Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 6  (Read 94000 times)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 6
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2011, 11:24 AM »
Anyways, is it me or does the new Luke look like he doesn't have articulated wrists?

My eyes could very well be playing tricks on me, but it looks like the figure has forearm articulation instead of wrist articulation. The hands look attached to the arms, but there seem to be noticeable cuts in the sleeves.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2011, 11:55 AM »
Anyways, is it me or does the new Luke look like he doesn't have articulated wrists?

My eyes could very well be playing tricks on me, but it looks like the figure has forearm articulation instead of wrist articulation.

Yeah, he has forearm articulation instead of wrists (to preserve the look of the long sleeves over the hands).  Here's a close-up from the toy fair pics that lets you see the cuts on the forearms a bit better (more noticeable on the left arm) -

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2011, 02:01 PM »
Yeah, he has forearm articulation instead of wrists (to preserve the look of the long sleeves over the hands).  Here's a close-up from the toy fair pics that lets you see the cuts on the forearms a bit better (more noticeable on the left arm) -

Thanks for the clarification Jeff. Not trying to be the complainer, but it's a bizarre place to add articulation. I know some Jedi figures have had sleeves over part of their hands. Granted, the sleeves were bigger due to the robes, but I'm surprised Hasbro couldn't pull that off here. It's a very petty issue, but now this Luke will have misaligned sleeves when you turn his arms.

I must say, Hasbro did do a good job of hiding the cuts. They appear to blend pretty well with the sculpted wrinkles.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2011, 02:43 PM »
Looks to me like they did this for an easy swap with gloves on other figures (as the gloves are longer)... so to me this looks like it was a move by Hasbro not so much to preserve the actual look, but to get more use out of the mold around the elbow joint.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2011, 03:05 PM »
Well, yeah - this guy has the same torso/arms as the 2009 Snowspeeder Luke.  The cut is at the same point in the arms as that Snowspeeder Pilot figure, except instead of the glove hand, this guy has now has a "sleeve/hand" piece.

I guess I should have been clearer - he only has forearm articulation instead of wrists (to preserve the look of the long sleeves over the hands).

At Toy Fair, Hasbro said they opted to keep the articulation where it was (forearm) and use a 1-piece replacement (sleeve/hand).  They saved money (using the existing arm with just one new piece) and they said they liked the look better.

I'm just telling you what Hasbro said at Toy Fair - no one said you had to believe what they say... ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:08 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2011, 04:09 PM »
Yeah it makes total sense to re-use as much of the SS Luke...  I mean, they've done tons of wrists hidden in sleeves, they can, so yeah, it's obvious what the deal was here.  It's a cool figure regardless of where the wrist joints are I think.  This is like the, "Little changes you'd like to see".  This is perfect for that category because it makes an ultimately new figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2011, 04:19 PM »
I'd like to have him be a lot dirtier...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2011, 04:26 PM »
I'd rebuy him for that, actually.  He's obviously real clean when he gets out of the ship, so I'd kind of like both...  Minor, but it'd be cool since it's noticeable. 

Of course, I'd be happy to see the helmet dirty on all of them.  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2011, 04:39 PM »
I'll be getting an extra to apply a dirty wash. I'd also like Hasbro to take another crack at a Dagobah R2.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Yeah, I am in the camp of not minding the clean look, in fact for me that almost makes him more of an army builder in a way, I think.  Because then you can swap out his head and have a group of pilots without gloves on...

And for all my pilot ranting, I really don't mind it when they make a change like this on such a great sculpt. 

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2011, 04:54 PM »
Ok, is this a new head sculpt for this Luke?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2011, 07:40 PM »
I believe so, or it's the Bespin Luke's, however I don't have it handy to compare.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2011, 09:33 PM »
I believe it is new. The Bespin one is all kinds of different.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 1, 2011, 10:57 AM »
just preordered this wave at HTS

don't forget promo code HTS10 for 10% off.  Total for 6 figures came to $59.42 - so just under $10 each.  This is good for me because I need to really start using that "gas saving" type of mentality.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2011, 11:07 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #149 on: March 1, 2011, 11:16 AM »
Sweet, says they are in stock too, saves me from dealing with the extras in a case...which is also another reason why I love the BBTS Pile o Loot :-*