Author Topic: TVC will fail...  (Read 21349 times)

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: TVC will fail...
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 09:03 AM »
If it tanks then it tanks.  I think that has more to do with the overall interest in the 6 movies than anything else.  The line of figures has been out there since 1996 - 99 if you want to begin with TPM.  That's a pretty good run considering nowadays that toys last maybe 1 year unless they are successful like Cars.  The 3D films will get things going again in 2012. 

I think this is the best they could do during the down years.  Although some all new figures would have helped these first two waves.  I can't really count Dak since that's the same orange pilot we've gotten for awhile now.  Plus, that Han Solo Hoth figure is sort of new but not really.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 09:14 AM »
Just my 2 cents, but during the B-A-D days I bought way more obscure figures than I had ever bought before.  I'm not a completist, I just buy the subset of figures that interest me, but the desire to complete droids got me to buy atleast a dozen or more figures I wouldn't have bought otherwise.  Fast forward to the Vintage Collection and I've bought three figures from the first two waves (19 figures).  I'm not saying that my experience is typical, but for me, I have less interest in buying marginal characters in this line.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:15 AM by Keonobi »
I am not the Stig

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 10:17 AM »
I've only bought one tvc figure so far (the hoth Han because he is unique). The rest just arn't that unique for me to justify the price increase on. For less money on the CW side I get a card, dice and a stand. On the vtc side I get a figure that I already have with no clam shell on a fake vintage card.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 02:05 PM »
The line will be fine.  They announced today that the 6 films will be coming back to theaters between 2012 and 2018 in 3D.  That'll help the line as well.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 02:59 PM »
Or, Hasbro will just rerelease all of the figures that they've already made, which is good business.  I understand that thinking.  Funny how the 2018 date lines up with th erelase of Jedi in 3D, and the end of the Hasbro contract.

A little off topic, but I am surprised that the films will be realsed in order.  I like TPM, and I know many people who do.  However, it will not have the draw that A New Hope would have in 3D.  For many other, TPM was a giant bust...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 11:16 PM »
I think the only thing Hasbro could do to improve would be to cap waves at 4 or 6 figures per wave.

This would allow for certain case assortments/packing ratios to exist where you get either 2 or 3 of each figure in the wave per case.

Having equal figure packing ratios may not be a casual buyer friendly situation, but it certainly is a collector-friendly mentality.

It might also mean that they could more easily meet that new wave every 6 weeks goal they keep saying they're trying to achieve.

Think about it - if you took the eleven figures in the ESB wave, added say the AT-AT driver to the mix and to bring you up to an even twelve, you could split the ESB wave down the middle and have the first half be "Wave 1" and then six weeks later come out with the other six as "Wave 2".

For the ROTS wave they could have split it into two waves of four figures or thrown in a couple re-packs from the Legacy Collection over the past two years and made it another two waves of six.

The better they can make the case assortments collector friendly and the more regular they can make the waves will help make this line succeed.

Following the same patterns of 8-11 figure waves so you have to score two cases to be "caught up", foil variants and huge gaps in the shipments of waves is what turns people off.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:21 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 11:59 PM »
Could be because the majority of the buyers, kids, are focusing on the Clone Wars.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 04:31 AM »
I find  the selection for the Revenge wave a little underwhelming because I have a lot of these figures already but I try to remember what it was like when I first got back into collecting. I was always hoping they'd repack old figures that I missed out on, if I was starting collecting now, this would be a great start to a Revenge of the Sith collection.

I guess any money I've saved by not picking up everyone from this wave will be lost on the Jedi one, every figure in the wave plus extra Gammoreans is going to cost me a packet.

I really hope this line doesn't fail, I think it has some of the best looking figures I've seen in while and the lack of extra plastic in the packaging has got to be a little better for the environment.

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 06:57 AM »
I think it's just the typical over ordering of the first wave coupled with one too many sith revisions -once were over the hill and those Gam Guards are sighted...

I dunno  -what do you all think about the Clones wave-do you think it's gonna sit?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 12:08 PM »
Or, Hasbro will just rerelease all of the figures that they've already made, which is good business.  I understand that thinking.  Funny how the 2018 date lines up with th erelase of Jedi in 3D, and the end of the Hasbro contract.

A little off topic, but I am surprised that the films will be realsed in order.  I like TPM, and I know many people who do.  However, it will not have the draw that A New Hope would have in 3D.  For many other, TPM was a giant bust...

A bit off topic - but I am curious to see if Hasbro does anything different/special to go with the 3D releases in 2012 and beyond.  Like you said, you could very easily just repack a bunch of figures to highlight each of the movies - and by 2012 we might have pretty "definitive" versions done of everyone of significance (we're getting close to that already).  That said, it does make it a little more difficult I suppose with the movies being spread out over 6 years.  If they wanted to highlight the movies, I don't know if you'd put out some "commemorative" ROTJ wave (2017) alongside the TPM release in 2012.  Who knows, they may just continue with the line as usual and do something else.  It is definitely a good opportunity to push the movie line again though, and maybe an opportunity to try something "big" again (Death Star playset, etc.)  Possibly wishful thinking though...

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 1, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I keep passing on the TVC line too. I've bought 3 figures so far. I WANT to buy more, but I can't justify paying $8 per figure.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 1, 2010, 07:39 PM »
or $10 @ TRU.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 1, 2010, 08:21 PM »
That AOTC wave is a total snoozefest, I almost fell asleep right now just typing about it.  But Wave 3 is so exciting that it more than makes up for it.

It seems like last year there was like 5 waves all of the sudden in 2 months time, and while this year is a much slower pace, that ROTJ wave is such a high quality that I'm fine with it.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 2, 2010, 12:31 PM »
or $10 @ TRU.

Yeah, until they lower their prices to at least compete with WM and Target, I'm basically pretending they don't exist. :D
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 2, 2010, 04:07 PM »
I think the AOTC wave looks really good... sure it's not the most exciting characters, but the quality looks great.  I'm looking forward to this wave... not as awesome as the ROTJ wave of course, but still not bad.  I think some sort of wacky alien in the wave would have made it a bit better.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2010, 04:07 PM by CHEWIE »