and maybe even see the head get either a repaint to some degree, or something to make it look like another generic trooper underneath.

Of course a new generic head all together under the helmet would've been even nicer. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 28, 2011, 12:46 AM »
I tried to modify one belt a bit, and got frustrated with it.  It's probably doable though.  Glad I'm not the only one seeing the issue on the thighs yellowing - I've had so many people (even a local friend) say they don't know what I'm talking about... so I was at Wal-Mart about 2 weeks ago with him, and asked him if he saw any yellowing on the Sandtroopers.  He said he did not... then it became apparent he was only looking at the helmet, because it's SO obvious on many of the Phase 2 clones.  I told him to look at the thighs, and then he realized it... it really is a shame, because this figure is so close to being simply awesome. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 28, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Thanks for the comparison shot Jayson!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 5
« Reply #222 on: January 28, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Saw Gree and the Utapau Clone on the pegs at Wally today. Gree's visor was funky looking, not sure I liked it. Looked like the cards were unpunched at one point too.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:10 PM by McMetal »
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #223 on: January 28, 2011, 03:52 PM »
Oh yeah, the yellowing thing isn't something you're seeing alone CHEWIE, I saw some right out of the case that looked like that.  Some are really bad at this point, but mostly just the Clones.  The Sandtroopers didn't seem to be yellowing quite as bad, but they still have a dinge to them on the thigh part for some reason.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #224 on: February 10, 2011, 11:23 PM »
I just came back from my local Wal-Mart where I found 4 cases of this wave - the boxes were marked W1R1 for Wave 1 Revision 1.

I got to open up all 4 cases and the kicker of this revision is that the Jedi Luke in the case comes with the updated cardback...

This was the first time for me seeing the cardback, I haven't heard anyone else make mention of it. It's a solid cardback overall imo - to match a great figure, I had to buy 3.  ;D - but Hasbro did not correct the silver border around the nameplate. The figure itself is the variant/correction with the belt hole for the lightsaber hilt (which itself has the peg).

The case came with the following (1 figure of each)...

ANH "Yavin Ceremony" Han
ANH Luke
ANH R5-D4
ANH Sandtrooper
ESB Stormtrooper
ESB Darth Vader
ROTJ Jedi Luke
ROTS Yoda
ROTS Cmdr. Gree
ROTS Darth Vader
ROTS Utapau Clone
ROTS General Grievous
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:24 PM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot