Author Topic: Snaggletooth  (Read 13495 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Snaggletooth
« on: May 2, 2010, 09:48 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern
Power of the Jedi Zutton

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Snaggletooth
« Reply #1 on: May 2, 2010, 09:57 PM »
Vintage Snaggletooth is one weird figure:

• Based on a Holiday Special figure
  • Was first produced incorrectly as Blue Snaggletooth
  • Is way too short for the Holiday Special Version
  • Again looks nothing like Zutton
  • Has a really cool belt

For his day, the POTJ Zutton started to push and test some things including the ankle holster and articulated knees.    Now, he sort of blows chunks but its not one I'm really hoping they ever do again.  If anything I'd like the Sniviian from Jabba's palace.

I would like a few more Holiday Special figures though!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: May 3, 2010, 12:11 AM »
As a kid I never made the Chirstmas Special connection.  We just thought he was in the Cantina.  Of course it wasn't until after the Christmas special that the first Star Wars figures hit the market.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2010, 11:32 AM »
I don't think that POTJ Zutton is that bad. I certainly wouldn't want Hasbro to waste a slot in the Vintage Collection to update him - but I wouldn't mind him being put on a Vintage cardback so one day we could have all of the first 20 figures done in the modern line on replica Vintage cards.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darthfloyd

• Youngling
  • Customizing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 3, 2010, 12:13 PM »
As I said previously with the Blue Snags, I thought this was a rendition of Hrcheck Kal'fas...mostly because I'm fairly certain there's a tall Saurin (Kal'fas' species) and a short one, and they were just making the two different ones.  Also, I didn't pay too much attention to the costume, cuz, well, Greedo and Hammerhead aren't really wearing the correct outfits either.  I figured they just wanted a blue and red one so you had to buy one more figure.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 3, 2010, 01:43 PM »
My little sister loved this guy. It was unofficially hers until I took the entire collection from home.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: May 3, 2010, 03:58 PM »
Again, like Blue Snags, I always liked Red Snags as well...  Though less for some reason because he was too short to be as heroic as Blue Snags (Yes, these guys were like main characters to me, and were heroes like Chewbacca or Han). 

I like POTJ Zutton for what he is, but Zutton's nowhere near the Vintage Snag figures IMO...  To me, that figure was at the very least mixed in that he was based on Zutton and the Takeel character (Takeel's headsculpt looks a lot more like the Vintage figure than Zutton).  I'd never really shed any tears if they never made another Zutton as he's from the Holiday Special and not much from it interests me.  I'd rather Takeel get redone honestly, and Jabba's Snivian is a good figure for the future as well I agree.

Zutton can just eat it.

This is one of those figures though, like Greedo, that if Hasbro whipped up something to honor the vintage figure (short, no shoes, Smooth jumpsuit and funky belt), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Glitch

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 4, 2010, 12:15 PM »

I dig both of these little beasts - so funky.  I'm glad Hasbro did the Holiday Special version.  If not, we'd have a big ol' gap in our "Modern Update" list.  As has been mentioned, none of the cantina aliens had even remotely correct outfits or proportions, so this works.

As an owner of a Blue Snaggletooth as a kid, I remember seeing the Red Snaggletooth figure on the pegs for the first time and simply being blown away.  Back in those days, variations, and even figures, would hit without the long "heads up" we get these days from magazines and the internet, so when you saw something like this, the cloth cape Jawa or big head Han, it was a genuine shocker.

I really miss that feeling.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 4, 2010, 12:42 PM »
I'll echo what others have said.  I like the POTJ one well enough, and thought it was pretty spiffy for the time, but I suppose it could be improved on.  That being said, I'm not sure I'd necessarily want them to use a space up in the Vintage line to resculpt this guy.  I'm also in the camp that as a kid I didn't know this guy was from the Holiday Special and not the Cantina, I wouldn't have known the difference, just figured he was in there somewhere.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 12:28 AM »
I vividly recall finding vintage Red Snaggletooth on the pegs for the first time at a Toys R Us...I'm almost positive he was the last Star Wars figure I got. I, too, was blown away by the update since I already had the Blue Snag. I really liked the new version...I remember playing that they were father and son, and Red Snag would cause a lot of trouble.

POTJ Zutton was one of the first figures I actively scoured for...everything else had seemed to come easy up to the end of POTJ. Later on he became fairly common, and I seem to recall a head-color variation that was funky looking.

For my money, Vintage is definitely a cross between Zutton and Takeel. Whenever I saw Takeel sitting next to Han's booth I would think "there's Snaggletooth." I would much rather see an update of Takeel over Zutton on a vintage card, even though the picture wouldn't "match" the Vintage version.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 12:33 PM »
I love snags, he was my very first SW figure ever! I personally am content with the modern versions that I am not at all wanting updates. I thought the Blue Snaggletooth was a nice homage to the Vintage line.

I would love to see a repaint with Grey skin and those weird eyes ala the Jedicon Zuckass/4-Lom vintage coloring style.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/