Author Topic: Walmart Exclusive Clone Wars 2-Packs  (Read 23120 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Walmart Exclusive Clone Wars 2-Packs
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 09:37 PM »
Any of you guys with 2012 reset Walmarts seeing peg space labelled for these?

I checked at 3 different Walmarts I hit today and none of them had any shelf or peg space labeled for these. It's possible they could tweak some things in the future...one can only hope.

Someone's GOTTA corner Hasbro on this during Toy Fair, just to find out once and for all what's up.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 10:23 PM »
Well, I finally caved today. Given the recent news about the Mando Transport, and Hasbro's piss-poor management of this line in general now, I finally decided these things are never coming out here so I placed my order for both sets from Toy Palace.

The Euro versions come without the DVD, unfortunately, but I never plan to open these up anyway so it really doesn't matter.

It was not a cheap option, but these things are only going to get harder and harder to find as time goes by, I'll wager. The set with Gearshift has not popped up on eBay for months.

Plus it's not like I have any new toys to buy from this line for the next two months.  :(

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 09:00 AM »
Did we get an answer from Hasbro on the fate of these?
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 10:31 PM »
To my knowledge, no one asked specifically about these, sadly, but given their response on the Mandalorian Transport, you can sort of guess. Both the 2-packs were in the SOTDS packaging, and they pretty much said there is no place for that at retail anymore. I am still hopeful some of the domestic versions actually got produced and will show up someplace eventually, but that may be a longshot. The Euro packaging is a lot more plain-jane.

Sucks, these were by far the best of all those DVD 2-packs. They finally figured out to put new figures in those things and then this happens.

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 11:06 PM »
Didn't they say Wal-Mart had taken delivery of these, though?
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 09:49 AM »
Didn't they say Wal-Mart had taken delivery of these, though?

Wow, no, I have heard nothing like that. At least not at Jedi Temple Archives, Galactic Hunter, Rebelscum, Echo Base News, Imperial Holocron, or here at JD. I really scoured the internets for info on these before I resorted to buying them overseas, but it's possible I missed something at one of the other sites.

If you can find any kind of source for that, please post it, as that would be fantastic info to have confirmed.

Thanks!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 05:46 PM »
What was really new about these?  The Clones?  In the grand scheme of things those aren't a tremendous loss, but I think we may see those some time this year.  It's been said before and it bears repeating:  If Hasbro has shown a product publically, then more than likely it's going to make it's way to market.  They've shown a committment to doing that time and again, even if it take a while.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 02:30 PM »
What was really new about these?  The Clones?  In the grand scheme of things those aren't a tremendous loss, but I think we may see those some time this year.  It's been said before and it bears repeating:  If Hasbro has shown a product publically, then more than likely it's going to make it's way to market.  They've shown a committment to doing that time and again, even if it take a while.

The Clones in each set were new, yes: Gearshift and Scythe. You also get some cool molded brain worms too.

I'm not so sure this will ever see a mass release here in the States. Hasbro has already stated that stores are not carrying forward any SOTDS merchandise, which is how both of these sets were to be packaged domestically.

As far as them showing these publically, well, they have made their way to market - overseas and in Canada. we're just not likely to get them here I think. Hasbro may repackage the clones somewhere down the line in a BP or something like that, but I don't think we're likely to see that this year, if ever.

I do hope I'm wrong though, I would much prefer to have the SOTDS packaged version with the DVD included. I just don't feel great about the prospects right now.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 10:33 PM »
Got these both today in the mail...very nice additions to the MOC collection.

Interesting that Gearshift is only referred to as "Clone Trooper". I figured he would at least be identified on the cardback but nope, just plain old clone trooper.

FWIW, the brain worms in the other set with Scythe are unique sculpts compared to the ones that came with Barriss. Very well done.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 01:08 PM »
Could these be hitting eventually in the Maul-type packaging? While I would have preferred they show up on the SOTDS packaging, but I'd be okay with them on the 2012 packaging just to have them...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 08:35 PM »
Could these be hitting eventually in the Maul-type packaging? While I would have preferred they show up on the SOTDS packaging, but I'd be okay with them on the 2012 packaging just to have them...

I think it's possible, but depends a lot on whether any of these were actually produced for Walmart in the SOTDS packaging or not. I think that is still a big unanswered question at this point.

The other problem is that the DVD's themselves are sort of redundant because those episodes are so old now and have long been available in the season set.

I'm thinking these would probably make for a good potential battlepack down the road though, just leave out either Ahsoka or Obi-Wan. I'd buy 'em again, no doubt.

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 08:53 AM »
I think it is more likely these become Entertainment Earth exclusives or are sold in mass to Big Lots, Ross, Kohls or some other smaller discount chains with toy departments. I sure hope they make it somewhere.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 09:40 AM »
These are showing up at TJ Maxx & Marshalls.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 10:36 AM »
Wow, sure glad I dropped a bill to have the Euro versions shipped all the way from Germany.  ::)

That is some really good scoop, Jayson. All the sites this morning are harping on those 2 eBay auctions going on right now, but I talked to that seller last night and he did not find them at stores, he works for some kind of toy review company and they just happened to discover a box in their stockroom or something to that effect.

So it's very nice to have confirmation these are actually hitting brick and mortars. I now know what I am doing on my lunch hour today.  :)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 11:39 AM »
These are showing up at TJ Maxx & Marshalls.

So glad they're not hitting Ross. TJX seems to stock much more consistently on a store-to-store basis than Ross so I'm sure these sets will be fairly easy to acquire.