Author Topic: TRU "Battle of Endor" Pilot 4-packs  (Read 100617 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: TRU "Battle of Endor" Pilot 4-packs
« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2011, 01:48 AM »
Is that a sequoia limb you're you went out on there JACK?   :D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2011, 11:50 AM »
I know, I am really putting it out there.

I all seriousness, I have no reason to even look for figures at TRU. I order online as I always have done since 2006 but BBTS has not been fulfilling my orders for the extra army builders so I have to hunt for the extras I want. I have a lot of figures that I need to return right now from my 4 recent cases. I plan on buying more at least x7 Senate Guards, Jango & Obi. I will return all of the extra Grevious's, Sandtroopers, Clones, Vaders in their place. It's still worth it to me to order by the case. Outside of exclusives, TRU lost my business on everything else. I can deal with a price increase to $7.99-$8.99 but unless everyone is charging $10.99 no soup for TRU!

Whether we like it or not we are experiencing the beginnings of 70's style inflation. Everything is getting more expensive, if I am going to pay more, which I am willing to do as the product is worth it to me, I am going to order it by the case & have it delivered to my door for the same price without driving around aimlessly. Since I live in the heavily taxed IL it's actually cheaper for me to order online now.

I remember when EP1 figures hit $7.99, I hope in a few years we will see prices drop again. Time will tell...
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 27, 2011, 02:20 PM »

I remember when EP1 figures hit $7.99, I hope in a few years we will see prices drop again. Time will tell...

I highly doubt that they will drop in price.

I'm finding it easier everyday to pass on toys I would have bought in a second. Prices are outrageous these days. And with the economy the way it is, less and less people can afford those types of prices. While I can afford them, I choose NOT to buy them.

Heh, my Halo collecting has just about caught up with SW collecting in terms of $ nowadays. And there I know I'm getting quality product. I know what's coming out in advance, I can order from many places and not too many exclusives to tick me off.  While much of the same is true for SW, the toys are just becoming less and less appealing to me.

Heck a year or so ago, I was craving the Nu attack shuttle. I'll get one now, but I'm nowhere near as excited now as I was then.

I'd get these pilot sets if they were a reasonable price and easy to obtain. Really though, I just want the Grizz Fixx pilot and the Y-wing pilot. The rest are rather meh to me.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2011, 02:25 PM »
I really don't know that we'll see prices drop much either, unless they see huge business during these movie re-releases.  That really seems to be what drives prices down, and not many action figure lines see that these days.  I mean, we're seeing 3 3/4" lines like Star Wars and Marvel Universe running anywhere from $8-10 now, and the 6" scale stuff like Marvel Legends and DCU Classics are $15 a figure at this point.  It seems like the main times you can see some line-wide deals is when there is a ton of product moving like in movie years.  We saw good prices on the ROTS line (with some nice figures), and you can see the same types of things going on over the past few years with stuff like Transformers, G.I. Joe, Iron Man, etc.  I would guess things like Thor and Cap would see some good price drops for those lines, with the movies in theaters, but I don't know if the 3D releases of Star Wars would be enough to do that or not.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Working directly in the industry I can tell you the 3 biggest cost increase factors have been: Oil, Regulation and the recent 20% increase across the board for manufacturing in China. No company could avoid the latter as the entire country enacted this. The EPA and the Government has issued so many regulations to the toy industry in the last 2 years alone we had to hire a team just to keep up with it. It has added a lot of cost to our products. It's also why you see those stupid numbers on figures now. Just look at Yoda on Rebelscum, do you like his numbered pants?

This topic belongs in another thread so I do not want to veer it off course so to get back on topic $25 a set is pretty good when you consider current pricing. There are also plenty of ways to get some discounts as TRU has been at least putting out more deals/sales.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2011, 11:03 AM »
Well, I held off on ording online. It turns out that the Toys R Us rewards program is now in-store redemption only, and since I was really only looking to buy these ASAP because the rewards certs I had expired on 1/29, it all came down to this morning - if the TRU near where I work got them in, I was in luck. If not, I was just going to use the certs and finally buy the IM2 box set with Nick Fury and two Hammer Drones.

Well, as luck would have it - the first collecting luck I've had in a while - that store got in a case of the Endor Pilot Packs, so when all was said and done, I got the two sets I wanted and the out-lay of cash was only $25 and that was with tax. So the extra $35 being tacked onto my gift card after my order was cancelled really came in handy in this situation.

Glad to have these behind me, now I just need to get caught up on two waves of Vintage which so far haven't made any appearance yet locally...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2011, 02:01 PM »
I just returned my two online sets this morning with my in store receipt. I got my 3rd set free in the end, it's the deal I signed up for but took a little extra work. It was worth it and I am happy to now be able to check this off my to do list.

I think these sets will do well, between these sets and the Target Hoth packs they are a great way to army build and get some items would could not get with a regular release. I hope we get a second release of both series.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2011, 03:52 PM »
Now that I've opened up these, I have to say, I'm really pleased with them. I know they are just repainted bodies with new heads (in the case of the Rebel Pilots) - but I'm a sucker for Rebel Pilots so these are a great addition to my growing ranks for Rebels...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #203 on: January 30, 2011, 05:56 PM »
I finally got both sets and I like them.  More varied pilots for my Alliance hangar "diorama".  I'm debating on wether or not to replace a couple of TIE fighter pilots with these two or just display them in front of a TIE on the shelf.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 3, 2011, 01:00 PM »
I found them at my local TRU. They are ok. Grizz Fixx was good, so too the grey R5 and the Asian Pilot.

I wasn't at all impressed by the other figures though. The B-wing and A-wing pilots are just redos with new headsculpts. I'll likely pose them holding their helmets so the difference in heads shows up the most.

I was surprised that the TIE Pilots were both clones however. I would have though those two would have been different.

The R2 looks like a rehash of the Disney R2, just not metallic.

At least I had a couple of $5 coupons for these sets. So I got them for $10 less.

I think Hasbro is really scraping the bottom of the barrel here though.

This could have just been one set with Grizz Fixx, the Asian Pilot, and the 2 astromechs. That would have been worth it to me.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #205 on: February 4, 2011, 10:09 PM »
I found them at my local TRU. They are ok. Grizz Fixx was good, so too the grey R5 and the Asian Pilot.

I wasn't at all impressed by the other figures though. The B-wing and A-wing pilots are just redos with new headsculpts. I'll likely pose them holding their helmets so the difference in heads shows up the most.

I was surprised that the TIE Pilots were both clones however. I would have though those two would have been different.

The R2 looks like a rehash of the Disney R2, just not metallic.

At least I had a couple of $5 coupons for these sets. So I got them for $10 less.

I think Hasbro is really scraping the bottom of the barrel here though.

This could have just been one set with Grizz Fixx, the Asian Pilot, and the 2 astromechs. That would have been worth it to me.

But Imperial stuff sells!  ::)

I really don't mind them scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to droids and pilots (gotta collect them all!), but I really do with they'd have dumped the Imperial, and put a second astro in each set.  2 pilots w/their droids would have been much nicer to me.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 4, 2011, 11:04 PM »
I really don't mind them scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to droids and pilots (gotta collect them all!), but I really do with they'd have dumped the Imperial, and put a second astro in each set.  2 pilots w/their droids would have been much nicer to me.

I'd rather they dumped the astromechs and had a set of 4 pilots.  I'd much rather have another Rebel in there or even an extra TIE pilot.  We have 100's of Astromech designs at this point.  Just goes to show you can't please all the people all the time.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #207 on: February 4, 2011, 11:09 PM »

I'd rather they dumped the astromechs and had a set of 4 pilots.  I'd much rather have another Rebel in there or even an extra TIE pilot.  We have 100's of Astromech designs at this point.  Just goes to show you can't please all the people all the time.

I think they put the astros in their for the same reason they put the Imperials - it appeals to a wider group of collectors that way.  I wouldn't have touched the sets if it was four rebel pilots.  Really?  4 pilots?  As though the old 3 pilot sets weren't enough.  Would have been a big box o' orange, that's for sure...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #208 on: February 4, 2011, 11:50 PM »
aside from the fact that only one set has an orange pilot in it... 

But I agree that the sets are a little more appealing with the astromechs to a broader audience to a degree.  Probably not enough of a degree to make that much of a sales difference though, really.  But I think the droids are cool for the characters who had droids.  I liked getting them just as much as I liked getting Wedge's astromech, or Biggs', or Porkins, or anyone else who had one.

I liked the sets as they were though.  Knocked out some more movie pilots, a couple with lines, got a couple repainted droids in there.  Got some TIE Pilots in our armies.  Some things could've been cooler though.  Non-Clone heads on those pilots are my immediate wish I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phantom-like Menace

• Youngling
  • The hammer is my penis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 6, 2011, 03:13 PM »
aside from the fact that only one set has an orange pilot in it...

I figure he's assuming removal of two astromechs and two TIE Fighter pilots would likely involve their being replaced by orange pilots since there aren't many remaining (if any?) pilots of other colors.
I hate softgoods!!!

You're making me apathetic. You won't like me when I'm apathetic. I get big, green, and don't give a ****.