Author Topic: Toys R Us "Death Star Trench Run" UBP  (Read 29305 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R Us "Death Star Trench Run" UBP
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 09:44 AM »
The single biggest concern I have with this release (aside from the high price point for multiple items we already have) is WHAT IS NEW ABOUT THE X-WING?

The modded Power FX X-Wing was a major step forward in terms of upgrades to a vehicle that we had seen up until it's release around 2002.  But the drawback about it has always been that the cockpit is on the tiny side.  It's the reason we wound up with the really anemic Red Leader figure that came with the Red Leader X-Wing in 2004.  And don't even think about getting a figure like Jek Porkins into that cockpit.  But in order to any of these things we're talking about a major structural change to the X-Wing.  One which would probably mean an entire new X-Wing vehicle tool.  Do I see this coming from Hasbro at this time?  I can't say that I do.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 11:03 AM »
Someone on another board speculated one reason for the retooling is so the X-Wing will fit in a starfighter assortment sized box (disassembled). It also explain why they added a launching torpedo gimmick. That would be neat if the X-Wing could return to regular retail. Lots of rebel pilot figures made, but not so many fighters, anything post-2000 has been exclusives that included pilots...well until this year!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 02:55 PM »
Someone on another board speculated one reason for the retooling is so the X-Wing will fit in a starfighter assortment sized box (disassembled). It also explain why they added a launching torpedo gimmick. That would be neat if the X-Wing could return to regular retail. Lots of rebel pilot figures made, but not so many fighters, anything post-2000 has been exclusives that included pilots...well until this year!

Meh - I think I have a dozen X-Wings in one form or another, so not too excited about more.  That said, it would be nice to have the new ship available by itself at a smaller pricepoint. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 03:06 PM »
I can't see them chopping up the FX body and throwing it in a starfighter box personally.  I can see the vintage mold in the starfighter assortment.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2011, 09:54 AM »
This X wing is not only an update for the FX or Dagobah swamp version but its coolest evolution.
In the last 6 years we are being exposed to the concept of evolution among Hasbro toys, and the ultimate
sculpt does not necessarily implies bigger size than the previous release.

The ship evolved in pieces and accesories: the first dashboard, torpedo launcher and belly compartment, not to mention the amazing paintjob. When many guys talk about display of the UBP, is a respectfully option but the tvc version is intended for playing too. ;)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2011, 11:18 AM »
So is the official word here that all of the figures are repacks?  I'd love to not need to track down $15 worth of toys out of a $100 set.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2011, 12:13 PM »
Some pics highlighting the cockpit changes for the curious...

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:15 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 09:00 AM »
I dunno. Nice upgrades to the X-Wing, but not necessarily worth the price of the entire set. However, with less to buy these days, it's not that hard to swallow.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 3, 2011, 05:03 PM »
I see this was just added to the TRU website:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11862721

Additional Info

Item #: 730011

SKU: FE64156A

UPC/EAN/ISBN: 653569651918

Manufacturer #: 33235

List price is $99.99. Does not appear to be in stock so likely just a pre-listing. Still, progress.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 12:18 PM »
So I saw this in the store yesterday.  Honestly?

-The paint and deco on R2-D2 looks pretty good.  He's got some of the manipulator arms and the figure looks pretty awesome.  I'm not certain if this is an all new R2-D2 based on the cursory look at the figure in the package.

-The paint and deco on the X-Wing looks bland.  Some of the previous X-Wings have a much better weathered look about them.  This one looked pretty vanilla.  The new cockpit details look nice, but it doesn't put this version over the top for me.

I am still leaning much more towards NOT picking this set up.  The packaging is nice, but I get the sneaking suspicion that this X-Wing tool with the improved cockpit will be offered again in 2 years, and a newly tooled Vader TIE Fighter will probably happen within that time frame, too.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 01:29 PM »
Isn't that just the R2 from that walmart BAD two pack?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline bellboy

• Youngling
  • So be it, "Jedi"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 02:37 PM »
Saw it in the TRU in Times Square and my opinion is the packaging is humongous. I read a lot of the comments about both vehicles prior to this release. However, I must say it's a pretty good look on hasbro's part to release these two as a set. I can't wait for it to arrive. For me, this is a must have.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 10:41 PM »
This thing disappointed me tremendously.  I really wish a "BMF" style X-Wing would happen, that doesn't look comically small next to the BMF TIE Fighters...  the small scale just loses it for me.

I appreciate the updates to the cockpit and landing gear covers, but they're just meh on a small ship.  Much like the Y-Wing  and B-Wing, I'm happy to pass on this set.  It's just not my cup of tea.

Likewise, I think Vader's TIE could use an update, or at least a better and more accurate deco since it's not blue-grey in the films.  It's a decent size, just needs a little more umph and an interchangeable "Battle Damage" wing for the right side.  As it stands though, this set isn't on my list at all.  $100 in the bank.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 08:40 AM »
Awesome, I got a $10 off $75 or more that's good starting today through the weekend, I hope I can find one of these and use the coupon to get it for $10 off!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 02:59 PM »
Scored one of these this morning, used my coupons/rewards bucks so I'm good with a MIB one.

Now if get another 20% off coupon or more rewards bucks I'll score one to open. This is a sweet looking set, but not for $100, I'll only get it if I can get it for less...

I was shocked to see how big the box is!  :o
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!