Author Topic: Brian's Toy Exclusive - Jocasta Nu  (Read 50064 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Brian's Toy Exclusive - Jocasta Nu
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2012, 11:08 PM »
Would't you just sculpty the pants and use strips of electrical tape for the suspenders?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2012, 02:15 AM »
White elastic with fabric markers?  Done and done.

Phruby,

I'm not a big fan of Sculpey for anything but a prototype to then cast...  Which is a labor-intensive and costly process.  I'd much rather just make little pants for the existing muftak, kinda like they made the giant boots and Jedi robes for him to make the Jedi Talz from the Tartakovsky toon...

Sculpey, for me (especially since I suck at sculpting) is more a launching pad to something sturdier and more able to be functional when it's done.  A lot of guys sculpt and just bake it on, and then the custom goes on a shelf and it's nto meant to be moved.  I like to move stuff and Sculpey will fall apart pretty easily I've found, even the Super stuff.

(Tip of the day, it's always available at Michaels and almost always can be had with a 40% Off Coupon, even via their phone ap)

Part of me thinks the tiny "big pants" would be all the more comical too, for some reason.  Just picturing it in my head makes me giggle a little at what the fig would look like.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 02:19 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2012, 10:44 AM »
Ok, I have an plan for this JJ, I will post the pics later if successful, I will send them to you directly if it is a total failure.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2012, 12:04 PM »
Please post pics.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2012, 02:52 AM »
On topic: I'm perfectly content with the old Muftak, especially since I despise softgoods.  Your miniature sewing machine sure sounds interesting though!

Off topic (now): I originally wanted to vomit at the idea of Brian's getting an exclusive like this, especially at that nasty $25 price point.  But after calming down I decided I'd rather get gouged $25 a pop for the last handful of "never-before-made" figures from the movies than never getting them at all (literally, or figuratively based on Hasbro's crap distribution nowadays).  That said, if Brian's Toys wants to spring for $25 figures of Cliegg Lars, Sim Aloo, Sgt. Doaylnn, a couple more Padmes, Tonnika Sisters, and a few others, I guess I'm game.  Hopefully Hasbro will let the likes of Target and Walmart beat them to the punch though.  As horrid as things went for the TPM release earlier this year (movie and figures), I'm hoping Hasbro and LFL will still use the presumed 5 remaining 3D releases to promote the likes of the aforementioned figures during their respective releases.

As for the Jocasta figure, I think the face could use a better likeness (as usual), but overall it definitely looks pretty well done and accurate.  That Dooku bust is obviously one of the nicer accessories we've ever gotten with a figure (excluding the various deluxe lines), which makes the price point slightly more easy to stomach.  I just think $19.99 would've been a more tolerable price for most everyone, and judging by the quick reversal Brian's did on the "charge now, receive next year" nonsense, I'm guessing early sales were pretty underwhelming at this higher price point.  It'll be interesting to see if they drop the price on Jocasta later on next year, like EE has occasionally done on their SW exclusives in the past.
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Time for a bump, anyone else curious why there has only been drips and drops of these shipping it seems?  I'm guessing maybe in part because Brian's Toys has to handle probably a lot of orders I'd imagine.

I have 3 on order...  none have shipped yet.  Little nervous.  :-\

On Spirit Of's point about $25 figures to get you obscurity...

I'm not opposed to it ONLY if it's like Jocasta's been done.  If they got us a new Owen/Beru, or Cliegg, and they came with something nice as an accessory PLUS the usual guns/coats/whatever they SHOULD have, I'm more ok with that concept.  $25, for what you're getting with Jocasta, isn't as bad as people think.  She has the Dooku bust with the holocron under it, plus she has the rest of her Jedi Junk she should have, and fairly elaborate packaging.

That said, I'd do without elaborate packaging happily if the figure were more in line with $15 to $18 then.  Just a regular card to match other figures in the line they come out in, that would suit me.  I don't need a clamshell.  Especially for something obscure.  ICMG sure, but Jocasta?  or the Lars clan?  Meh.  Give me them in a plastic baggie for all I care, but a simple card to match the line they're released during would be fine too, or always on a Vintage Card would suit me as well.  Simplify the process that way. 

I just think the little bust and stuff add to Jocasta...  She has a little more umph because of that.  Come to think of it I wish all Jedi came with a bust from the library.  That'd be damn cool.

It helped too, free shipping on this figure from Brian's Toys.  I can't say I'm unhappy with them getting this.  If it works, I'm game for more.

Doallyn and a couple of Spirit's though, I'd rather just see in the line.  They're less boring, at least to me anyway.  Cool aliens are always cooler than old women librarians with bitchy attitudes.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2012, 04:01 PM »
I've still yet to bite on this one... I just can't pay $25 for a single figure. Heck, I think some of the Celebration exclusives (concept droids, Zuckuss/4-LOM reverse set, etc) were maybe $20 tops, and they had much less excessive packaging too.

Plus I missed out on a group of locals that did a bulk order to shave on shipping, which is supposedly ridiculous for a lone figure. Kinda bummed about that.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2012, 07:33 PM »
I can understand that.   :-\

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2012, 09:17 AM »
I haven't ordered her either, but that's because I'm not worried about a sell out.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2012, 09:18 PM »
I saw one site report that someone had gotten Jocasta Nu already.  But has Brians Toys started charging anyone's cards yet?  I certainly haven't seen that charge hit my own card yet.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 4, 2012, 04:56 PM »
Time for a bump, anyone else curious why there has only been drips and drops of these shipping it seems?  I'm guessing maybe in part because Brian's Toys has to handle probably a lot of orders I'd imagine.

I have 3 on order...  none have shipped yet.  Little nervous.  :-\

On Spirit Of's point about $25 figures to get you obscurity...

Just checked the listing on the Brians Toys site.  The listing for Jocasta Nu currently states that the expected availability is January 31st, 2013.

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #116 on: December 4, 2012, 05:48 PM »
It has been that way for a while now. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to why orders are sporadically being filled - including my own.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: December 4, 2012, 09:10 PM »
Kinda bull**** at the moment.  Very frustrating.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2012, 09:06 PM »
Fired off a mail... See where that gets me.  I have 3 on order for myself and 2 local guys who help me with orders, so this sorta bites right now.  Hope this gets resolved soon.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2012, 10:07 PM »
It sounds like Brians Toys simply doesn't have a billing & shipping department that can deal with this kind of volume.  They've been around for a while, but I don't think they've ever done volume sales that comes close to what EE does.  And EE has handled their fair share of online exclusives.  But they've had time to build up their infrastructure to handle things like a Star Wars exclusive figure.

Feedback