Author Topic: I have now seen everything...Bedsheet Scalping  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
I have now seen everything...Bedsheet Scalping
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Had a moment to kill after work tonight so I went to the local Wally and Target to check out if they had any Blu Ray swag out yet.  On my way in to Target I passed a woman with 4 shopping carts filled with Bedsheets, Boxes and other tacky looking ****.  As I was passing by she was telling her two little girls to run to the sheet aisle and see if they put out any more king size sheets.  Weird...methinks.  Anyway, it was a quick trip as they still had 9 Wooofs and 9 Endor Rebels clogging the pegs and I headed out.  As I was passing the cash registers I saw this woman checking out so I decided to head behind the register she was at for a gander...she was at over $5000 and still had two carts to go!  Wow...WTF?!??

So I just got home and was checking the Minneapolis paper's website and lo and behold I find this:

Missoni madness sweeps Target

Missoni madness swept store shelves and crashed Target's website Tuesday as the retailer launched its latest designer partnership. Missoni for Target includes everything from cardigans and ballet flats to sheets and luggage from the Italian fashion house known for its bold zig-zag and geometric designs.

And it was gone before you could say "What's Missoni?"

Fashionistas hauled away the high-style goods in carts as soon as store doors opened at stores at 8 a.m., and orders jammed and crashed the company's website, which was down for three hours Tuesday morning. Target issued this statement mid-morning, shortly before programmers got the website back up, although with limited access:

"Due to an overwhelming amount of traffic to Target.com as a result of the Missoni launch this morning, guests are unable to access the site. Providing a positive shopping experience to our guests is important to us and we are working to get the site back up as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience."

The line at the Edina SuperTarget near Southdale started shortly before the doors opened at 8 a.m., said Haley Sando, executive team leader at the store.

"I think we were a little bit blown away," Sando said. "I just don't think we were prepared for how fast things were going to go. Guests had full shopping carts, full baskets."

The hottest items: clothing and accessories, followed by towels and bedding. By 9:30 a.m., her store was "wiped out," Sando said. "People were shopping right off the flats we were bringing it out." The shopping was congenial, she said, but it left a lot of people frustrated.

The store might get more product to restock the shelves as early tonight, she said, but there were no promises.

"I heard one guest saying to another guest that she should load up her cart because she could sell it for twice as much."

Frustrated shoppers flocked to Twitter and Target Style's Facebook page to complain about people grabbing the merchandise and reselling it on eBay

Wow...the end is near people...the end is near :'(

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: I have now seen everything...Bedsheet Scalping
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:24 PM »
WTF is Missoni?

All I want from Target is Ponda Baba.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:52 PM »
And how mad will significant others be when this **** doesn't sell like planned since it seems like it's just mass release retail crap?

Probably as mad as significant others are when some knob is sitting on dozens of action figures he thought he'd put his kids through college on.  It's sadistic but I like watching guys with hundreds of POTF2 figures they planned to sell, just eat it on what they paid.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:53 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:16 PM »
I didn't know what this was either, but about 10 minutes after I read this post, Marin told me that she spent 30 minutes today trying to buy some online.  She kept getting it in her cart but couldn't check out, so she went to two stores and both were long sold out.

Apparently it's a big deal. 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 09:37 PM »
She kept getting it in her cart but couldn't check out...

Sounds familiar.

I can find this shop downtown Manhattan.  ::)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 01:49 AM »
This is that terrible looking line that Target has been spamming TV with for the last week, commercial after commercial.  People on this site shouldn't be surprised at the lengths some will go to, but seriously, this stuff looked like ****.

And next time your chick has something to say about your action figure collecting, ask if they waded into Target for the Missoni sale... 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 02:06 AM »
WTF is Missoni?

All I want from Target is Ponda Baba.

This. Although I want more of those cool 4-pack pint glass sets they're selling too.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 02:38 AM »
My wife had no idea what it was/is (thankfully!).  Funny though, I was telling her about it while the news was on and they had a report about the frantic sell outs at Target stores earlier today.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 11:30 AM »
Missoni for Target crashes site, leaves fashionistas crazy upset

(CBS) - See these clothes? You'll likely never see them in your closet or on shelves unless you were one of the very few to snag 'em at your local Target store before the rush or one of the very few who was able to gain access to the wonky Target.com site yesterday.

Missoni for Target debut coverage on Tech Talk

Some have said it was like Black Friday with more than a hundred shoppers lining up at stores bright and early to score housewares, skirts, even a bike with the iconic zigzag Missoni pattern. One minute, there were clothes on racks and home décor on shelves; after a matter of hours, they were gone.

It was the designer collection's debut at the massive retailer. Fashionistas came out in droves or woke up early to log on to Target.com. Some successful, some not.

Each item from the 400-piece line made by the Italian luxury knitwear designer Missoni ranges from $2.99 (for stationary) to $599.99 (for patio furniture), which is a fraction of the price of the designer's real duds that can go for $595 to $1,500.

"This was Missoni mayhem," said Joshua Thomas, a Target spokesman. "This is unprecedented."

Missoni craze crashes Target website

I actually lucked out around 11:30 a.m. when the site miraculously refreshed on my computer without the failed "woof!" page. I've never shopped so fast before in my life! Within five minutes, I had $200 worth of Missoni stuff in my Target.com cart. I hit "place order" and voila. I just got myself a blouse, a sweater dress, a sweater skirt and a jumpsuit. I don't know what they look and feel like in person, I don't know if they'll fit. I'll worry about that next week when my shipment finally arrives.

At 12:20 p.m., Tech Talk blogger Chenda Ngak was going to buy a Missoni dress. She clicked to enter vital info - her shipping address, credit card info, etc. - then got an oops page. Oh, the agony!

Around 10 p.m., we checked the site again and it was still wonky, giving oops pages every so often. But when it did finally refresh, most of the desirable Missoni items were deemed out of stock. Some swimsuits, however - now out-of-season - are still available as of 10 a.m. in limited sizes.

About 11 hours ago, @TargetStyle on Twitter tweeted "Keep your eyes on Target.com. While we don't plan to restock, there could be a return or order cancellation..." And that wasn't the only message that went out to disappointed followers. There have even been a couple of reports from online shoppers whose orders have been (gulp) canceled.

"@TargetStyle please take your #missonifortarget commercials out of rotation! It's a bit of a stake in the heart. We can't buy any of it," tweets Heather Swanson.

"@targetstyle I placed an order 6am yestrdy for Missoni, received confirmation & JUST NOW got an e-mail that you cancelled my order?" tweets Anna Ferraiuolo.

"Just received an email from @TargetStyle that my order that I made at 5am yesterday was cancelled. SERIOUSLY?!?" tweets Ansa Ahmed.

Hope's not lost, but it's pretty grim. We did a search and found jerks people selling Missoni for Target stuff on eBay, but of course, there's quite an up-charge. Rude.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 09:21 PM »
And people thing we are weird for collecting little plastic men.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 09:39 PM »
I will not rest until everything in my house is Missoni.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 08:11 AM »
What you guys aren't taking into consideration is Missoni is the only brand making clothes, towels, sheets, etc. So how else would you get dressed or furnish your home?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 10:38 AM »
The Target stores here in Australia have had exclusive sales of designer label fashion clothing where there's a line up that can start very early.

All cause they are going to be offering clothing normally only available @ a Fashion Designer's studio/boutique.

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope