Author Topic: Green Lantern  (Read 21760 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Green Lantern
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2011, 02:47 PM »
Interesting point Bill. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2011, 02:48 PM »
but my tolerance for the movie going public is so low that unless it's something bound to hold the interest of all (and shut them up, keep them from texting, etc.) it's just not worth going for me. 

Just the movie going public?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2011, 09:28 AM »
I think GL's failure can be attributed to one thing:  26% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes.  It was just a poorly written, badly executed movie.  As such, it has no appeal outside fanboys who already like GL.  I was planning to see it until the reviews came in.  Studios can't get away with bad movies anymore, and in this economy people aren't nearly as willing to drop big bucks to waste an afternoon in the theater.

Similarly, I didn't really have any motivation to see X-Men First Class until the reviews came in.  When I saw so much praise I figured I'd give it a shot.  And it didn't disappoint.

I'd been wondering what kind of rating GL got on Rotten Tomatoes.  26% is pretty awful.

Not sure I see GL as being a second tier kind of character in the DC universe.  There have been some pretty big pushes for some GL storylines that I've seen over the past few years.

And similarly, I had low expectations of X-Men - First Class before that movie got released.  But the reviews came in and they were all really positive.  And when I saw the movie I was more than pleasantly surprised.  While the story may have diverged from the comics, it was good writing that made it a good film.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Not exactly the movie, but Green Lantern: The Animated Series is coming to Cartoon Network this Fall:

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/green-lantern/index.html

Short trailer and some wallpapers available at the linky.  I'm kind of excited for this, since - aside from the CG animation - it is sort of done in the style of Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Justice League, etc. and Bruce Timm is once again involved.  Hopefully it will be as good as those other series.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2011, 01:13 AM »
Is it true that the people that wrote this movie also wrote the version of Green Lantern that was suppost to star Jack Black? It was suppose to be a funny version of the Green Lantern and kind of a sequal to Shallow Hal. In fact, the Hal character played by Jack Black was never given a last name and this movie was were we would find out that the Hal from Shallow Hal was Hal Jordan!

I guess the idea was that Hal would get the ring and learn to use it much like the Greatest American Hero learn to use the suit the aliens gave him. The ring was suppose to talk too. Sounds terrible.

Here is the script: http://www.mypdfscripts.com/unproduced/green-lantern-robert-smigel-draft
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:19 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2011, 09:28 AM »
Is it true that the people that wrote this movie also wrote the version of Green Lantern that was suppost to star Jack Black? It was suppose to be a funny version of the Green Lantern and kind of a sequal to Shallow Hal. In fact, the Hal character played by Jack Black was never given a last name and this movie was were we would find out that the Hal from Shallow Hal was Hal Jordan!

I guess the idea was that Hal would get the ring and learn to use it much like the Greatest American Hero learn to use the suit the aliens gave him. The ring was suppose to talk too. Sounds terrible.

Here is the script: http://www.mypdfscripts.com/unproduced/green-lantern-robert-smigel-draft

I think the writers are different.  I know that Robert Smigel (SNL, etc.) wrote the Jack Black version (as in your link above), but the writers for the GL movie that made it to screen were different.  I don't know if I'm remembering everyone, but I was thinking some comics vets like Mark Guggenheim and Michael Green were among the contributors at least.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2011, 03:16 PM »
I really follow reviews, so that's why I passed on this.  I really wanted to take my kids, but after seeing that 26%...I figured that I'd hold off.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2011, 03:30 PM »
I thought it was entertaining enough, i dont agree with the reviews.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2011, 08:07 AM »
I thought it was entertaining enough, i dont agree with the reviews.

I saw it at a matinee this past Sunday - and I always love it when I practically have the theater to myself and my wife.

Unfortunately there was a young couple with their five year old kid - and I wanted so badly to look over at them and say "really? I don't think this is the movie for him, perhaps Cars 2 in the next theater over?"

Of course I didn't because I knew they would get indignant. Of course, five lousy minutes into the movie, when Parallax has a run-in with those three aliens, the kid was screaming/crying 'cause the movie was scaring him. I looked over at them and they proceeded to grab their kid and leave.

It was an okay movie, not a bad movie, not an awesome movie - but definitely NOT a movie for kids under 8.

I found it kinda slow in a couple of parts, but towards the end it got pretty decent. I knew enough about the Green Lantern story and some of the other comics to not really be surprised about anything in the plot. I hope they give it a chance with a sequel, they definitely have a chance here to have a Superman 2/Star Trek 2 situation on their hands - the hero up against a really great foe.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!