Author Topic: Kenner "Special Action Figure Set" 3-Packs  (Read 75540 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Kenner "Special Action Figure Set" 3-Packs
« on: January 5, 2011, 02:48 AM »
Seems like more of these are coming...  Sandtroopers.com snagged new images of 3 new sets.  Check out our front page story to get a direct link to them.

Two SW sets, one ESB set...  Only the ESB set is particularly interesting.  HOw fast is that one going to blow out the door?  :D  I doubt I even make a huge effort to try getting it because it's the "scalper's dream" for the assortment obviously.  Pretty straight forward repacks it seems with no alterations, which is AOK by me.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2011, 02:49 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
Re: Kenner "Special Action Figure Set" 3-Packs
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2011, 06:10 AM »
Decent sets. Now that I got sucked in w/ the nine-pack at $25, I'll get these.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 5, 2011, 08:05 AM »
These look good.

I wonder how in good conscience they can call that set a "Star Wars" set when the Death Star Trooper is clearly the ESB version with officer/riding boots instead of the lower boots that they wore in Ep IV.  It boggles the mind. Insert "Death of the Line" and all the other fanboy whiney posts from other sites here.

I'd be more upset if I thought they would NEVER re-do the DST (or Death Squad Commander) but you just can't logically say NEVER with Hasbro and Star Wars figures.   I don't think it is likely, but not willing to commit to never.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2011, 08:50 AM by Paul »

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 5, 2011, 08:50 AM »
I guess I am missing it - but which one is the "scalper's dream"? 

Pass on these - though, if I didn't just (like 3 days ago) open my Hoth Leia, I would have probably returned her and bought the set she is in.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 5, 2011, 09:27 AM »
The set with the Hoth Rebel is the one JJ is referring to, I believe.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 5, 2011, 10:42 AM »
Although it is just more repacks (which might be for the best, as already mentioned), they don't look too bad.  Plus, I'll be much more likely to grab some if they are sold as individual 3 packs instead of the big 9 box.  I've been hoping we'd see the VOTC Han out there again at some point for awhile now, so I'll definitely try to grab at least one of those.  I may get the others too.  I never bit on the 9 pack, but thought I would if it ever hit clearance.  Our closest store marked them down to $35, and they flew out the door, so I missed out there.  May have to check the Super Target across town.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 5, 2011, 11:54 AM »
2011 and they repacked a 1997 2-1B. LOL.

More old packaging for people who like old packaging.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 5, 2011, 12:17 PM »
These sets look interesting... not sure I'll bite (depends on the price).

Imperial Set - The Stormtrooper looks like the Sandtrooper that is currently out, but the helmet kind of looks different to me (probably just my eyes playing tricks on me).  If the helmet looks right, if there's no yellowing, and if the belt isn't "choppy" looking like the current Sandtrooper, I'll probably get a couple sets of that one.  That's a lot of "ifs" though.

ANH Rebels - Ugh, that Luke again?  I can't stand that mold.  Those arms are the real problem in my opinion with that figure.  They just seem a bit oversized.  If they did something about that, the figure would be a lot better I think.  I might get a set because I love that Han Solo, and Kenobi is cool.

ESB Rebels - That 2-1B... well, yeah he's outdated and I prefer the mold from the TAC line better even though that one is tiny.  The Rebel is cool, but really... I can do without most likely.  I actually like the Leia figure the most and have always liked her look on Hoth.  May or may not grab this one.  It's not that exciting... if they had used the newer droid, I'd be convinced to get at least one set.  As is, probably a pass.  Not worth it simply for a Rebel scarf. 

I kind of think both Rebel sets might pegwarm.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 5, 2011, 01:06 PM »
what's that sound I hear????

OH ya it's the sound of these suckers ringing up at clearance price.
really we need vader in a pack like this.  This just for kids/new fans getting into it
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: January 5, 2011, 07:17 PM »
The set with the Hoth Rebel is the one JJ is referring to, I believe.

Yes.

A figure released only in a large battlepack, that people wanted to army build a lot?  I'll have 7 total when it's all said and done here, but how many people bought more than 1 of that battlepack but wanted more of that trooper?  If these are reasonably priced, I could see that set being the only one that sells at a decent pace.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 5, 2011, 09:11 PM »
I honestly like these a lot better than the original 9-pack, which I thought was only worth it for FX-7.

I'm definitely down for the Hoth set, mainly for the beardless Hoth trooper. Never picked up the Attack/Defense of Hoth sets, so like Jesse said, I want one of these. My original POTF2 2-1B is buried in a Rubbermaid bin somewhere, but I wouldn't mind having another. And Hoth Leia is a decent figure, and I called that we might get a "clean" variation sometime, possibly here.

The Rebel set is alright, full of good figures, but I don't need it. I agree with CHEWIE about X-Wing Luke's arms, I'd like to see a re-do of those. Obi-Wan is one of those figures that everyone should have, and should be in circulation a lot more. Great to see VOTC Han out there again.

The Imperial set MIGHT be worthy of a purchase if the Vader is a repack of the 30AC one, with the ANH gloves. It comes with two decent army builders too. That Stormtrooper looks like it's just the TVC/Dewback Sandtrooper but without the accessories. I'll wait and see with this one.

Guessing around $17 each for price.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 5, 2011, 10:08 PM »
I'm personally super excited for the 'Heroes' set - lookie, it's the VOTC Han repacked! :D I don't have any of the figures in that set (despite Pilot Luke having been repackaged countless times), so I'm definitely buying that one... I'm smelling $24 though, that was the price of the Evolutions sets, which had 3 figures.  :-\
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #12 on: January 5, 2011, 11:02 PM »
Here's where I just don't get Hasbro at all...why make the DST the same black outfit when fans have been asking for the figure in gray as well.  I would have bought two sets if he had been gray.  I will be buying none. 

I may buy the Hoth trooper one, but still, it's still buying two figures I don't need.  I can't really justify it anymore.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 6, 2011, 04:21 PM »
I'll buy one of each of the three.  The ESB set will definitely be the biggest seller with that Hoth Trooper.  Keep in mind that the photos may be mock-ups, so we could see the more recent TAC 2-1B when these hit shelves (not that I thought that was much of an improvement).
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #14 on: January 6, 2011, 05:42 PM »
I will buy the Rebel set for another Leia and a 10th Beardless Rebel to round out my troops. @!-B is a cheap bonus, I got rid of my POTF2 21-B a long time ago so I do not have him anymore. My daughter will like him and the POTF2 are safe as they do not come apart.
I think this is the last squeeze for that 21-B mold, knowing Hasbro's pattern they will probably have a new one shown at the upcoming Toy Fair.

I agree with speedermike, had that DST been gray I would have bought 6-10 sets. These sets are not bad they just do not offer anything new. Sorry while neat these packages are not compelling at all. This really would have been perfect chance to do true Vintage colors: Gray DST, Han all black, Obi in orange, Blue molded guns (for Stormie, Leai & Rebel Trooper) Collectors would have really ate that up.

Given the fact that the first 9 pack flopped on impact you think they would have made some adjustments.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/