Author Topic: Star Wars: Detours  (Read 15959 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Detours
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Horray! :D
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 09:29 AM »
I am betting that "postponed" = "not gonna happen, ever" now.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 12:11 PM »
Seth Green did an AMA. Someone asked him about Detours.

[–]Issac_Twamblee 74 points 20 hours ago

Seth

Can you shed any light on what happened with Detours?

[–]IamSethGreen 164 points 19 hours ago

So there's actually been quite a bit of talk about this, but Detours is just on hold currently. We have 39 finished episodes and around 62 finished scripts. But that entire show was created before the decision to make more Star Wars movies, so our show (which was created by George Lucas) is an animated sitcom in the world of Star Wars, so we had a lot of conversations with Kathleen Kennedy about Star Wars in not just the next 3 years but the next 30 years, and when you're in as privileged a position as we were to be able to work on Star Wars content with its creator, you get a great sense of responsibility to the whole. I was introduced to Star Wars as a child and it was without any ironic or comedic lens, so I saw Darth Vader as scary, and I saw all of those messages very very clearly. We didn't think it made any sense, in anticipation of these new movies coming out, to spend the next 3 years with an animated sitcom as 3 generations' of kids first introduction to the Star Wars universe.

I've had a lot of parents approach me in the last few years where they showed Robot Chicken or Family Guy Star Wars before they showed them regular Star Wars. The writers on Robot Chicken and I are seeing this a lot. The same way we were introduced to classic music through Bugs Bunny or Tom & Jerry, kids are taking our ironic interpretations of He-Man or other pop culture icons and never having the opportunity to meet them sincerely. It's a really bizarre thing to wrap your head around, and because I've witnessed it firsthand, it made me more thoughtful about what we were putting it out.

I do feel that Detours is a timeless bit of entertainment. Media distribution is changing so quickly, so dramatically, that can you even imagine what distribution of content will look like in 5 years? In a day and age when Netflix series are nominated for the top accolades TV has to offer, what is to say what it will look like when the new Star Wars movie comes out? So Detours can sit on a shelf until the Star Wars movie comes out without losing any of its lustre, because what we've created is very funny, very smart and like I said before, timeless.

It's timeless, y'all.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2013, 02:59 PM »
A turd is a turd, in any moment of eternity.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 11:00 PM »
That's a nice way of saying "we won't be making any more, and what was made will be treated like the Star Wars Holiday Special".

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 12:42 PM »
Timeless, my arse. You just know those things are full of dated references to crap like "twerking" and the Kardashians.

Just give us our Dr. Ball, M.D. spin-off series!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy