Author Topic: Gamorrean Guard  (Read 16543 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Gamorrean Guard
« on: May 8, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Re: Gamorrean Guard
« Reply #1 on: May 8, 2011, 10:06 PM »
The TVC Gammy is truly a masterwork from Hasbro.

Am sure there's sentimentality for the original though.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 8, 2011, 10:26 PM »
Seems like the new modern one is harder to get than the true vintage!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 8, 2011, 10:58 PM »
I like that vintage had that left fist so he could punch Luke in his stupid ugly face.

Who brings an medieval axe to a lightsaber/blaster fight anyway?

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 9, 2011, 01:31 AM »
Vintage Gamorrean was a decent interpretation for that time. Stand up, not so wide stance, firm, with an accurate axe.
The naif interpretation is the vestige of an era we lived and supported as collectors when kids.

I celebrate all the updates of tvc Gamorrean, he has movable head, removable helmet, soft goods piece, is more wider than the original, and you can pose his arms in a way suggesting that he swing them when walking, even if his hands are holding weapons.
Only seems that his torso is kinda shorter compared to vintage or potf2 torsos of the same character.
The paint job is movie accurate, and could be the base for slightly variants of this figure in the future, like a taller
Gamorrean with a larger torso.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2011, 10:43 AM by EpicGon »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: May 9, 2011, 01:43 AM »
Was always a cool bad guy when i was a kid.

The TVC version is perfect!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 9, 2011, 08:40 AM »
TVC Gamorrean is definitely a top 10 figure all-time.  Probably higher.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: May 9, 2011, 09:25 AM »
I agree with the gushing, this is probably Hasbro's greatest work ever.  All three weapons, seamless articulation, real fur...wonderful on so many levels

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 9, 2011, 01:03 PM »
TVC Gamorrean looks like a furball.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 9, 2011, 04:30 PM »
This is one vintage figure I wanted to get but missed, it didn't last long at retail. Other than too much 'bush' ;) this is a great figure. I still have my original one somehere and who else remember how kenner re-used the body as Friar TUck from Costner's Robin Hood movie?
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 08:41 AM »
Top 5 figure for me - easily.  Love him.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 09:10 AM »

Friar Tuck sure is heavily armed.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 06:34 PM »

Friar Tuck sure is heavily armed.

Friar Tuck was one of those impossible to find figures; I never saw one. I do like  that the Friar has his left hand in a fist so he can punch the Sheriff of Nottingham in his stupid ugly face.

Someone should totally customize a new one using the new guard figure.  :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:35 PM by scockery »

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 11:02 PM »
The Gamorrean is a great figure, too bad I've only seen him exactly once!  I agree with others that this is one of Hasbro's best figures ever.  Just fantastic.  Just hoping I can find him in one of the repack assortments.
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 08:49 PM »
Vintage Gammie was one I just never owned...  I think I had something against him because he was portly maybe.  Same with the fat old guy that was the "Boss" character in the Fisher Price Adventure People TV crew...  that guy got the shaft.  Boss Hog did too.  :-\

I loved how they re-used the Gammie for Friar Tuck too...  What a completely punch in the nuts to the guy who played him.  His big furry underwear, his multiple knees like fat chins.  It's really funny looking.

Seriously though, I don't know why I never owned a Gammorrean from the Vintage days other than I probably wasn't as into SW figures and was drifting towards GI JOe...  the original was a pretty great sculpt though, and the fist hand fit the figure well because he just looked like he'd be punching people instead of using technology, for some reason.  The big archaic axes and furs I guess gave that impression even though others had force pikes and pistols.  I guess I never noticed those details as a kid.

The new figure is really a work of art though...  I'm not sure I'd put him as #1 though.  I don't even know for sure he'd make my top 5 figures.  I think VOTC/EB Chewbacca, Hermi Odle/Ephant Mon...  They're above the new Gammie.  He's definitely good though.  Top 10 for sure, and probably a big away from the 10th spot. 

My gripes are pretty much what others note...  His helmet falls off him far too easily, his skirt isn't quite right and needs modified to be perfect looking, and I'm a little miffed that they inhibited his leg articulation for no real legit reason up near the thigh joint.  It's not too bad, but having the guard sit is not going to happen.

One other thing I'd have dug if they'd have done it (though it's nothing that shaped my opinion at all, just would've been neat), is that his jaw was ripe for articulation.  It's designed in just a way that it could easily work without showing at all.  It would've been neat...  not necessary, but at $9 a pop it would've been appreciated.

The only real gripe then at the end is the availability which Hasbro I believe said they intentionally shorted Wave 3 shipments to retail...  I think the Gammorrean would level off though, if enough got out at retail.  I think Hasbro sees this figure's popularity and I wholely expect to see more of it out at some point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77