Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 413555 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #555 on: September 26, 2004, 03:10 PM »
Hey, no problem if you want the help.  I can probably score a punisher for around $9 US.  A little high, but less horrendous than usual.  Chips no problem as well. 

And Better Looking? Pfft. I have a date Friday and Saturday. Do YOU? Your still old.

Nope, no dates.  I married :P  The wife doesn't take too kindly to dating.  But the chicks go crazy for fat, bald old men with lots of $$.  They figure I'm going to kick the bucket any day now. :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #556 on: September 26, 2004, 06:12 PM »
Yeah, shoot me a PM or somthing. I should have a large chunk of cash available to mail Thursday afternoon or so.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Marvel Legends
« Reply #557 on: September 27, 2004, 01:57 AM »
I wish I could find a Captain America.

>:(

Plan to buy:

Captain America
Cable
Juggernaught

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #558 on: September 27, 2004, 08:03 AM »

Have you tried KB toys, the one by me had a bunch last time i went.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #559 on: September 27, 2004, 02:14 PM »

>:(

Plan to buy:

Captain America
Cable
Juggernaught

Well my Angry Friend, if you can wait about a week or so, I can go to KB and see if I can snag Captin American for you.

Kevin >:(

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Marvel Legends
« Reply #560 on: September 27, 2004, 06:09 PM »
I'll send ya a note over AIM, but I'll do like evenflow says and check KB's to see if maybe they have one and I've just overlooked it... I had a buddy mail me a ML once before and the shipping was pure ****, so I'm avoiding ever having to do that again.

Evenflow you're a Crow fan, are you not?

I won 1st Place in CrowFansOnline.com's banners/button contest last week, got a pack of James O'Barr's art cards and a few other goodies.

;D

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #561 on: September 28, 2004, 09:40 AM »
Evenflow you're a Crow fan, are you not?

I won 1st Place in CrowFansOnline.com's banners/button contest last week, got a pack of James O'Barr's art cards and a few other goodies.

;D

That I am, a huge fan. I will go check it out. Congrats man!  ;D

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #562 on: September 29, 2004, 01:24 PM »
Well I picked up Apocalypse and Hawkeye today at my local comic store. I was actually surprised that they had the chase Vision and they only ordered 1 case. Anyway, so I had the figure in my hands but it was on hold for someone else. Anyway 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Besides, if the guy does not pick it up it's mine!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #563 on: September 30, 2004, 11:43 AM »
You may have seen this elsewhere but I thought I'd get some opinions here.  Seems like there's been a ton of bitching about the Case Packs of ML VII.  Jesse Falcon has responded:

THANKS FOR NOTHING TOYBIZ

Wow, See here's the thing. Toy Biz for the last 5 or so yerars has run it's buisness as an FOB company. Now I've explained this before But let me give it a shot again. What that means in a nutshell is that we dont ship anything from HK, the reatilers who buy our products do. This is just the way this company works. So when you buy a toy biz produt the reatil chain that you get it form has shiped it to the states, or wherever, themselves. Even if we werent a FOB company we cant tell a reatiler what to buy or how much of it to buy.

I understand people's fustration with not being able to find this ( ml 7 ) assortmenst right now because some people have found this assortment and ususlly when that happens theres a mad rush to go out and find the stuff. But I would hazard a guess that Diamond dind't order a lot of prodcut, in comparison to what is on the water right now for Target, TRU, and of Course Wallmart. You should all keep in mind that its days away from October and all above mentioned retail chains are gearing up for the Holiday season. Witch means that there will be a glut of product ( ML 6&7) at retail in a month or so.

( witch by the way there's a saying in thetoy industy. There are 2 seasons...X-mass and the rest of the yerar)

I also cant help but notice that there is a lot of anger directed at toy biz for case packouts. Packouts & weighting is not an exact science and we have to make educated guesses months in advance of production for weighting so a factory can order all the supplies needed for each perticular figure i.e. comics, and plastic in the correct colors. In the case of ML 6 we have reweighted this assortments so BCW & MP are weighed much lower. And ML7 has a much more even packout now as well.

Now when it comes down to a specific comic shop reatailer they can charg what ever they want for a product, and probably will, if they think someone will pay that much. Its called supply and demand. The demand is high and the supplyis low and you have crazy Eddie coming up with crazy prices and that aint low!!! There is a reason the character on the Simpson is so funny, do you know why? it's because it's a truthfull characterization. My suggestion is to save your gas dont drive all over town until the Holidays. This way you can keep your stress level down and you wont feel the need to come to New York ( or rtm fior that matter ) and Raise Toy Biz to the ground.

We ( the staff of TB) are very proud of our lines we work very hard on them and we re always trying to make them better, and want nothing less for our products to get in front of the people who want to buy them. Were not tryint to ruin anyone's day or burn anyone and it's frustrating to read those kind of comments over and over so I hope in some small way I could help to clear up some of the passonate pleas I've read on this site recently.

-Jesse

So...while I believe the fact that sometimes they messed up, I sure hope they take a page out of the Masters of the Universe book and do the EXACT OPPOSITE of this and start evening out the packouts.

I've seen more and more reports of Comic Book Guys selling Apocolypse, Hawkeye and Vision for $50-70.  And while it seems that more figures are on the way and that the case packs will be different.  The bull**** that is the case packs in 6 and 7 have got to stop.  I cannot believe how companies don't see that this is NOT a kid line, I have NEVER seen a kid oggling Marvel Legends, I see the same pegwarming Wolverine, Spider Men and Hulks week after week at TRU.  Why they felt the need to do 3x on some and 1x on some pretty obvious most wanted figures is beyond mind boggling.  And to top it off, the 3 they weighted heavier are all Variants of figures they already did...Didn't we just go down that road with MOTU? 

That is where the bitching is more than justified and I hope to all things holy that ML 8 is not the same BS stuff or my interest in this line will die as quick as it did with MOTU

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #564 on: September 30, 2004, 02:38 PM »
Well, aside from the atrocious spelling it doesn't really say much. 

In VI, I understand why Wolverine was three per case.  I may not entirely agree with it, but he is selling, he is a tremendously popular character with Marvel and is likely to attract a casual buyer in addition to comic fans or collectors. 

Movie punisher is a bit puzzling, but not altogether.  The rationale for the case ratio was probably decided before the movie came out and bombed, relatively speaking.  I don't think they clearly understood the relative unpopularity of Punisher as a character - this is not 1982 after all.  His lines have long passed in most cases and the character has a core following, but a small one.  Making him one per case would have been smart, even if the movie had been a smash hit.  They can, and have as they have shown, repack a figure down the line. 

I even understand Phoenix being short packed.  Traditionally in action figure lines, female figures do not sell well for the most part.  Elektra sold fine, but I can find them on the pegs still and that was a one per case.  I think they underestimated the popularity of an X-female character, especially one that would appeal to an ideal target audience - collectors between 25-60, those that likely recall the original Phoenix storyline in the comic.  Two per case would have been ideal. 

As far as VII goes, I haven't followed as closely, but it certainly looks like they suffer from Hasbro-itis in the sense that they operate under the impression that kids are buying this line, something I think is about equally true for STar Wars as with Marvel Legends.  The real buyers are the fans that can readily identify with and have a nostalgic link to the line.  This is called Legends after all, so you should be appealing to an older crowd.  Granted I don't buy comics anymore, but I would think Vision and Hawkeye would appeal to Avengers fans, a line that is not, as far as I know, at the top of Marvel's hit list at the moment.  Apocalypse being shortpacked is just plain stupid.  Villains are popular, grasp the concept. 

This extends into the LOTR lines with them as well.  Evened out case packs will make everyone happy.  If for some unforseen reason Aragorn and Frodo suddenly become the darlings of the toy world (they are not) then repack the damn figures.  I really, really do not understand the concept of one figure per case of a particular figure.  Anyone seeing Arwen coronation, Moria Orc Archer sitting on the shelves these days?  Ok, how about Elendil or SA Aragorn?  Yeah, thought so.  Even it out.  OR admit you are trying to create a buzz in the industry and secondary market to hype your line.  All we're asking is that you be truthful and let us know you're not stupid and understand what's going on.  At least McFarlane makes no real bones about that and everyone understands where the relative value is.  I don't think it's a good marketing tool for the long run, but I understand the immediate appeal for the parent company.  I'd daresay that retailers are tiring of it though - lots of buzz when figures are put out; a bunch of fat, old guys go in, ravage the toy department and then the dregs are clearanced five weeks later.  No additional merchandise is purchased during the frenzy - how many guys you see walking out with a couple of football variants in addition to some pork chops, deodorant and a lawn mower?  Yeah, me too. 

As far as secondary market pricing, why bitch at toybiz?  Sure, they created it by the lousy case packs, but as he said, they don't set retail prices.  Bitch at toybiz for the lousy casepacks and have them fix that which will in turn fix the secondary pricing. 

I don't think manufacturers understand at all where and by whom their toys are being purchased.  There is no way in the world that some kid's parents are dropping $4000 US on toys on them in a year (for the average, normal kid).  Look in the collectors thread and look at what Dave and I have spent, by way of example.  We aren't making up for one or two kids, we're making up for hundreds of them.  And we are far from the exception, I suspect we are pretty close to average or below overall.  Many, many individuals do not partake in message boards. 

[/rant]

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Marvel Legends
« Reply #565 on: September 30, 2004, 09:07 PM »
Oh, that tool Jesse Falcon. Watch him pass the buck for lousy casepacks, again.

I hope I'll see more ML 6. I don't want to drop this line, but if I can't find the damn figures, I can't buy them. And I will not pay more than $12 each for one of these. They're neat, but they aren't that neat.

And for the love of God, quit making Wolverine, Spider-Man, Frodo, and Aragorn figures. The market can only float so many variations on the same note.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Marvel Legends
« Reply #566 on: September 30, 2004, 10:18 PM »
Oh look, another ****** casepack for series 8.
I got this from EE. I know the ship date is in January, but I wouldn't doubt this is what the cases will be.

1x Ice Man, 1x Storm, 1x Dr. Octopus, 3x Ultimate Captain America, 3x Iron Man Modern Armor, 1x Man Thing.

Blow me, Jesse Falcon.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #567 on: October 1, 2004, 12:08 AM »
This does make things easy.  Next time Scott posts a list of future figures and asks what you are getting from a particular series, I can simply reply saying anything that is packed one per case ::)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #568 on: October 1, 2004, 12:08 PM »
Iceman...hmmm...can I expect a clear Variant and a non clear variant?

Kevin

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #569 on: October 2, 2004, 07:17 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize that Marvel Legends 7 was in comic shops.  I picked up the new Iron Man & Weapon X today.  Very cool, but totally uncoolness by Toy Biz with their F-ed up case assortments.  I'd like to find the Vision, Hawkeye & Apocalypse sometime during this lifetime.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback