Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)  (Read 243595 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode VII
« Reply #30 on: November 7, 2012, 05:31 PM »
I'm thinking Ahsoka needs to die before the CW series ends. That's the only way they could reconcile her absence. Though the CW cartoon really should have been more about Anakin and Obi-Wan together...I feel like Ahsoka was an unnecessary addition to the SW universe.

Ha, maybe for you.  My daughter loves watching the Clone Wars, but only when Ahsoka is in the show.  She will complain or lose interest in the ones where Ahsoka isn't featured - even Padme isn't worth her time.  You guys have to think about the motivation for some of this stuff.  Jar Jar was added for comic relief and the kids loved him as much as we hated him.  Ahsoka was added to bring girls into the fold for a kid cartoon - not establish stronger continuity between the movies.  It will be interesting to see what they do with her, but if it's carbonite freezing for E7, I will be very dissapointed.

I think the next SW film should be a true sequel to the Saga and they should handle the OT characters in one of two ways; set the film far enough in the future that they can cast Hamill, Fisher and Ford to basically hand off the new series to a younger generation of characters or base it off a scenario where we don’t need to see those original characters on film.

Maybe base the film on some other characters living in a post ROTJ universe, where we may hear about how Leia is leading the Senate or Luke is off teaching at the new Academy without actually showing them.  Or if they skipped ahead and the series focused around the children of the OT heroes.

One thing I don't want to see is Luke, Leia and/or Han recast with different actors.  I've seen some comparison between the new Abrams Star Trek and how Disney could handle a sequel to Star Wars but I call bull****.  Abrams didn’t really come up with a way to recast the actors as much as he wiped out four decades of continuity with a time travel film and started over from scratch.  I liked the movie, and I accept it because time travel isn't new to that universe, but I don’t want to see that with Star Wars.

I can accept the EU being thrown out and not being taken into consideration when it comes to sequels, but the six Saga films and the Clone Wars animated series, all of which came with Lucas’ input, should stay.

E...

+1 to just about everything you said E.  I would like to see Han, Leia, and Luke all in there, but as mostly small parts handing off the baton to a new generation.  I can't believe people are suggesting things like "Han's not here because he was killed off screen."  I will be so ridiculously dissapointed with that.  This movie is going to be huge - if they want Ford, Hamill, and Fisher in the movie, then I'm sure they will get them. 

As for the storyline, there's so many routes they could go with this.  Mopping up the Empire seems logical, but not very entertaining.  I don't really want to see them pursuing warlord-lead clans around the galaxy.  I know not everyone is an EU fan, but there are some fantastic sotrylines they could go after or at least base a new plot on:

#1 - The New Jedi Order makes the most sense.  The Solo Kids would make an easy transition, introducing the new characters and building some cool new Jedi with Luke at the helm.  Don't like Hamill?  He could be initial the headmaster, then killed off...or just not on screen for much of the movie.

#2 - Korriban was the home planet of the Sith and made a resurgance after the fall of Palpatine.  They could go with some Jedi exploring Korriban and falling to the dark side ghosts there.  Heck, if you're rebuilding the jedi then maybe someone is rebuilding the sith and we'll have a new Jedi/Sith war down the road.  Imagine that lightsaber battle scene!  In the Legacy comics, the new Sith leader does away with the rule of two.

#3 - Clones, clones, clones.  In Dark Empire, the Emperor's essence travels to a younger clone body, which means you could have Palpatine back again with another actor fairly easily.  Maybe he resumes control over the remnant Empire.  What if a younger, clone Palpatine joins the New Jedi Order and is the one to kill Luke?  Maybe the new trilogy will be Leia's kids eventually taking down Clone Palps?

#4 - One Name: Legacy.  They could go 100 years into the future to encompass all or any of the existing EU.  In the history of the SW universe, 100 years is a rather insignificant amount of time.  They could start off with the grandchildren of Luke and Leia with new threats the galaxy.  This would avoid having to get OT cast members back AND wouldn't tread on the EU outside of the Legacy comics themselves of course.

Just some fodder to think about, but I'd be happy with any of these ideas.  I just don't want to see any time travelling or find that some hidden figure was around prior to EI orchastrating everything from the prior six movies.  And I definitely don't want to OT characters just written off  as having died in the aftermath of the war.  Recasting the core OT characters would also be a HUGE mistake IMO.  Although...

At one point Lucas said that CGI tech used for Yoda was at the point where they could essentially create an artifical human character that would seem as real as any actor.  Is there any chance that they're planning to bring back ROTJ-age Luke/Leia/Han with CGI?  I can't imagine it, but seems like yet another possibility if the tech really is that good.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #31 on: November 7, 2012, 05:55 PM »
Another Death Star!!!

(obviously a joke)
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 8, 2012, 06:22 PM »
Latest rumors:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/08/toy-story-3-screenwriter-may-write-star-wars-episiode-vii

Oscar winner Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine) has wrote a treatment for Episode VII (and perhaps the entire trilogy) and may be one of the writers of the trilogy when it is scheduled to go in front of cameras in 2014.  It is said to include Luke, Leia, and Han and they are hoping to be able to bring back Hamill, Fischer and Ford to reprise their roles.  According to the report, the first three directors that the treatment is being sent to are Spielberg, Abrams, and Brad Bird.  Again, grain of salt and all that....

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 9, 2012, 03:32 PM »
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 9, 2012, 05:08 PM »
I saw that too, not overly surprising I guess.  I sort of would have liked to see Spielberg give it a go, at least for one movie, but I guess that wouldn't really go in line with the "handing it off to a new generation of film makers" thing.  I do hope the rumors of Abrams and Brad Bird getting a look at the script, because I'm a fan of both.  I'd be a little surprised if Abrams would with Star Trek and all that.

I see that people like Zack Snyder and Tarantino have said they aren't interested (although I don't know that anyone asked them).  Tarantino in particular was a little snippy about it.  I just hope it doesn't devolve into a "no one wants Star Wars" thing in the media.  It is fun having Star Wars rumors/news on an almost daily basis these days though.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #35 on: November 9, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Speilberg would have been grand, but yeah, it's unrealistic. The reality to me anyway is someone like Joe Johnston whose relationship with the franchise/Disney makes him ideal. That being said, there could be someone out there unknown who has made an impression on Lucas/Disney that we're not aware of. Brad Bird, Alan Taylor - also other very good choices.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: November 9, 2012, 09:46 PM »
Latest rumors:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/08/toy-story-3-screenwriter-may-write-star-wars-episiode-vii

Oscar winner Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine) has wrote a treatment for Episode VII (and perhaps the entire trilogy) and may be one of the writers of the trilogy when it is scheduled to go in front of cameras in 2014.  It is said to include Luke, Leia, and Han and they are hoping to be able to bring back Hamill, Fischer and Ford to reprise their roles.  According to the report, the first three directors that the treatment is being sent to are Spielberg, Abrams, and Brad Bird.  Again, grain of salt and all that....
Arndt is confirmed as script writer

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2012, 05:55 PM »

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2012, 10:14 AM »
Casting the original actors Mark, Carrie and Harrison would be a nice hommage to us the original SW generation of fans.
We the X Generation deserve that

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2012, 02:24 PM »
I don't need to see Han or Leia.  They are legends and I don't want to see them old and rickety.  However, Luke should be there, as an old Jedi who is important to launching the new story.

Also, I am hoping, and I have heard, it's an ORIGINAL story.  No comics, novels, games will be used as a starting point.  And I'm glad...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2012, 11:15 AM »
Hey guys, what about Mara Jade character?

Do you think Shanon Mc Randle needs to appear on episode VII?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Hey guys, what about Mara Jade character?

Do you think Shanon McRandle needs to appear on episode VII?

I would think that, unless they are going to acknowledge the events of the Thrawn book trilogy, Mara Jade will have never existed in the canon of Star Wars.

Heck - we could join the adventures where Jaina & Jacen are the only children that Han & Leia ever had and Jacen never turned to the Dark Side. Or we could find out that Han & Leia had twin boys and it's Luke who has a daughter. There's nothing to say we'll ever see Jaina, Jacen & Anakin Solo or Ben Skywalker in the Sequal Trilogy.

I think whatever has happened in the EU is in jeopardy of having never happened or existed at this point.

And personally, I think they might actually, and purposefully do something different then the kids that have been created for the EU for the sole purpose of not having to answer the question of which EU stories/books/comics play into the timeline and which ones don't. It's much easier to say "that stuff never happened, here's what really happened" and move on.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Latest rumor....brace yourselves:

Darth Vader Returns?

Probably just another one of the many rumors that we'll read/hear over the next few years, but I could see this one really bothering people if it holds up.  Vader/Anakin's story had such a nice resolution with the redemption at the end of Jedi, so I'm not sure how they would bring him back.

I can understand that people (either at Disney or Lucasfilm) are realizing that they really had the "magic" with the Original Trilogy, and want to try to recapture that by using the old characters, but hopefully things are still going to make sense.  I'm sure that this one won't hold true, but if it does, things could really get interesting...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:12 PM by Brian »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2012, 10:02 PM »
Another terrible idea I thought of...Darth Maul is also of right now in SW Canon alive again...ugh

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 09:21 AM »
Darth Vader: "It was only a flesh wound."
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours