Author Topic: Fear Itself, Predictions, and YOU: Who's getting smoked?  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
We're coming up on issue 3 of Fear Itself soon.  As you know, in almost every major Marvel event in the last 5 years, a Marvel character is offered up to the Gods as sacrifice.

Secret Invasion - Wasp
Civil War - Goliath
Dark Reign - Punisher
Shadowland - Bullseye
Siege - Sentry, Ares
2nd Coming - Nightcrawler
World War Hulk - (Did anyone officially die?)

Place your bets for Fear Itself here:

I think decent chances go to Odin, Sin, Juggernaut.  And for some reason today, Spider-Woman popped into my head.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Fear Itself, Predictions, and YOU: Who's getting smoked?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 06:37 AM »
Guess I'm the only one reading!

SPOILER

Wolverine #9:  Mystique is dead.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:06 AM »
It doesn't really matter does it? No one ever dies permanently in comic books. I hate that.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:03 PM »
I'm reading too...kind of tough to get a read on who will be getting it in Fear Itself, but you're right I'm sure there will be at least one death.  I think the ones you listed (Sin, Juggernaut, etc.) are fairly likely candidates, and for some reason I have a feeling about Bucky as well (although it would be kind of silly since he was just brought back within the past 5 years, but you never know).  I do think at least one of "the Worthy" will be getting it though, possibly more.

As far as death in comics, I think it is sort of a tough thing to do.  The whole "illusion of change" thing has been discussed with comics before (I believe Stan the Man coined that phrase himself), but I do understand why people get upset about deaths not "sticking".  Then again, if all the heroes/villains who have died over the past 20 or 30 years stayed dead, who would really be left?  Unless you really don't want to see Peter Parker as Spidey, Steve Rogers as Cap, Tony Stark as Iron Man, Bruce Wayne as Batman, Clark Kent as Superman (and the list goes on), and just want the costume to be a rotating cast - characters kind of have to be brought back (or not killed in the first place).  I mean, realistically, we know the deaths/rebirths are to push sales, and they are in a business after all.  I do agree that some deaths should stick though (Gwen Stacy, Bruce Wayne's parents definitely come to mind), and I thought the same way about Bucky until some pretty great stories came out of it recently.  Anyways, its sort of a tough position with death in comics I think.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 10:26 AM »
  Unless you really don't want to see Peter Parker as Spidey, Steve Rogers as Cap, Tony Stark as Iron Man, Bruce Wayne as Batman, Clark Kent as Superman (and the list goes on), and just want the costume to be a rotating cast - characters kind of have to be brought back (or not killed in the first place). 

I counter with Green Lantern.  Really I agree with what you are saying Brian, just an example that came to mind.  I'm no fan of the killing of characters to draw attention especially when we know they'll return in due time but marketing is marketing. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Yeah, Green Lantern is really an example of a character that has had a number of people behind the mask that has its own group of fans.  Even leaving aside the other members of the Corps, some people love Hal Jordan...some people really like Kyle Rayner, and some (particularly those introduced via the JL cartoon) may think John Stewart is their GL.  Hal Jordan has obviously had a big comeback over the past 10 years or so, and now especially with the movie, so I think he is becoming a little more ingrained as "the" GL.  But, it all depends on what you grew up with, are familiar with, or just generally like the best.

Honestly, all apologies to Barry Allen fans, but I sort of prefer Wally West as the Flash in the DCU.  Sure, he is currently "a" Flash, but not "the" Flash - and really doesn't appear all that much currently.  Many (most?) probably prefer the original (outside of Jay Garrick anyways) of Barry Allen, but I guess I grew up more with Wally, and sort of prefer that character if I had to choose.  Now, I still read the Flash comic regardless, and I like Barry fine as well, but another example of a "replacement" that maybe filled the shoes of the previous version just fine.

Anyways, I think we all agree that death in comics is a bit of a joke.  Sure, we know that many to most are going to come back - and probably within 5 years - but that's just the name of the game.  Like it or not, it sells books.  Johnny Storm's death launched Fantastic Four to #1 for that month, and that was a book - despite it having very good stories over the past couple years - that was really lagging in sales otherwise.  Sadly, it (meaning big deaths) works from a sales perspective, and they are in the business of selling books.  Well....back to Fear Itself now :)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Confirmed major hero death coming this wednesday in Fear Itself #3.  And I'm 99% sure I know who it is.  If you want to know, scroll down for the spoiler:

Are you sure?  Keep scrolling...

SPOILER

Bucky gets iced by Sin.  Book it.

END Spoiler.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 12:04 PM »
I thought they didn't kill kids.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours