Author Topic: Kenner "Special Action Figure Set" 3-Packs  (Read 75550 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Kenner "Special Action Figure Set" 3-Packs
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2011, 05:38 PM »
If Ponda Baba ends up being short packed, that would be an even more enticing set... and for Greedo, I'd hope they'd use a plastic vest instead of the fuzzy cloth version.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2011, 05:52 PM »
No...not the Modern vintage/saga versions...modern updates of the Kenner versions

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2011, 06:53 PM »
That'd certainly be more appealing than just throwing in the best version of a character.  I knwo I'd buy...  To me, they'd be totally unique characters I'd just mix into the Cantina with the screen accurate guys.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2011, 08:47 PM »
I'd defintely buy a screen-accurate Greedo if they did the plastic vest, but yeah, I'd love for Hasbro to do the Kenner 3-some as a nod to vintage, too. They just look cool.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2011, 07:38 PM »
What  I'm not really into though is one "new" figure, and others that aren't.  I'm disappointed in that idea.  Guys have said they wanted the Death Squad/Star Trooper with the grey uniform and stuff, and I'm just very against that I guess.  I want one too, but I'd rather it not be a simple repaint, and in a $20 3-pack I'd probably not really want otherwise.  :-\

The Cantina alien set though, if all 3 are updates of the original outfits and not screen accurate updates, I'd love that.  But at least 2 figures in the set would have to be "new" for me to think I was getting something really awesome for the price I guess.  $20 for one guy though, and 2 I don't want, really kinda blows.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2011, 11:19 PM »
Well, if the packs released so far have shown us anything, it is that Hasbro is only going to throw figures into these sets that they have on hand.

The 9-pack should have had the moustached Bespin Guard, instead we got that weird alien guard.

The set with Hoth Leia, while it did contain the hard-to-get second version of the Hoth Rebel Trooper, it contained the POTF2 2-1B - hardly a "Vintage" level sculpt.

And the easiest of any change, the Death Squad Commander in the recent 3-pack could have been repainted to feature a gray uniform like the Kenner release, but they stuck with the all-black version instead.

If they release this cantina set, it will include the Vintage Greedo, the soon-to-be-released Vintage Walrusman, and the Saga2 Hammerhead.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:20 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2011, 12:24 AM »
Yeah...but somewhere (a Q&A perhaps) they sort of hinted at they are planning on tweaking this coming up in the next couple of packs...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2011, 01:20 AM »
It was a Q&A @JTA:

JTA: Blah, blah, blah... ...Special Action Figure Sets... blah, blah, blah.
Hasbro: Blah, blah, blah...  ...The upcoming 3-packs will contain a good amount of newness.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2011, 09:58 AM »
Jesse, I guess I'll agree that a three-pack of new vintage throwback catinas would be awesome and just leave it at that. A separate updated Greedo would be welcome. But they're would have to be no repacks for me to pick it up. I haven't bought any of the 3-packs so far since I own the figures included. These would make for a cool comic con exclusive (with a wider release so as to save the frustration of the SDCC ones).

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2011, 10:22 AM »
Jesse, I guess I'll agree that a three-pack of new vintage throwback catinas would be awesome and just leave it at that. A separate updated Greedo would be welcome. But they're would have to be no repacks for me to pick it up. I haven't bought any of the 3-packs so far since I own the figures included. These would make for a cool comic con exclusive (with a wider release so as to save the frustration of the SDCC ones).

An exclusive with wider release doesn't make sense to me.  Either make it an exclusive to draw people there and be done with it, or make it available to everyone.  I hate exclusives.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2011, 10:38 AM »
We also asked the question a long time ago in a Q&A far far away...

1) Have you ever considered making homage figures to the horribly incorrect Vintage Cantina figures? Greedo on a Nabrun Leids body, Walrus Man with flippers for hands and feet in day-glo orange, Hammerhead in his skimpy blue pajamas and the Snaggletoothes in blue and red varieties, both with spiffy belts? That would make one heck of a box set, you have to admit!

1) We do think it would be fun, although some are more likely than others (producing a Walrus Man with an alternate flipper hand would be cool). Some of those figures already have modern updates in homage to the Kenner line, like the blue/red Snaggletooth versions which are pretty near-perfect already. If we did do any of the others you suggest, it would be in a way that would not require tons of tooling and would pay the right amount of homage to the Kenner line. Aside from the reversed 4-LOM/Zuckuss set for Celebration V, we don't have any more sets like that planned but the idea of doing more has crossed out mind. Anything is possible with the new Vintage line.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2011, 11:16 AM »
Any way we can make a cheap buck on your nostalgia is possible. Like same old vehicles in new but old looking boxes.

Anyway, they've been missing the boat.
-Kenner colors Boba Fett (3 3/4" or 12")
-TIE Pliot with grey gloves and boots
-Bespin Luke in fresh clean khaki
-Hoth Han with deep blue jacket and khaki pants
-Rebel Hoth Trooper painted like vintage trooper
-Light skinned version of dark skinned Bespin Guard
-Obi-Wan in almost all brown clothing.
-2-1B vintage colors
-Hoth Rebel with light colored pants and gloves
-Leia with more reddish hair and a more yellow vest
-X-Wing Luke with dark tinted goggles, oranger suit
-Han Solo with screen-accurate black pants (that's a joke...we all know his pants were brown blue)
-Needa in black uniform, since he's not called Needa anyway.
-30th ANH Vader instead of one of the same Vaders they keep putting in everything
-"Death Squad Commander"
-Bossk in more yellow suit with browner skin
-Snowtrooper all white with only black details
-At-At Driver with unpainted (grey) boots
-Stormtrooper with head fuzed to body...okay...maybe not.  :P

Thankfully they did none of that and saved me lots of $$$$  ;)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2012, 09:28 PM »

^ Sucks... hopefully they've got some new figures coming in the next round that will make that price seem more reasonable.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2012, 09:34 PM »
I'm not very hopeful. :( 

That said too, I'm not sure you'd get more than 1 figure that even came close to being new (repaint or whatever) and that would mean basically a $25 figure for a lot of folks.  That blows.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:36 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2012, 12:07 AM »
In light of the news of the new DPCI popping up and the fact that we may potentially be getting more of these, I decided to check out 12back.com to see what combos they haven't done yet...

Target has done...
ESB Imperial Set: 4LOM - AT-AT Driver - TIE Pilot
ESB Bespin Alliance: Bespin Guard - Lando - Bespin Luke
ESB Hoth Rebels: Hoth Han - Hoth Trooper - FX-7
ANH Villian Set: Stormtrooper - Vader - DS Trooper
ANH Hero Set: X-Wing Luke - Ben - Han
ESB Rebel Set: 2-1B - Hoth Leia - Hoth Trooper
ESB Imperial Set: Imp Officer - Dengar - AT-AT Driver
ESB Imperial Forces: Bossk - IG-88 - Snowtrooper
ANH Droid Set: C-3PO - R2-D2 - Chewbacca

Not Done Yet
Hero Set 1: ANH Han - ANH Leia - ANH Ben
Droid Set: R5-D4 - DS Droid - Power Droid
Cantina Set: Hammerhead - Walrus Man - Greedo
Villian Set: Tusken - Fett - Snaggletooth
Bespin Set: Bespin Han - Ugnaught - Lobot
Rebel Set: Hoth Leia - R2-D2 - Hoth Luke
Bespin Set: 3PO (rem linbs) - Ugnaught - CC Pilot

Out of those remaining seven sets, I think I'm most interested in the Droid Set (would love to get the BAD DS Droid sculpt in chrome and finally get a Kener Power Droid upgrade) and of course, the Cantina Set with Scott's dream set-

I just had a wet dream type moment...

Hasbro has said they will probably rerelease all of the Kenner 3 packs at some point...and have sort of hinted they may tweak the figures a little bit...here's hoping they release this with updated modern equivalents of the Kenner figures!

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender