Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 57960 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #210 on: June 2, 2007, 08:21 PM »

I just finished this book yesterday.  Most Depressing. Book. Ever.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 2, 2007, 08:35 PM »
Not a very good book then?   :-\

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #212 on: June 3, 2007, 01:26 PM »
It was good, but without ruining it....don't expect to have the same feeling of happiness like when you finished the Hobbit or Return of the King.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 3, 2007, 07:42 PM »
I have to say that in reality, yes, the book is not a happy ending but if your a die hard LOTR fan, you know that from the HOME series and from the Smill. Having said that, I think Turin is perhaps the most realistic figure for a human.  The book without giving it away

SPOILER

is in reality a tragedy and as such, it is about how choice and pride lead to destruction.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 20, 2009, 12:15 PM »
Old thread bump here....I was watching some of the LOTR Trilogy marathon on TNT this weekend, and it got me to wondering:  If/when you decide to watch the LOTR movies these days, do you watch the extended editions or just the regular theatrical version DVDs?  Or do you just "catch them when they're on TV" or skip them entirely?  I don't know that I've actually watched the DVDs for quite awhile now, although I've sort of been wanting to watch the extended editions again.  I haven't seen those for along time now, as its just tough to find that amount of time to set aside for them it seems (especially with our daughter now).  I will say I usually watch at least some of them when they are shown on TNT though, still love those movies.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 20, 2009, 12:55 PM »
I bought the extended editions a few years back and always wanted to watch all three back to back to back, but I just don't have the time.  Still have to purge the standard editions, but I'll watch a few minutes here or there if I catch one on the tube though.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 20, 2009, 07:26 PM »
If I watch the films on DVD, I watch the Extended Editions.  I haven't watch the theatrical versions on DVD since the EEs were released.
The initial release of the trilogy on Blu-ray looks to be the theatrical versions.  I'll take it (for now), but it's still rather lame.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 20, 2009, 07:44 PM »
If I find them on TV I might watch a few minutes.  I haven't watched the full films in a while now.  I have both the theatrical and extended releases but when I sit down to watch them again I'll watch the extended releases.  I probably won't watch the theatrical versions all the way through again unless I watched on TV or went to some type of movie marathon event to watch them.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #218 on: April 20, 2009, 09:06 PM »
If I watch the films on DVD, I watch the Extended Editions.  I haven't watch the theatrical versions on DVD since the EEs were released.
The initial release of the trilogy on Blu-ray looks to be the theatrical versions.  I'll take it (for now), but it's still rather lame.

I read somewhere they'll release an "Ultimate" box set containing the EEs prior to the release of "The Hobbit - part 1," Christmas 2011.  Hopefully they'll use 100-Gig Blu-rays so they fit each film on one disc.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 20, 2009, 09:21 PM »
I too have both versions, but I only watch the EE's when I watch them.  I also ripped the EE's to my ipod...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 20, 2009, 11:13 PM »
I too have both versions, but I only watch the EE's when I watch them.  I also ripped the EE's to my ipod...

I've only got the EE versions.  I watch them on my iPod all the time.  However, I'm a LOTR addict.  Seems weird admitting that on a Star Wars fan site.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #221 on: April 20, 2009, 11:56 PM »
I also ripped the EE's to my ipod...

I've only got the EE versions.  I watch them on my iPod all the time.

I will never understand this.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 21, 2009, 12:00 AM »
I haven't watched the Trilogy in a long while either. I think it's due to trying to find a good chunk of time to dedicate to 3+ hours of movie, and that's the theatrical releases that I own. I did borrow the extended versions of the movies and after watching them, those are the better releases as they add much more (in a lot of ways). Now there's a scene that when I watch the theatrical version, it feels like it's lacking, or the editing's off. (When Pippen touches the Palntir??) I can't recall. It's been awhile. I do need to get the extended versions someday soon though.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 21, 2009, 11:09 AM »
I also ripped the EE's to my ipod...

I've only got the EE versions.  I watch them on my iPod all the time.

I will never understand this.

I use my iPod Touch to watch movies when I travel.  Its a lot easier to lug around than my PC on the airplane.  The screen is surprisingly easy to get used too.  Add on some Bose Noise Canceling Headphones and about as comfortable as I can get in coach class.  The funny thing is that my headphones are way bigger than my iPod.  I keep the iPod in the case with the headphones.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #224 on: April 21, 2009, 12:28 PM »
Yeah, I mean, I get the appeal of being able to watch movies on your iPod, while traveling and commuting and whatnot, but it seems like you'd lose so much with long, epic movies such as these.  It just wouldn't be an enjoyable experience to me, even if I really loved the movies.  I don't have a movie-playing iPod, but if I did, I think I could only keep it to short, flat comedies like Spinal Tap and Caddyshack and such.  But hey, if it works for you, more power to you.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."