Author Topic: TRU "Legacy of the Dark Side" 2 Packs  (Read 11675 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
TRU "Legacy of the Dark Side" 2 Packs
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:09 PM »
Just noticed these in the coverage at TNI, and didn't see them mentioned yet (unless I missed it).  Nothing too exciting, as it appears to be all repacks - but there appears to be a Fett pack ("orphan to Bounty Hunter"), a Grievous pack (the pre cyborg one and the regular version), and an Anakin to Vader pack.  Apparently exclusive somewhere (I think we saw these rumored before), priced at $12.99.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 03:14 PM by Jeff »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: "Legacy of the Dark Side" 2 Packs
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:41 PM »
That Pre-Cyborg Grievous is bad-ass...do not recall that one. Thanks for the head's up!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:03 AM »
Link Brian?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 12:17 AM »
That sent to a gallery view McMetal.

Here's a link to the only one most people will care about, and it sucks.

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/albums/2010_SDCC/Preview_Night/Hasbro/Star_Wars/DSC06437.jpg

Fett is the 2002 figure, and the VOTC Boba.  Meh.  I thought there was a hair of a chance they made a decent young Boba, but I was wrong.

The Pre-Cyborg Grievous was part of the 30th Anniversary Collection, McMetal.  Semi-tough to find.  One of the only ones of that collection that I saw only once or twice, actually.  Most of that stuff I saw a bit despite a rapid pace of new figures, but that Grievous was just a toughie for some to track down.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 10:17 AM »
That sent to a gallery view McMetal.

Here's a link to the only one most people will care about, and it sucks.

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/albums/2010_SDCC/Preview_Night/Hasbro/Star_Wars/DSC06437.jpg

Fett is the 2002 figure, and the VOTC Boba.  Meh.  I thought there was a hair of a chance they made a decent young Boba, but I was wrong.

The Pre-Cyborg Grievous was part of the 30th Anniversary Collection, McMetal.  Semi-tough to find.  One of the only ones of that collection that I saw only once or twice, actually.  Most of that stuff I saw a bit despite a rapid pace of new figures, but that Grievous was just a toughie for some to track down.

Sorry, I didn't have the link Jesse - signed off for the night after posting.  Anyways - yeah, a big pass for me too.  Straight repacks, and nothing all that exciting.  The older Fett is of course a nice figure, but we've had plenty of chances to get it at this point.  If it had a new, SA young Boba, I would have probably grabbed a couple.  The pre-cyborg Grievous is a nice figure, and not incredibly common, so I guess that's a nice one to get out there again.  The rest of the figures, while nicely done, are just repacks it seems, so kind of boring.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:44 PM »
Catching up on some of the pics this morning...  I agree with most of the folks in here - great for kids or folks who don't have them, but not for me.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Very unexciting. I was at first very excited when these popped out of the rumor mill. I have a feeling Hasbro won't be making a Series/Wave 2 for this line. I mean, how many other character sets can you crank out of these? It's not like Hasbro's made a Pre-Sith Dooku or Darth Maul to fit into the line. I *could* see Palpatine making it into this line somehow. Or maybe even pre-Dark Jedi Asajj Ventress to Dark Jedi Ventress! I agree that this will probably be targeted by only casual collectors and kids.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 06:54 PM »
The name of this line of 2-packs seems pretty good.  And the character choices are interesting.  But the execution is somewhat lacking.

Boba Fett - I really would have preferred to see a new young Boba Fett.  That figure is from 2002 and it shows.  The downside to Hasbro pushing forward the basic figure aesthetic is that when they go back to their library of old figures, they wind up looking like garbage in comparison.  Like young Boba Fett.  The ROTJ deco bounty hunter is fine by me, especially since they're putting out the TESB version on a basic figure card.

Grievous - I'd be more into this if Hasbro wasn't putting a better Grievous out on a basic figure card.  I can only think of a couple of things Hasbro could have done that would have drawn me in for a slightly different ROTS Grievous.  And I've already got the pre-cyborg Grievous, so there's no real incentive for me to buy this set.

Anakin to Darth Vader - You had to know there would be this kind of set in this assortment.  I would have liked to see a different take on Anakin.  The Episode II Anakin with pleather just doesn't work for me.  I've been hoping for Hasbro to make a better Episode II Anakin, but they're content to reissue this figure from a 2005 Evolutions pack.

All in all, there's nothing exciting here aside from the name of the assortment.  One new or retooled figure in each set might have drawn me in as a buyer.  This assortment is a head scratcher from a collector standpoint.  But ultimately with the character lineup, I've got to think that kids are the target market for this assortment.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Since these are exclusives, I'll be getting a set to keep MOC - but I won't be opening them - there's just no point since there's nothing new in the package.

Like others have said - if there was something new in each of the packs, that would be a different story - like if they were releasing a new AOTC Boba Fett - but that wouldn't make sense, if they were going to sculpt a new kid Boba figure, they'd be putting him in with the AOTC wave.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 10:49 AM »
Only one I'll be looking to get is the Boba Fett one. No need for the Greivous and Anakin/Vader ones.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: TRU "Legacy of the Dark Side" 2 Packs
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 03:42 PM »
Interesting Hasbro mention on these, that they're a new way for them to look at the "Evolutions" format.

Honestly, I preferred the old format.   :-\  Of course, the old one had new figures and these don't so I'm biased, but I guess 2 figures an evolution it doesn't create, to me.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 12:56 PM »
I'm always happy to see new product I can pass on.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 01:03 PM »
I'm always happy to see new product I can pass on.

Well then, I guess you'll be passing on LOTS of product this year. As will I! ;)
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 10:36 PM »
These have finally shown up - at $17.99 each. :o That's just plain absurd, especially for 2 repacks of considerably easy-to-get figures.