Author Topic: DC Universe Classics Wave 8  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics Wave 8
« on: November 3, 2008, 09:56 PM »
Wave 8 revealed!

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/matty/ContentTheme/pbPage.News

My god this line is going to break me. I have to have that Giganta. Can't wait to add these to the shelf.

In other somewhat related news for any of you Canadian collectors out there, the Dark Knight Movie Masters figures have been popping up in Zellers and Toys R US over the past week. Might be a good sign that the Universe line might be making a come back to Canada. I can only hope.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:50 PM by Scott »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #1 on: November 4, 2008, 09:28 AM »
It will be interesting to see how a wave like this does at retail, without any major "big hitters".  I mean, we have Hawkgirl and arguable Dr. Fate, but I doubt many outside of collectors know who they are.  That being said, it looks like another stellar wave.  The quality of these figures continues to be great I think, and it has me tempted to pick up characters that I don't necessarily know that much about or even need.  This will be a tough wave for me to decide on, as I don't really need some of the figures - but I sort of want to get that Giganta BAF.  Again, really nicely done figures.  Aside from the distribution issues, this might be one of the best lines out there right now.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #2 on: November 4, 2008, 11:37 AM »
Wave 8 looks great but don't know all of the characters.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #3 on: November 4, 2008, 12:00 PM »
As a big DC fan, that's another great wave.  The only real head scratcher is Gentleman Ghost.  Kind of cool that they are doing a figure of him, but I'll admit that's one I never expected to see.  What I'm most excited about is the variants of the parademons.  Nice to see the Super Powers era represented again.  I normally don't care about variants, but would like to get both of them this time around.

With all the new gods figures in this series and the size of the C&C figures, the Darkseid from the old line is starting to look a bit tiny.  I wonder if they will ever revisit him.  The old one is awesome, but his scale seems a bit small now.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #4 on: November 4, 2008, 12:13 PM »
Wave 8 looks great but don't know all of the characters.

I have to admit, although I'm becoming more familiar with the characters as I've been branching out further into DC comics lately, if it wasn't for the JLU cartoon I wouldn't know who a lot of these are either.  I grew up mainly a Marvel kid, but also read a lot of Batman and some Superman/JLA stuff as well (and watched a lot of Super Powers in its various incarnations).  I knew most to all of the Bat-verse, and the "big guns" of the DCU, but I wasn't familiar with a lot of the other characters prior to seeing the JL/JLU cartoon.

That being said, as you mentioned, the wave looks great.  And, I might be picking up one of the figures of a character I wasn't previously familiar with prior to the last couple years (Gentleman Ghost), just because it looks pretty cool.  Its tough to not buy these entire waves when the BAF is nice, so I'm still on the fence with that as well.  I keep thinking I should just stick to the characters/collections that I was familiar with growing up, and not branch out into completing these lines.  Things would be easier if this was the only line I collected ;).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #5 on: November 4, 2008, 12:37 PM »
For anyone interested, I see that BBTS already has the Wave 8 figures up for preorder (individually or as a set).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #6 on: November 4, 2008, 01:24 PM »
Um, did we ever confirm wave 7? 

I'll get a Dr. Fate and a Hawkgirl (saves me tracking down the older version that I missed as this one is virtually identical) and would like the Giganta BAF, but not chasing that many parts I'm afraid. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #7 on: November 4, 2008, 01:34 PM »
Um, did we ever confirm wave 7? 

Multiple times.  Flash (Barry), Kid Flash (Wally), Captain Cold, Big Barda, Blue Beetle, camo blue Aquaman and Booster Gold.  The variants are Booster and Barda and Atom Smasher is the CnC.

I'll get a Dr. Fate and a Hawkgirl (saves me tracking down the older version that I missed as this one is virtually identical) and would like the Giganta BAF, but not chasing that many parts I'm afraid. 

Assuming the Parademons both come with the same piece, you can have one of mine as I'll be getting both. 

I think this wave is outstanding.  Two of my ten wants from the latest Fwoosh vote (Mr. Terrific and Gentlemen Ghost), two versions of the Parademons, solid B list characters in Hawkgirl and Dr. Fate, another JSA character in Citizen Steel and while I don't know much about Vigilante, it's a good looking toy that I wouldn't mind having.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #8 on: November 4, 2008, 01:48 PM »
Thank you (for the answer) and thank you (for the part). 

BTW, this is why I asked:
Still really wanting a Flash and a Green Arrow from this line though.  Captain Cold?

Wave 7, rumored to be coming, Wave 7...
I don't go digging on other boards all that much, so while it was a bit of a silly question, I had a reason.  Either way, I think I should have known, but I'm pretty happy with wave 7 as Captain Cold was a big favorite of mine growing up.  Kind of surprised they aren't doing the alternate Flash as a variant but I guess that would almost be like a wholly separate character. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.